Cycle question

J & Jr

all the plumbing is finally finnished and the sand is in the tank and sump topped off.

my question is if I put a adequate amount of live rock from a tank that has been running for 2 or more years 1) will it still need to cycle or is the live rock from the established tank an efficent filter to make up for the new sand. 2) will my live rock lose all that beautiful pink,red and white coraline?

I don't want to move to fast on the new tank but would like to take the old tank down soon do to space limitations. thanks for any advise of your previous experiances.

there was CC and an undergravel filter in the old tank and with the stand it had no way to add a sump lots of things wrong which is why I decided on a whole new system. I did use about 20 gal. of old water in the new tank when I did a water change.

Keep an eye on it for a week. check levels. LR should be fine, but much better safe than sorry. I noticed you said you topped of the sump. Now I'm persumming, your "top off" level is "after" it's been running and "shut down" :)

I agree, with that much LR you should be OK, but keep an eye out and don't expect no cycle, if you don't you will have one, you know how it goes, throw some food in and wait a week and check your levels. LS will help, but just putting a large amount of LR will be a big help.

thanks guys I feel much better about the hermits and one small blue damsel I added to the tank. neather I or the previous owner could ever catch that fish before to give to a lfs (he's a fin nipper)

and when I was using a small net to help clean after pulling some liverock he just swam into the net so off he went to try out the new tank.

Has any one ever tryed to paint the back of the tank with the paint sign painters use on windows?

I just want to cover the back of the tank untill the coriline gets established enough to hide all the plumbing and thought that might be the way to cover it and still be able to clean it off easily latter if I want to.

CCR even with the tank shut down I still have about 5gal of head room in the sump. its the first one I'v built so I was overly conservative But thanks for the concern.

I checked all the levels and they are all good except PO4 that is .5 the highest I'v had in eather tank till now. will monitor all week and hope to move the few corals I have next weekend.

thanks guys I feel much better about the hermits and one small blue damsel I added to the tank. neather I or the previous owner could ever catch that fish before to give to a lfs (he's a fin nipper)

and when I was using a small net to help clean after pulling some liverock he just swam into the net so off he went to try out the new tank.

Has any one ever tryed to paint the back of the tank with the paint sign painters use on windows?

I just want to cover the back of the tank untill the coriline gets established enough to hide all the plumbing and thought that might be the way to cover it and still be able to clean it off easily latter if I want to.

How about some window tint? Easy to apply, easy to remove, not permanent, and cheap

P1010009.jpg

P1010011.jpg

P1010013.jpg

Impur I wish I had seen that befor I installed the 5 bulkheads i'm Not sure how easy it would be now trying to cut around all the plumbing it look's great on your tank allway's somthing to remimber on the next tank.

See what you guy's did not even finnished with this tank already planning the next.

• 2 months later...