Please Help Me

Jeramy

That was very awsome article I will need to read it a second time to fully absorb all of the information. It sounds like my low ph and alkalinity are making it so my calcium can not be used up. So as I am doing water changes I keep adding in more calcium that is not getting used there for elivating my calcium to monster leves 700. If I slowley raise my alkalinity and ph then more of the calcium can be used in the system and my levels should start to drop. At least that is what I took away from the article. Some of your real world experiences with balancing calcium alkalinity and PH, would be great to hear . I know mag plays a role in it all but I have not sprung the 40 bucks to buy the mag test just yet. On a side note what do you guys and gals use to dose iodine and what is a good level to have it at for molting crabs shrimp and my other little wiggely critters in the tank? =)

It sounds like my low ph and alkalinity are making it so my calcium can not be used up. So as I am doing water changes I keep adding in more calcium that is not getting used there for elivating my calcium to monster leves 700. If I slowley raise my alkalinity and ph then more of the calcium can be used in the system and my levels should start to drop. At least that is what I took away from the article. Some of your real world experiences with balancing calcium alkalinity and PH' date=' would be great to hear .[/quote']

I assume this is the link you are using ( one of the links above did not work for me).

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2002/11/chemistry

When you add saltwater you are not always adding more calcium since it is in solution. In other words, adding SW that has 420 will not raise your CA in a tank that has 700. It will lower it. Dilution.

I believe that with your excessive CA the easiest way is to use water changes to lower the CA. So does Randy Farley Holmes. In a small tank it should be easy. Because you do not have a lot of SPS to use it up it will allow quicker response and the ability to bring ALK up sooner.

Soda ash will bring up your PH and ALK, but seriously, "chasing PH" is is not fruitful. I would not worry about mag too much. It is nice to test but if you have good Mg levels in your mix and do water changes you should be OK until get a lot of SPS.

BRS (a group buy is forming now) has a good two part kit that for a 14 gal. nano would last forever.

from looking at your pictures. you may also have something in the substrate or some form of rock that is also leaching ca into your water. the larger black and white rock in the middle looks like granite to me. that could be an issue but im not positive. just throwing the idea out there. thats about all the incite i can give.

Archived