Top Off and Water Change System

FatChevy

So I get extremely tired of doing water changes and decided to create a reserve salt water container that way I dont have to bucket the water out every water change. I'm waiting on the fittings but I'm having the ro/di filter ran to the ro/di reserve. then from there I have a line ran from the ro/di reserve down to the sump on a drip system (till I figure a good ATO system I want)

Heres the photos of my work so far. in pic 1

arrow - piping from ro/di water to salt water container. once the ro/di water fills up it wll then start to fill up the salt water container.

arrow - This is the drain pipe that plumbs into the sump

arrow - drain into sump

qt1o.jpg

There is a shutoff so when no salt water is needed after change it doesnt just keep emptying. the reason the shutoff is so high is I dont want a bunch of salt collecting into the drain pipe.

qt2y.jpg

The Drain into the sump

qt3u.jpg

I am in the process of doing the same thing right now, I literally just came home with 2 32g rubbermaid containers, but had not thought to have the RODI overflow to the salt container, thanks.

Mines in the garage so no sump drip, but I do have a hose to run from the garage to the sump in the house so I can pump it in. To many dam 5g buckets in my past, and your past too :D

I am in the process of doing the same thing right now, I literally just came home with 2 32g rubbermaid containers, but had not thought to have the RODI overflow to the salt container, thanks.

Mines in the garage so no sump drip, but I do have a hose to run from the garage to the sump in the house so I can pump it in. To many dam 5g buckets in my past, and your past too :D

yes It gets tiring after a while. I'm thinking later I will put a bulkhead on my sump at the bottom and have a hose ran to my front yard so when I do a water change Its basically hands free. turn on a valve to let the water out and then turn on a valve to let the salt water in! (not at the same time lol)

less time for cleaning more time for enjoying!

not to sound stupid but what do you mean urs is in the garage so no sump drip? ur reserve?

I forgot to mention the salt water reserve with be fitted with a bubbler, powerhead (to move the salt around) and a heater.

Ya my water station is in the garage, both my tanks are in the house.

I will still carry the buckets to fill the ATO's I think, but not the salt, so a bit easier.

I tried to have two different plumbers come out and put a floor drain in my office so I could just pump old salt water out, but I guess they are scared to do it. Weird cuz the house drains system is literally under my sump, I thought it would be easy.

Nicely done, I have something like this in mind i just haven't implemented it. I'll be using a masterflex pump to change 1-2gal of water a day every day eventually. But for now, i just mix up in a bin like you are using for SW and RO, and i have a tube coming from my return pump to remove the water from my display very easily, then i still have to pump the water into the sump.

Good job with your setup, i bet WCs are not so much of a chore now eh

Ya my water station is in the garage, both my tanks are in the house.

I will still carry the buckets to fill the ATO's I think, but not the salt, so a bit easier.

I tried to have two different plumbers come out and put a floor drain in my office so I could just pump old salt water out, but I guess they are scared to do it. Weird cuz the house drains system is literally under my sump, I thought it would be easy.

Why not just do it yourself. either run a T off the drain pipe or buy a self piercing kit and then run a small line from that, through your floor to your sump?

Nicely done, I have something like this in mind i just haven't implemented it. I'll be using a masterflex pump to change 1-2gal of water a day every day eventually. But for now, i just mix up in a bin like you are using for SW and RO, and i have a tube coming from my return pump to remove the water from my display very easily, then i still have to pump the water into the sump.

Good job with your setup, i bet WCs are not so much of a chore now eh

Thank you. eventually I will make a custom acrylic "box" that has a divider in the middle. that way if and when I move it will be just one unit. even further in the future I will implement a timer system that will automatically do the water changes for me. all it takes it a little calculation and some know how.

I will have the drain on a timer and the premixed water on a timer. one right after each other. I'm trying to get my system as self contained as possible but in our house money doesnt grow on trees lol. started this a month ago and already sunk $2000 into it!

Archived