HELP LEAKY BULK HEAD!!!

Derbird

OMG

(flame) (censored) (flame) (censored) (flame) (censored) (flame) (censored) (flame)

I was looking under the 120 about 20 minutes ago and saw a drip drip coming from were my overflow comes out. I am freaking out at this point. I look every where and can not find any leaks all dry.

Finally I look up and behind the tank, I see water coming from the return bulk head at the top of the tank. Thank god its at the top! I have shut the pumps off, still drip drip.

Current plan, lower the tanks level and silicon the (censored) out of the thing. Is this a good idea, this is my first big tank. It is as tight as it will go but still a drip drip.

HerHELP.jpge is what I am looking at

You can't see the driping here but belive me it is there.

It happens. Silicone the heck out of it. Make sure you seal it all around and it should do fine.

Thank you, its good to hear it should work. I seem to be getting all kinds of new adventures in the hobby

If you need help i am just down the street

I should be alright I think, but if I run into any trouble I will definatly take you up on that. I really appriciate having people close by that will help out. ;)

Did it wiggle loose by chance? I was moving my lock line around one day and In the process it loosened my bulkhead screw enough to cause a slow leak.

It didn't leak until then but I got the final O-ring for the pump this morning so it must have just vibrated it for a few hours until it leaked. Then again I just hauled this thing across state lines so lots of chances to give it a good knock.

Is the rubber gasket on the inside of the tank' date=' thats where it should be, they should seal without silicone but I've had to use it before problem is you are going to have to let it set[/quote']

I didn't notice a rubber gasket but there is a plastic cover on it. I will see if I can't get that off to check what is (or isn't) under there.

I really appriciate all the quick responces. I have lowered the tank level and am letting every thing dry before I attack with scilcone. I put the bubbler back in. I never thought I would need those on a salt tank but it has really come in handy.

Get the quick set stuff at home depot. Don't use the 24-48 hour set stuff' date=' get the 4 hour ready[/quote']

I didn't even know they had a fast dry one. I don't think I will be able to go to home depot though. Its already 9:30 and its about a 45 min drive from here. Columbia County is great, but not convinent for shopping....LOL

But that is a good point, I'll have to leave my tank like this for a full day. ARGGGG. Plus I'm going out of town tomorrow. A challenge

Maybe not the right tools for the job. Try some large channel locks

Good advise-and overtightning unless you are using schedule 80 can crack the ring-these things dont need to be torqued on.

As Smann mentioned, make sure the gasket is on the inside and use the silicone if it makes you feel better/safer (I have never used but know peole that do) and tighten it so its snug/tight-dont blow a blood vessle torqueing the thing on-I've done that and broke the bulk head ring and the you r ****ed-(laugh)

At least you found it-could have been much worse

just a suggestion-wrap the clear vinyl tubing in electrical tape-that build up you see now will get worse and that funk does not need to be in your tank-also over time that band clamp will rust out as well-

Been there done that-

just wanting to help not bust your "corals" (whistle)

From my engine building days: You can NEVER seal a leak from the outside. The same applies to fish tanks. Don't use silicone. These bulkheads are designed to be hand tight plus a 1/4 to 1/2 turn more. The most you should do is use a pair of channel locks to gain some leverage. DO NOT use a hammer and chisel unless you a much bigger problem on your hands.

Wrap a paper towel around it once you've tightened it to be sure you've got it. I've taken to placing paper towels in strategic places around my stand, both in and out, to check for wetness.

Agree with stellhead77. I've always thought that if it says torque to 5lbs going to 15 lbs is better. Not true with bulkheads! It distorts the gasket and it will not properly seal. Channel Locks are wonderful. The only silicone I would use is the silicone lubricant and not the hardening type and only on the gasket if you want it.

Hardening silicone is great for glass to glass bonding but not effective for dissimilar materials such as acrylic or PVC with glass. There is a special silicone that is supposedly better at this bonding but I would personally not trust it in high stress areas.

There is also a special glue that will bond acrylic and PVC. In the end "proper practice" to use the bulkhead and gasket and install it correctly. I prefer the schedule 40 or acrylic bulkheads because I prefer the thinner gasket as opposed to the thicker neoprene gasket that is often found with the schedule 80 or EDPM bulkheads.

I had the EXACT same problem. Mine worked loose a 1/4 turn just from positioning my drain line. I very carefully tightened nut with channel locks and used aquarium silicone to run a bead all the way around. It's working great. It's not under positive pressure, so yes you can seal it from the outside without any worries.

Thank you everyone, this is why this forum is great.

I lowered the water level and checked the gasket. It look good. I screwed every thing back together and put a bead of silicone around it. I think just reworking to bulk head would have been enough but the silicone is for peace of mind.

The local shops don't have the fast drying silicone so I have to leave my tank lowered for the next 48 hours before it sets. DOH!

I have put in a heater and a bubble maker to keep my poor little damsel fish alive as well as my clean up crew. I will be in Milwaukie the next few days helping out my Grandma so my mother is in charge of the tank (scary). It should be fine but I'm a little nervious about leaving it in less then 100% condition right now.

Thank you again for all your help.

Archived