Ryans New Frag Tank Setup

R-3

So I freed up some space in the garage and I felt what better way to to fill than with a FRAG TANK!!

I came across a really good deal on a 48"x24"x14" Envision built acrylic frag tank. Its even made out of 1/2"! I got it home last week and just started today to get things in order.

So far i have built the stand. I still have to drill out the plywood top. I'm also debating whether I need to put some foam between the tank and plywood.

I'm not sure how I'm gonna setup the pumps yet, any bright ideas? It has two 1-1/2" holes and 3 1" holes drilled through the bottom.

For lighting I think I'm gonna go with Dual 400's with lumenarcs. I thought about 250s but I think 400's will do the trick.

So here are some pics.

DSC06528.jpg

DSC06529.jpg

It could have been yours at one point I bought it from Lowell (68fj40) is his screen name.

Honestly lighting depends on what ballast I find first. Lumenarcs are gonna be a definate though. Everyone that uses them seems to love them.

So has anyone thought about my hole/pump setup? I wonder how it was setup before? I thuought about using both 1-1/2" holes for drains and the rest for returns but I dont know. Later Ryan

• 2 weeks later...

DSC06593.jpg

So here is my situation. I have the bulkheads in but I am trying to figure out the best way to plumb it.

I have a total of 5 holes drilled in the bottom. The two outer are 1-1/2" bulkheads and the 3 inner are 1" bulkheads. I stuck a piece of pipe in each to. make it easier. Im thinking of using both outer 1-1/2" bulkheads as drains. Thus using the 3 1" bh's for returns.

This is the easiest way i see to plumb it. Is this good or bad? Does anyone have any ideas? I need the plumbing experts to come out on this one!! Later Ryan

lol!

That IS my old tank.

(sad) The way I had it setup before was as follows.

From left to right, THe 1.5" b/h was sump drain, basically a 1.5" standpipe. The 1" next to it was the sump return standpipe. the next 2 1" B/h's were closed loop outputs, and the last 1.5" B/H was the intake for the closed loop.

It was "custom" LOL

I wish I still had that tank.

Ryan,

I had an Ampmaster 3000 for the closed loop, and a Mag 12 for return. I don't know what you want to propagate, but that setup had perfect flow for SPS.

Sorry I don't have any pics, but basically the rightmost 2 1"b/h's were Tee'd together with a 1.5" Tee and I used 3/4" locline in the tank. The feed for the intake was just 1.5" flex pvc straight to the pump.

The drain to the sump was 1.5" cut down to about 12" from the bottom. I didn't get any gurgling with the drain setup that way, it pushed about 800GPH to the sump. It could have handled more flow, but it may gurgle with more GPH.

If I were you I would set it up the way I did, but I'm biased LOL! You're gonna love that tank once you get it going.

Feel free to ask anymore questions.

No problem.

The tank had to be up against the wall when I had it. It also worked out really well for the closed loop, as there were no extra fittings on the intake side of the closed loop. Just a nice bend of spa-flex(this was key). The 2 1" bulks(CL return) only had a 1.5" Tee, and 2 1.5" 90's necked down to 1". On the inside of the tank the bulks were teed again and necked down to 3/4"MPT for 3/4" locline one each side. 4 loclines pointed on the bottom of that tank made some great flow with currents bouncing off of all panes. It made some really good eddies.

There wasn't much that would stay planted to the bottom anyway, and I had 2 eggcrate platforms so the bottom 3 inches of the tank didn't matter much.

The sump drain standpipe didn't bother me as it was black ABS. I had green star polyps growing up it;)

That being said, it's always possible to just patch the holes & drill the back, or do an external overflow, but this setup was "custom"(Bow)

Yeah I was thinking that at first when I bought it like that. It works really well in my garage because

I can put it up against the wall. It shouldn't take up too much space though. Ill make it work :) I hope to get ahold of a couple people on here that have pumps for sale and then I can set it up. Later Ryan

• 2 weeks later...

Okay updates!!! So far I have all the equipment except a sump. Heres the list.

Return- Little Giant MDQX-SC

Closed Loop- Sequence Dart

Lighting- Only have one side right now- 400W Pulse Start PFO w/ Coralvue Lumenarc Pendant w/Hammy 14K (for now!)

Calcium Reactor- ALS CR-500

Charcoal- Kent Marine Reactor

All I really need is a sump. Trying to figure that out right now. I got the stuff to build one but the shop I usually use is unavailable for about 2-3 weeks. I really wanna get this going so if anyone knows of a sump around 24"w x 16" t x 16-22" front to back let me know. Later Ryan

Well thanks for all the kind words guys but this project has come to a halt. I picked up another Kawasaki 750SXI jetski this and wanna get it ready to go for the summer. I will be posting a for sale in the classifieds. I will have the following:

1. tank, stand, sump and plumbing

2. BRAND NEW- Coralvue Lumenarc Pendant (the big one!!)

3. BRAND NEW- 400w PFO Pulse Start w/ 2 Hamilton 14ks One was 2 months old and other was just fired to see if it works

4. BRAND NEW- Sequence Dart

5. Little Giant MDQXSC 1325 GPH@ 1 ft

6. 300w Titanium Catalina Heater

7. Full Calcium Reactor setup BIG ONE!

AND TONS OF OTHER STUFF