Tang feeding

J-Dog

I picked up my first tang this weekend, a Powder Brown. I want to keep it healthy by feeding it some greenery on occasion. It's pretty picky about what it eats right now....it won't touch pellets, but does eat my frozen mix. It has already cleaned most of the algae that was growing in my tank, so I don't want to run out of greens for it to eat.

Does anyone have any recommendations on what to supplement for its diet? Probably something I can attach to a clip so it can nibble whenever it's hungry.

I recommend either the Ocean Nutrition dried seaweed or even better, Julian Sprung Sea Veggies. The nice part about them is that they have never been boiled and roasted and contain between 20%-35% protein depending on the variety you choose. I like the green and the purple options but also carry the red stuff which is more of a natural dried algae and some tangs and angels really like it. If you get the stuff from the grocery store just keep in mind that it is roasted and has less overall nutrition at something like 1g/1-2% protein. I have fed both varieties for years and really do prefer the Julian Sprung(or other non roasted, saltwater fish specific products) stuff simply for its nutritional value. It's about 2 times the price but has about 10 times the nutrition :)

I recommend either the Ocean Nutrition dried seaweed or even better' date=' Julian Sprung Sea Veggies. The nice part about them is that they have never been boiled and roasted and contain between 20%-35% protein depending on the variety you choose. I like the green and the purple options but also carry the red stuff which is more of a natural dried algae and some tangs and angels really like it. If you get the stuff from the grocery store just keep in mind that it is roasted and has less overall nutrition at something like 1g/1-2% protein. I have fed both varieties for years and really do prefer the Julian Sprung(or other non roasted, saltwater fish specific products) stuff simply for its nutritional value. It's about 2 times the price but has about 10 times the nutrition :)[/quote']

Yah but can you roll sushi with it??? (laugh)

I didn't know that info, thanks for posting it. Of course i don't have a tang, but thats besides the point. :p

There are several options out there. If you are feeding a ton, I recommend rolling some Gutter Guard, zip-tying it to make a cylinder and then hanging that from some fishing line with a small piece(s) of heavy rubble in the bottom to add some weight. Then stuff the Gutter Guard with as much algae as you want them to eat on over a few hour period(some have this available most of the day). Makes for some fat, healthy fish. I like ot add enough that they will be able to eat it in a few hours so that your tank doesn't get too polluted from uneatin food(a good sized clean-up crew would take care of it if it did).

I recommend either the Ocean Nutrition dried seaweed or even better' date=' Julian Sprung Sea Veggies. The nice part about them is that they have never been boiled and roasted and contain between 20%-35% protein depending on the variety you choose. I like the green and the purple options but also carry the red stuff which is more of a natural dried algae and some tangs and angels really like it. If you get the stuff from the grocery store just keep in mind that it is roasted and has less overall nutrition at something like 1g/1-2% protein. I have fed both varieties for years and really do prefer the Julian Sprung(or other non roasted, saltwater fish specific products) stuff simply for its nutritional value. It's about 2 times the price but has about 10 times the nutrition :)[/quote']

Well put, us humans have a liking for taste over nutrition. Sprung makes a pretty nice magnetic algae clip also, so no more chasing the suction cup one around. My tang rips the suction cup one off and takes off with it

I feed our fish a variety of veggies and meat. If you use organic vegtables and do an RO soak it works very well. I use broccoli, zucini, garlic cloves, romaine lettuce, spinach, dried (not roasted) Nori, Just to name a few items in my gumbo. Its then soaked in garlic extract as well. blended up and frozen in baggies.

Do you blanch the veggies? I was under the impression that fish really hadnt adapted to digest things with cellulose (terrestrial plants). Most of that is done with bacteria. I have always been afraid it is just filler and fiber, which is also good in moderation

Do you blanch the veggies? I was under the impression that fish really hadnt adapted to digest things with cellulose (terrestrial plants). Most of that is done with bacteria. I have always been afraid it is just filler and fiber' date=' which is also good in moderation[/quote']

I do not blanch the veggies but i do select the leaf and discard the stocks and harder parts of the veggies out. Then i let them soak in RO water for a few hours. Been doing this for 3 years now.

I feed our fish a variety of veggies and meat. If you use organic vegtables and do an RO soak it works very well. I use broccoli' date=' zucini, garlic cloves, romaine lettuce, spinach, dried (not roasted) Nori, Just to name a few items in my gumbo. Its then soaked in garlic extract as well. blended up and frozen in baggies.[/quote']

That seems like a ton of work to feed one little tang. It seems a lot easier to clip a piece of seaweed and drop it in.

That seems like a ton of work to feed one little tang. It seems a lot easier to clip a piece of seaweed and drop it in.

I believe in providing a variety and balanced diet for fish, it makes them fat, happy and healthy. I find that you will have less bouts with parasites and disease with healthy fish. Look at your diet of food and then all the sudden stop it and only eat just a box of french fries a day and thats it. yea its easier, but its not the variety your body needs to be healthy. It is definitley a process to make the food but once its made, it lasts for several months.

I didn't mean to misinform u....I do provide a frozen mixture for my fish (not exactly sure what's in it, but I know it has a lot of different things). I also feed them pellets and frozen mysis shrimp. I just wanted to make sure there were enough veggies for my tang to thrive. I don't think it would be realistic for me to make another frozen batch of veggie food just for one fish.

+1 to the nori or seaweed. My tangs like the dried stuff way better than the roasted stuff' date=' the look the same but they can tell the difference.[/quote']

I agree. And I always recommend that when you don't see any seaweed left in the tank you should immediately add more. Tangs should always have a ready supply of seaweed.

There are several options out there. If you are feeding a ton' date=' I recommend rolling some Gutter Guard, zip-tying it to make a cylinder and then hanging that from some fishing line with a small piece(s) of heavy rubble in the bottom to add some weight. Then stuff the Gutter Guard with as much algae as you want them to eat on over a few hour period(some have this available most of the day). Makes for some fat, healthy fish. I like ot add enough that they will be able to eat it in a few hours so that your tank doesn't get too polluted from uneatin food(a good sized clean-up crew would take care of it if it did).[/quote']

I see someone is passing along tricks of the trade, LOL, I don't get why someone hasn't made these commercially, they are much better than clips, cleaner, and the food lasts longer also. I will probably end up running 3 of these on my tank with about 30 sheets at a time. Just an addition - You can also create a "flap" at the top of the gutter guard and magnet it to the top of the tank, this way it stays solid in place.

I see someone is passing along tricks of the trade' date=' LOL, I don't get why someone hasn't made these commercially, they are much better than clips, cleaner, and the food lasts longer also. I will probably end up running 3 of these on my tank with about 30 sheets at a time. Just an addition - You can also create a "flap" at the top of the gutter guard and magnet it to the top of the tank, this way it stays solid in place.[/quote']

You know I have to pass that one along! It's just such a dang good way to feed them. I agree, someone needs to take this thing commercial!

Archived