Achilles Tang Questions

NoobtoSalt

I'm thinking of getting an Achilles Tang at some point for the new tank and was wondering how many people on here have successfully kept one? From all the reading I have done they seem to be very tempermental fish and require a lot of flow. I want to get some fish that most people don't have in their tanks (more of a challenge) but also want to make sure that it's going to be the right fit for this tank. Any insight would be great.

The other list of fish I plan on getting for this tank:

Mated Pair crosshatch triggers

Blonde Naso Tang

Orange Shoulder Tang

3 yellow tangs

Chevron tang

Maybe some anthias again

And the grey bamboo shark I have already purchased..(clap)

An Achilles would do well in a 240g assuming there is a ton of flow, it is pretty sable, has plenty of vegies available and nothing to pick on it. I would consider looking into running ozone or perhaps a UV simply do to their tendency to be a pathogen magnet. I have sold many and have had pretty decent success with them myself. I would say they are about the same as a Powder Blue, Brown, or Black in terms of being hardy.

An Achilles would do well in a 240g assuming there is a ton of flow' date=' it is pretty sable, has plenty of vegies available and nothing to pick on it. I would consider looking into running ozone or perhaps a UV simply do to their tendency to be a pathogen magnet. I have sold many and have had pretty decent success with them myself. I would say they are about the same as a Powder Blue, Brown, or Black in terms of being hardy.[/quote']

[language filter]... you had to say powder blue didn't you....DOH!

I've had nothing but bad luck with those dumb fish. Once I get the 120 sold I am going to look into UV but for a tank this size it's pretty darn expensive. Oh well part of the hobby yet again..(laugh)

I have a large one, about 6-7 inches or so... I had went thru 2 prior to this as new additions and both died within 6 months of getting them... They seem like very neurotic fish and are constantly moving. The one I have had for over a year now came from a tank breakdown, the fish had been in the tank for over 3 years. He loves to swim directly into the flow of a MP40 and I see him do this in the middle of the night also. Be willing to feed a ton of high quality food to keep weight on as they do burn plenty of energy!

I have a large one' date=' about 6-7 inches or so... I had went thru 2 prior to this as new additions and both died within 6 months of getting them... They seem like very neurotic fish and are constantly moving. The one I have had for over a year now came from a tank breakdown, the fish had been in the tank for over 3 years. He loves to swim directly into the flow of a MP40 and I see him do this in the middle of the night also. Be willing to feed a ton of high quality food to keep weight on as they do burn plenty of energy![/quote']

How many Mp40's do you have on your tank? I've been thinking of getting some for my tank but not sure about it since I'm just doing a FOWLR.

Just because its not reef doesnt mean you wont benefit from higher flow. Bigger fish=bigger poop. You want to keep it in suspension to let filters remove it. Also keeps the fish fit and moving

I am planning on having two powerheads in the tank that are rated at 1650 gph each as well as a return pump rated at 2400 gph. Should be enough flow I would think for the tank. If I need to add a few more powerheads I will. I've got a few weeks when I'm setting the tank up to decide which route I want to go with it. Also my other question is should I still set the powerheads up on a reef keeper to alternate every minute or so?

i beleive Travis at up scales has a mated pair. i actually seen them in hawiia before they were shipped. I went snorkling with kevin from aloha corals and we stopped by his buddy that wholesales fish. that was the same place that had the hybrid achilees tang. it was there too.

i beleive Travis at up scales has a mated pair. i actually seen them in hawiia before they were shipped. I went snorkling with kevin from aloha corals and we stopped by his buddy that wholesales fish. that was the same place that had the hybrid achilees tang. it was there too.

I've still never been out there. Geez.. I'm leaning more and more on not getting one.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Archived