Will sand ever rinse clean

J & Jr

Finaly the leaks are fixed and its time to start adding sand and rock. I got about 80 lbs. of carib sea and started rinsing and rinsing and rinsing I started with about 10 lbs in a bucket rinsed and dumped water about 15 times. the first 4 the water was like milk by the 15th time it was only slightly cloudy will it ever rinse clear? with CC or gravel in my freshwater tank it washes clear the second or third time. do you realy need it to rince clear? at this rate it will take hours to rinse 80lbs. and I won't have any skin left on my hands.

This is what I've done and has worked great in the past for me.

Took window screen and lined the sink with it. Leaving plenty of extra for easy removal. The window screen is a perfect size filter. Dump the sand on top of the screen. Wash the sand in the sink sifting it back and forth getting it clean while freshwater is always running through it. Takes a little while. Then ball up the window screen with the sand inside and take it right to the tank and set it inside. Open up the window screen and pull it out and the sand falls out. Faster and cleaner than the bucket thing but the bucket will work too. Just a thought since you might have window screen laying around.

This is what I've done and has worked great in the past for me.

Took window screen and lined the sink with it. Leaving plenty of extra for easy removal. The window screen is a perfect size filter. Dump the sand on top of the screen. Wash the sand in the sink sifting it back and forth getting it clean while freshwater is always running through it. Takes a little while. Then ball up the window screen with the sand inside and take it right to the tank and set it inside. Open up the window screen and pull it out and the sand falls out. Faster and cleaner than the bucket thing but the bucket will work too. Just a thought since you might have window screen laying around.

I do this too, but I line a colander with window screen. It works well and I can then do say 15 lbs. at a time. It is nice to just lay the sand down because any silt leftover has already gotten to the bottom.