240 gallon tank

NoobtoSalt

Well it was only a natural progression that I get a bigger tank. So I went ahead and picked up a 240 8x2x2 today. Thanks to Derbird again for helping me grab it today. The tank is currently at Seahorse Aquarium to get refreshed and clean so I can get this build going. (clap)

Big thanks goes out to my wife. I know I'm (nutty) for doing this but I love you even more for putting up for it.

Here's some teaser pictures of the tank itself when we took it to Seahorse today.

2011-09-24122237.jpg

2011-09-24122248.jpg

2011-09-24122255.jpg

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That is one big tank. Looking forward to seeing it filled up. Keep those pictures coming.

Thanks! I'm pretty excited to get the shark in the tank. It will be about a month before it makes it home though. I'm going to test the tank out in the garage to make sure there are no leaks and everything runs smoothly before it makes the journey to the living room. I also need to figure out a way to hang the lighting from the brackets that Rick has built for it.

Sweet!!! Have you considered a cheaper light source' date=' since you won't be growing corals? Just sounds like it might be an unnecessary added expense.[/quote']

That's what I thought' date=' wouldn't it be cheaper to run three 150w metal halides? Plus bulbs, I think it would be cheaper.[/quote']

why not just switch to par38's? that would be the best. electricity wise, and bulb changing wise.

I mean seriously... think of the cost...

I just realized there were a bunch of comments on the lighting. Sure it might be overkill but it's going to look nice. I don't have to change the bulbs as frequently since I'm not looking for amazing par and if down the road I would like to go a different direction this light system gives me the opportunity to do so without having to change anything. It's about 440 watts or so. Still less than my halides and should run a bit cooler. The light cost less than three 150 watt halides plus bulbs etc. for the initial cost. And again I don't have to swap the bulbs out for a couple of years with doing T5's on a FOWLR. Yes I will have zoas but they will be fine in this tank for what I'm looking to get out of it. Also down the road if I decide to I can always pull a few bulbs out and just not run them and cut my costs down and still have nice lighting.

We now have a large tank as well and our lights cost us a total of $45. Sounds to me like you are on the right path here, by not going reef you are reducing, although very slightly, the demand on corals. Chances are there is a reef out there that will be happy that you are assisting it's chance at life. The more and more that get corals in their tanks also equals the fewer healthy reefs we have.

It's kind of funny that most hobbiests say that they are interested in sustaining our natural reefs and corals, all the while they are supporting it's destruction. This is why we went fish only as well. We actually do hope to have healthy reefs in the future to dive down and explore, would rather that than see it cling to life in a fish tank waiting for it's owners to drop the ball so it can simply die. Not a single coral in any tanks on this site will help our natural reefs....but every coral in every tank on this site has helped destroy those reefs.

Catch 22 I guess.

We just had a new neighbor move in with a black stand and tank that I can only assume he built himself and it is absolutely beautiful.

The other side is that the more we learn as a group about the propigation and breeding corals and fish the less demand there will be on the wild reefs. Also with a greater understanding of the husbandry of our corals and fish the better we can protect the reefs.

Not sure how my build thread went sideways but ok.................

I went ahead and sanded down the stand tonight and my wife painted most of it (I did a little bit but I hate painting). We will be doing more tomorrow painting wise and I need to get some of the old hinges off the door. They were a bit rusty. I will get pictures up once the stand is painted and put back together. I'm hoping to have water testing in the tank this weekend depending on if they are done with buffing the tank. If all goes well I would love to have this cycling and setup in the house by mid-week next week!

We now have a large tank as well and our lights cost us a total of $45. Sounds to me like you are on the right path here, by not going reef you are reducing, although very slightly, the demand on corals. Chances are there is a reef out there that will be happy that you are assisting it's chance at life. The more and more that get corals in their tanks also equals the fewer healthy reefs we have.

It's kind of funny that most hobbiests say that they are interested in sustaining our natural reefs and corals, all the while they are supporting it's destruction. This is why we went fish only as well. We actually do hope to have healthy reefs in the future to dive down and explore, would rather that than see it cling to life in a fish tank waiting for it's owners to drop the ball so it can simply die. Not a single coral in any tanks on this site will help our natural reefs....but every coral in every tank on this site has helped destroy those reefs.

Catch 22 I guess.

We just had a new neighbor move in with a black stand and tank that I can only assume he built himself and it is absolutely beautiful.

Oh and I'm still doing zoas, and I'm putting a threatened shark into my tank. Not sure how that's helping the hobby. Yes I know I just bashed myself but hey, I wanted a shark!

Oh and I'm still doing zoas' date=' and I'm putting a threatened shark into my tank. Not sure how that's helping the hobby. Yes I know I just bashed myself but hey, I wanted a shark![/quote']

Do you still talk to CA2OR? I only ask because I think he started a zoa shark tank before he left the island... LOL.

Archived