New to here and saltwater

FatChevy

Hi my name is Josh. I live in Gold Beach OR. I have a 76G oceanic half circle I purchased on craigslist 3 weeks ago.

I've since bought a new eshopps advanced 200 refugium sump, 80 Lbs. of live rock, 120 Lbs. of live sand, Ocean reef + 1 five stage 75 GPD RO/DI (from filter guys), 3 timers....

The tank came with mag 7 pump, octo skimmer (no clue what series - will be upgrading to a Super Reef Octopus XP 1000SSS), Coralife Aqualight Pro 150w (had to replace ballast and all bulbs) and a broke sump I ended up using the plexi for add-ons for my new sump.

I'm currently going on 2 weeks with having the tank up and running. I did the shrimp cycle and currently have a few snails and hermits in for now just to clean. I am going through an algae bloom at the moment. for some reason my nitrates are at a constant 20 ppm with ammonia at .5. I'm hoping this will clear up soon.

here are some pictures of my current set up.

If theres anyone from coos bay, brookings or gold beach let me know. I'm new and my only fish buddy right now is the internet! Thanks for having me on such a cool website!

imag0505l.jpg

imag0506o.jpg

Thanks everyone. I've done alot of researching and asking around. I'm still very new to this. I just want to make sure I've bought everything that's the best. I know the sky's the limit on saltwater and I'm going to make sure i reach the sky! If you guys have any suggestions or comments it would be greatly appreciated!

Welcome. I like to wait about 4 weeks and if the nitrates don't come down then i will do water changes to get them down.

Yes I was talking to Jim from filter guys and he told me to do a 50% water change and then 20% once a month. I'm hoping the nitrates go down on there own. I purchased a nitrate reducer (same method as vodka) which has mixed reviews but it's worth a try!

Welcome' date=' looks like you are off to a good start!, keep posting the progress its great to see tanks from the beginning[/quote']

Will do and thank you! I'm planning on getting some soft coral and a few other fish in a few weeks. oh and about 50 more pounds of live rock! need to finish the top of the wall

I hear you there man. I can always ship you inverts' date=' corals, and dry goods for pretty cheap. Many of the more distant members have me do that and it always works well :)[/quote']

I'll keep you in mind. it will be a while before I get anything else in the tank. I'm nervous I'm going to have a very bad algae outbreak. It hasnt gotten any better only worse

Archived