Long time fresh water keeper finaly going salt.

Derbird

Hello everyone,

My name is Thomas and I'm out in St Helens Oregon

Like my title says I have kept freshwater tanks for as long as I can remember. It is a great pleasuer as I'm sure you know to watch my little aquatic friends swim, play, and more often than not argure. It is usualy better than what they put on TV(laugh)

I have pretty much talked my self in to finaly starting a saltwater tank. I learned about this forum from some friends that started salt earlyer this year and have had great success, you know who you are...LOL. I almost feel funny writing a post now. I have been reading all of your posts and threads for a while now and almost feel like a stocker.(sad)

I have decided to go with a 75 gallon overflow that my LFS can special order for me. I have read many, many times go as big as your wallet will let you. The owner can get me a pretty good deal on it and a stand.(clap) From reading the other posts I've guessed that putting up prices if frowned upon so I will not put up the cost.

She has also quoted me a great price on a Aqueon sump with heater and all the plumbing for a better price than just the sump online. I am sure I will some day upgrade but I think its probably a good idea to go with a comercial one at frist. I don't want my future fish friends to suffer because of my DIY mistakes for inexperiance. Is this a good line of thought or I'm I making my first rookie mistake?

I did work at a pet store when I was much younger and thought salt would be no trouble. I helped maintain those systems just fine. Now I am reading a ton of stuff on line and spying on this forum and my eyes are opening to the exteam world of salt and all the stuff that goes with it. (scary)

I just wanted to introduce my self and say Hello.

I will have I'm sure more questions than I can now imagin. DOH!

Very nice and welcome! I agree, a 75g is a perfect size tank to start with. If she can get you a 90g for not to much more, I would probably go that route myself simply for the extra hight. Same demensions and would use the same stand so you would just be paying for a few extra inches of height. I had a 90g as my second reef tank and really loved it! You sound like you are getting a real good feel of the hobby and it sounds like you have some good friends to help you out. Saltwater is a game of patience and research and it sounds like you may just have that side down :)

Best of luck and if The Premium Aquarium can be of any service, feel free to hit me up!

Thank you for all the words of encouragment. I have no plans to rush this prosses. Not just because of the cost but there is just so much to learn and get a feel for. I just might have to look at that 90 gallon if I can get my wallet to stretch just a little bit farther....LOL

Yes indeed welcome, there are so many very friendly and super knowledgeable people here. If you have been stocking around for a while you'll have realized that there are many super great deals on livestock and equipment and dealing local is almost as much fun as saving money. Meeting these folks and seeing other setups, it makes you realize how much diversity there can be in equipment and critters. No question is stupid, the more you/we ask the better lives we can give our tank inhabitants and: we love pictures...

Welcome to the hobby.

Hiya! I'm new to the forum too, but have been tanking for about 3 years.

Funny what you said about TV! I only watch about 4 channels (History, Science, etc...) but even when I have the TV on, my joke is that I listen to TV but I "watch" my saltwater tank... cuz that's actually what I do.

Anyway, welcome to the hobby... my motto is "WATER CHANGES.......and patience." Sounds like you are taking it slow too... you're off to a great start!

Best,

Peex

Welcome! Probably have seen you at GPAS... you might want to check around before buying the sump as it might drive you nuts cleaning the 2 filter socks all the time, and it might not fit a suitable skimmer. I bought pet store stuff myself, it was a total waste of money... still using the Coralife Superskimmer (even though it leaks, randomly overflows, spits and splashes) on a 55 and the CPR backpack works ok on a 10 gallon tank, though it vibrates everything like mad. Cost of getting something better is not the issue, it's laziness. Once you get the Aqueon sump in you might be like me and procrastinate the upgrade for 3+ years, grumbling the whole time about it. (: At least it's not the Marineland Tidepool sump, had that under a 110 for a while. There are a couple shops here and additional local guys doing decent acrylic sumps for good prices. About ready to get some quotes myself unless I can track down a used one.

Kate

You guys are great. I just wanted to introduce myself and already I'm getting good advice(dancing)

I think I will look in to the 90 gallon, especialy if there is a $20 difference. That would be a no brainer then. I is funny how easily I can talk my self in to these things. My first thought was a 29 gallon and it has grown without even leaving the store(whistle)

Welcome, glad to see someone else is in St.Helens. If you are looking to save some money check out the LFS or craigslist for a used tank and set up. Yea as some of the others have said go as big as you can. I went with a 55g and wished I went with a bigger one. I am now planning on a 210g setup and in a short while break down my 55g

Thank you for the warm welcome. I would have never thought there would be so many local people here. Its nice to see little old Columbia county being so well represented.

A used tank terrifys me(scary) so many horror storys of huge floods and flopping fish. So I'm going new here but am definatly open to used equipment(whistle). I still have sticker shock about the cost of starting in this hobbyDOH!

TO LATE TO TURN BACK NOW

I just ordered my new tank!

Its a 75 gallon built in overfow with stand and sump/pump and all the plumbing(drinking)

It will be in on Tuesday(naughty). I still need to get the protin skimmer and lighting and then the really hard part can start.

I'm sure I will have to lean on all of you for help in getting this going. Thank you for all the adivice that has already been shared and the knowledge yet to be shared.

I guess its just about time to leave the Intoduce your self forum and go to build tank build threads(dancing)

Archived