Pulling live rock out of storage

Jeramy

Howdy Folks this is my first post, I am not new to the hobby but have been out of it for 6 years, I am planning to start back up again. My question is this 6 years ago I put about 2o lb of live rock in a plastic bag and it has been in storage all this time what steps do I need to Take to get this stuff back up and running I am planning a 10 gal nano any help would be appreciated thanks.

I personally would get it out of storage throw it in a bucket with some RO water and the biggest Powerhead/pump you have and leave it for a few weeks. Then get some SW in their and wait for a few more weeks. You will be fine. No different than cycling BRS dry rock. Good luck and don't rush it.

I wouldn't throw it out. I wold toss in a rubbermaid tote or plastic trash can with fresh saltwater for a few days, then scrub it really good, dumb about half of the saltwater out, add new saltwater and throw the rock back in. Repeat this and rinse the rock real well. If you have a skimmer laying around or are getting one for the nano, I would run that with the rock for a while. Add a few pieces of good live rock to the mix to help seed things back up and then let it run for a while. The process could take a while but with the right steps, you rock should be as good as new :) It's similar to buying dry rock from Marco Rocks or BRS with the added step of cleaning/cycling it real well. I have done this many times and always end up with some real good rock when done.

Zoolander has a real good deal on rock as well as Bicyclebill mentioned.

Welcome back to the hobby and to the forumn!!!

Awsome thank you for all your help one thing I have is patience I will take my time to get it cycled properly its been 6 years i can wait a few more months =)

I will start a new tank thread as soon as i get the rock started cycling I look forward to every ones input.

I thought about that , but...... I feel that waiting the extra time to properly cure this rock will be a good self disipline tool to help me stay away from the impulse purchases, and I am having fun getting back into the game nice and slow =) However the smell is one thing I did not count on, my pregnant wife however was all to eager to point out the stink for me.

Archived