Sign in to follow this  
KMiller

Help!!! Is my Anemone's death iminent?

Walked by the 20 and saw the gbta looking like this... you can practically see the whole way through him, and there is brown stringy mucous that looks like their poop hanging out of the huge gaping mouth-hole....

what do you recommend? I've never seen an Anemone die before.

DSC_0410.jpg

Yeah thats not good. can you give a little more info about the tank? any changes? will it eat if offered food?

Tank is officially about 3 months old, but when we set it up we used estrablished lr, ls, we even used water from our main tank. No recent changes to not. Nothing hosting in it. It's just the Anemone and a Damsel in the tank.

I would try to feed it meaty foods and watch it. I have seen some nems come back from the dead but that one looks bad. Since its just the damsel in there it won't hurt anything if it dose die imo.

Doesnt look good, If its been moving and attached there it will probably scrape off easily

It doesn't look great but I'm thinking it's pooping. I agree with cello but you never know. What color was it a couple days ago? If it looked bleached then it's dying for sure. I brought my lta back from the dead last year so I'm sure you two can do it. Good luck!

How does it look today? I used to have one and it kind of shriveled up like that every time it pooped - I almost tossed it out of the tank the first time I saw it. The mouth on yours does look really open though. Keep us posted.

Nems do that, I would leave it alone. Don't flush it and definitely don't try to feed it. Give it some time to see what it does, how long has it looked like that?

Seriously though I have kept nems for years and have seen this before and never lost one.

Thanks for all the encouragement everyone!! About an hour later it puffed back up and looks normal now... wow, Anemone's are some weird creatures!!

Well its good you didn't listen to some of us and stuck it out. When that has happened to me they end up floating around and take a trip thru the Vortech blender!

Thanks for all the encouragement everyone!! About an hour later it puffed back up and looks normal now... wow' date=' Anemone's are some weird creatures!![/quote']

So true, I am constantly amazed at how small they can get and then be fine the next day.

mine looked exactly like yours did in the first picture last night.i was to lazy to go down stairs to get my camera to snap a pic.then this morning it was back to buisness as usual.long story short is dont throw in the towel yet.

It's almost always best to take a wait and see approach to anything abnormal in your tank. Only bad things happen when you rush to fix something that might not need fixing. As long as an anemone is still attached to a rock or the side of the tank and not floating around, they are not dead or dying.