Tank set up question

Vis

Well I'm finally at the stage of setting up my tank. Two Advils and a glass of wine later and my aquascaping is complete.I started filling the tank and put in 5 gallons of RO/DI water and then the sand started making lots of foam? What's up? I cleaned my sand thoroughly and let it dry in the sun for about 3 weeks. Not sure how to proceed.

Just fill it with salt water and turn on your protein skimmer

I don't have a skimmer yet.I was going to cycle the tank for a few weeks while I am away and then add the protein skimmer later.I was also going to add the salt into sump to mix it. Still not sure why the sand is foaming.

A skimmer would pull whatever's making it foam out' date=' so I'd suggest getting one... soon. Are you using live rock?[/quote']

1+ on the skimmer.... and if you are using live rock you can be killing off anything that is living by filling the tank with Ro/di and then adding the salt... Some of the living things wont survive just plain water.

I'm not using live rock. The rock I got was covered with hair algae so I cleaned it and baked it in the sun. I was going to add some live sand to reseed my now dead sand as I baked that in the sun too. I didn't think I would need a skimmer until I addax livestock. Should I syphon off the foamy water and hold off till tomorrow when I can get a skimmer or mis the salt and add all the water.

I would mix salt water, fill the system, and get everything running. You'll probably want to skimmer for a week or two before you add anything, but the sooner the better. The benefit of having a skimmer when you first get the system running is that it gets broken in before things are depending on it.

Archived