Anyone want their own colonies of Oregon caught Tigriopus Californicus Pods?

So while do all my tidepooling I stumbled across several splash pools above the high tide zone full of tigriopus californicus ( Tiger-pods)

I made note of where there were and told myself I should go back and get some on the next trip. I finally did and I also took a bunch of the algae that was growing in the splash pools with them.

I've been divinding them out into new colonies for the past month or so, because they breed like little bitty teenie tiny rabbits(laugh)

My plan is to get enough colonies going that I'll be able to dump an entire colonie into my tank once or twice a week without a problem.

I've been keeping them in the window of my garage so the algae will grow, and supplimenting the colonies with Nori and bugs that keep falling into the water (laugh) In all seriousness a little algae and a little protein is all these guys need. They were living on bird **** in the place I found them(laugh)

Anyways, I know tiger-pods are fairly expensive for people to just dump into their tank, or to try out for the first time, so I thought I would offer up some starter colonies for anyone who wants them.

Totally free if u want to come and pick some up, or if your feeling generous I'll take cheap packs of frozen food in trade, full or half used, my coldwater tanks will thank you :D

IMG_20110730_190012.jpg

IMG_20110730_190032.jpg

IMG_20110730_190045.jpg

IMG_20110730_190100.jpg

IMG_20110730_190115.jpg

IMG_20110730_190020.jpg

Right now they are living and multiplying in room temp or slightly higher. I keep them in a North facing window in the garage. They could definately withstand the temperature, but they are so small that they dont really swim through water they kind of crawl through it. If you have one small shrimp in your tank, even a mysid, then it will easily polish off every last one of your tigers.

Best to let them reproduce in a safe environment and then dump them in as a food source.

• 3 weeks later...

So cool! Don't suppose you'd give up the location you found them? My mother lives in Port Orford on the Oregon coast just north of the California border, and my brother lives on the kitsap peninsula in Washington. never thought of collecting pods on the coast. So you just scooped up the algea and they came along? Then just into a tank with green water?

So cool! Don't suppose you'd give up the location you found them? My mother lives in Port Orford on the Oregon coast just north of the California border' date=' and my brother lives on the kitsap peninsula in Washington. never thought of collecting pods on the coast. So you just scooped up the algea and they came along? Then just into a tank with green water?[/quote']

I found mine in the upper splash zone above the high tide mark in Oceanside. They are so small that I imagine no one even pays attention to them, and they were only found really high up on the rocks where nothing else but them and algae would survive. Myself and a couple other guys who have gone tidepooling with me found them and noted what they were on a trip out, and then came prepared to collect them the next time we went. So we made sure to bring home the algae that was occuring naturally in there with them, as well as a good amount of the water they were in. I'm sure thats where the phyto bloom came from, which is just a bonus really :D They feed on decaying algae, so I through Nori in for them as fast as they will eat it.

I would love a mini colony' date=' are you going to the meeting on Saturday?[/quote']

I wish, I have work this saturday until 4 :(

Tigger-Pods (Tiger-Pods) is a registered trademark belonging to Reed Mariculture. You are welcome to promote your tigriopus californicus, but you cannot called them Tigger-Pods or Tiger-Pods unless they are produced by Reed Mariculture.

Thank you,

Randy Reed

I would be interested in some of these Hobbes-pods, Aslan-pods, Shere Khan-pods, Hungry Tiger pods, or Cowardly Lion-pods. ...I know that last one was a stretch but there are only so many literary tigers I can think of.

I just set up a fuge and they need some pod love and it is indeed true that the Tigger-pods® are a bit spendy.

Tigger-Pods (Tiger-Pods) is a registered trademark belonging to Reed Mariculture. You are welcome to promote your tigriopus californicus, but you cannot called them Tigger-Pods or Tiger-Pods unless they are produced by Reed Mariculture.

Thank you,

Randy Reed

My bad.

Little Swimmy Feral Feline Pods© it is then, (laugh)

Seriously though, if a mod wants to change the title feel free, it doesn't let me.

If anyone wants some little swimming things to feed their fish, they are essentially free if you go to coast and get your own.

Or you can get some from me for free as well, and I will gladly accept donations of frozen food to feed all the coldwater stuff or a buck or two for the tupperware container they are in.

Or you can bring you own container, just like when you get soup at a chinese food restaurant, and get em for free (laugh)

I don't think you technically called them "Tigger-Pods", but what ever. Did you find them in Saltwater? I found a big pool of them last year about 200 yards off the water at North Jetty in Florence. I tasted the water and it was mildly brackish at best. I didn't know what they were until about 2 weeks afterwards so I didn't grab any.

Okay everyone. I know the whole lawyer/legal trademark stuff is annoying, but from what I learned from a Snowcasso group buy is the owner of a trademark has to protect it. If they knowingly are aware it is being used and do nothing they can lose the rights to the trademark. Anyone who has had to pay lawyer fees knows it is expensive. Randy Reed was was also very generous at one of our meetings earlier in the year and donated boxes of reef nutrition products at the meeting in which Matt Pedersen did a talk about fish breeding.

Aquatic, it's nice of you to off these up for sale as food can add quite a bit to expense of running a salt water hobby. I will change the title.

I'd love to come out and get some and see your setup. I have a free garage window too :D

Sounds good :D

I'm usually home on saturday after 4:30pm and most all day sunday. I will for sure be home this weekend, gotta finish up some spray foam action so I can start plumbing the big tank.

I don't think you technically called them "Tigger-Pods"' date=' but what ever. Did you find them in Saltwater? I found a big pool of them last year about 200 yards off the water at North Jetty in Florence. I tasted the water and it was mildly brackish at best. I didn't know what they were until about 2 weeks afterwards so I didn't grab any.[/quote']

LOL, that is awesome :D Can't say I haven't done the same(laugh) I checked the salinity of the water when I got home and they run pretty high, considering that they get salt water splash and then the water evaporates leaving much higher concentrations. But they also get rain water so they can handle huge swings in salinity and temperature.

I've love to come get a starter culture! That would give me an excuse to check out the cold water system' date=' too![/quote'] Hit me up this weekend :D

.... Anyone who has had to pay lawyer fees knows it is expensive. Randy Reed was was also very generous at one of our meetings earlier in the year and donated boxes of reef nutrition products at the meeting in which Matt Pedersen did a talk about fish breeding.

I absolutely agree, you gotta protect what you work for :D

Was that the meeting at the Clown House a couple years ago? I actually made it to that one and really did appreciate everything Randy had to say.

Aquatic' date=' it's nice of you to off these up for sale as food can add quite a bit to expense of running a salt water hobby. I will change the title. [/quote'] Yeah I figure this was the closest thing to a "share the love" kind of thing I could do since I only have coldwater tanks now.

Thanks for changing the title for me, I honestly didn't know if anyone would know what I was talking about if I put Tigroprius Californicus in the title (laugh)

Emerald525 is correct - we have to at least make an attempt to protect our Trademark, otherwise we will lose it. Disney actually does not own the Winnie the Pooh and associated trademarks, there has actually been a legal case about there ownership for many years. When we trademarked Tigger-Pods Disney had the opportunity to dispute the claim, and choose not to. Tiger-Pods is protected under our Tigger-Pods trademark because it is so closely associated that it would cause confusiion for customers if they saw both names being advertised by different companies.

Share the feral feline swimmy things love!

I still like little red swimmy things best (laugh)

I prefer Feral Feline pods and Hobbes pods myself! (laugh) I did not know the generic name before and had to triple check the spelling before I changed the title LOL. The meeting I refer to was a recent meeting back in March that Randy Reed donated lots of items so the club could make up some money for the cost of the airfare to get Matt Pedersen down here. Come on folks lets' try to keep this thread on topic. I met Randy Reed and he was great to talk to and he does have good quality products.

I get why people are upset as it seems like Reef Nutrition is being the big bad corporate "bully" by posting in a little tiny forum like they have nothing better to do. However, I know a patent and trademark attorney and in this day and age of the internet and software to search for the name, they have to be careful.

Share the feral feline swimmy things love!(rock2)(rock2)

I get why people are upset as it seems like Reef Nutrition is being the big bad corporate "bully" by posting in a little tiny forum like they have nothing better to do. However, I know a patent and trademark attorney and in this day and age of the internet and software to search for the name, they have to be careful.

I was actually going to ask if you'd like to clean up the thread a bit so its just pertaining to information about the Tigriops and who wants them from me please :D

Share the feral feline swimmy things love!(rock2)(rock2)

LOL, totally :D Sounds like there will be a few people coming by this weekend to pick some up. Those of you who do, feel free to distribute them to anyone you'd like :D

Archived