Bad start to my first reef tank

Vis

It's been a sad and frustrating day. After many delays ,my tank finally arrived. First the stand was all scratched and banged up and when I finally filled the tank ,it leaked!! At this point I just want to send it all back. I am so disappointed and feel like crying!- ok I did actually cry :( I spent so much time finding the tank I wanted and this is a huge disappointment. BTW this is not meant to be a negative feedback post and I'm not mentioning names so hope I'm not breaking any rules. I just need to vent.

There are plenty of stores that will get you a tank at nearly cost-some cost plus 10 maybe 15%. Its no secret, the reason is once you got that tank you are hooked and forever a cash cow (laugh)

I got quoted a price for a new tank from a LFS and was told "its 10% above my cost" I found out later that this shop would have made about 50% profit on that sale, the tank cost 1200.00, I got quoted 1800.00 which was "10% of my cost"-They lost a customer for life on that lie.

I tell you this only becuase its worth asking around regarding who will do what for ya-Most reef stores are straight up, a couple will try an screw ya if you are nieve, or "trusting" (sad but true).

Dont give up-Congrats on the new level, Toadfish are bottom feeders anyway I hear-(clap)

What size tank where you putting together anyway?

You are right ,better to deal locally and shop around. The tank was a 50 gallon cube - I really like the cube look. I might just set up the 110 gallon I bought a few weeks back. I bought the tank for my FW fish and was going to use the live rock in the new tank. I'm a bit nervous to dive into a 110 gallon reef but I may just end up doing that.

You should definitely start with the 110 gallon. I started with a 20, wasn't enough room so I got a 39. (kept the 20). The 39 isn't enough so I put together a 55. I am still working on the 55 but that doesn't seem big enough so I just picked up a 90. (I still have the 20 & 39) I will now use the 55 for the sump of the 90 and hopefully I will be done but who knows, I may go bigger yet someday. Moral of the story, save time and money and just "Go Big"....lol

I agree with going as big as you can. We started with a 55 gallon and the footprint was too narrow to do any good aquascaping and then we settled for the biggest tank we could get down the basement. Of course we added more tanks since then LOL!

Well then maybe it will all work out for the best. The cube will be shipped back tomorrow and I'll start planning the 110 gallon . I'm getting excited thinking about the extra fish I'll be able to put inside and my hubby is starting to get interested too :)

Sorry to hear about your problems.

I agree to go along with a larger tank, much more stable. The smallest I would go is a75 with a 20 sump. YMMV. The 110 is 48 7/8 x 19 x 30 3/4. I would advise going to a 120 which is 4' X 2' X 2'. Much easier to pump light into the bottom and more room to aquascape. Call Eddie at Ed's Reef. He will treat ya right and give you a good deal!

Sorry to hear about your problems.

I agree to go along with a larger tank, much more stable. The smallest I would go is a75 with a 20 sump. YMMV. The 110 is 48 7/8 x 19 x 30 3/4. I would advise going to a 120 which is 4' X 2' X 2'. Much easier to pump light into the bottom and more room to aquascape. Call Eddie at Ed's Reef. He will treat ya right and give you a good deal!

Well your post made me take measurements as I remembered the tank was 23" top to bottom. The measurements are 72x18x23. I did a gallon calculation on line and seems I have a 130 gallon tank !

Archived