WTB skimmer about $100

dsoz

I just got a load of live rock, and my tank water is about the same shade as Mt. Dew. I would like a cheap skimmer- about $100- to get rid of some of the waste before it becomes ammonia. If you have small skimmer that works, but is collecting dust, let me know.

Larger skimmers would work for cycling the rock, but I would need to put it in the display tank. It would need to come out when the cycle is over (no sump to put it in).

dsoz :)

Well life is strange. I got home from work today and the water heater is leaking all over my basement. I now must spend my reef tank savings on a new water heater :( I will be looking for a skimmer again in a couple of months. I guess the rock can cycle in the yellow water for a week or two, and then get a water change... It is only rock...

Cheers :)

Thanks Sean. No extra filter, just a couple of powerheads.

I do have some old (10 years) Whisper Bio-bags with activated carbon (in sealed pouches). Would it help to just float the bags and carbon, or should I try to jurry-rig something to a powerhead?

I was thinking of putting one filter bag over the inlet of the PH, then putting a second bag with carbon OVER the first bag. Holding it all together with a rubber band... I'll try it.

Dsoz