Seamax Pictures as promised!

Emerald525

Well Seamax has come and gone! Beth and I had a great time!(clap)

Here we are on the way there Saturday morning!It was difficult getting there as the city of Seattle decided to close Mercer exit!DOH!

DSC09742ARW.jpg

We finally made it! It was smaller than I thought it would be and not as much signage as I would hae hoped to find the darn place!

DSC09763ARW.jpg

Here's some pictures of the booths

DSC09743ARW.jpg

DSC09746ARW.jpg

DSC09748ARW.jpg

There were lots of LED displays

DSC09749ARW.jpg

DSC09750ARW.jpg

Tim and Sunlight supply shared a booth

DSC09751ARW.jpg

Children's touch tank. This is where Micah and Marshall got all the free fish! I got a blue linkia star. I never noticed the sign above it lol or the sponsor

DSC09765ARW.jpg

The rock in here is artificially made. It looks real

DSC09755ARW.jpg

Here was our booth! PNWMAS in the house!(rock2)(rock2) Roy and Jim set it up. Beth, Roy and I helped tear it down! It's amazing what Roy can fit in a PT cruiser!(laugh) Roy did a great job getting donations for the club!(clap)

DSC09757ARW.jpg

The Seamax people donated the frag tank to use during the expo. This is where all your wonderful donations went!

DSC09758ARW.jpg

There were lots of nice raffle prizes!

DSC09764ARW.jpg

DSC09766ARW.jpg

Beth won some of the artificial rock!

DSC09769ARW.jpg

DSC09771ARW.jpg

Trautman won an RO/DI unit. Coming to a classified near you I'm sure!(laugh)

DSC09772ARW.jpg

I got a lot of nice corals here

DSC09767ARW.jpg

In case you were wondering what we did with all those nice corals over the weekend!

DSC09773ARW.jpg

DSC09775ARW.jpg

Suburban all packed up and ready to go! We just gotta go get Marshall! (Trautman)

DSC09776ARW.jpg

Marshall coming off the bus stop with a box of live fish from the touch tank!(laugh) I believe these are posted up in a classfieds!

DSC09777ARW.jpg

DSC09778ARW.jpg

Overall it was a fun experience. I met some people from other clubs and got some nice corals for me and others!

For all of those that enjoyed Seamax and those that wanted a little more I would encourage you to save up for a MACNA if you have the chance. It is everything Seamax is plus way more plus anywhere from 15-30 speakers in a 3 day weekend. It is a little bit more of an investment but worth every penney IMO.

Great recap! I definitely want to go next time

You should! I hope they have a next one!

For all of those that enjoyed Seamax and those that wanted a little more I would encourage you to save up for a MACNA if you have the chance. It is everything Seamax is plus way more plus anywhere from 15-30 speakers in a 3 day weekend. It is a little bit more of an investment but worth every penney IMO.

Beth and I were just talking about that. We were thinking about going to the one possibly next year. The one this year is in Iowa and we are really not interested in visiting Iowa (laugh). No offense meant to all you midwesterners it's just not on my must visit vacation cities!

There where Mermaids there!!!! AWESOME!!!

LOL! I couldn't tell if Beth and Marshall were smiling more for the prizes or the mermaids!

Beth and I were just talking about that. We were thinking about going to the one possibly next year. The one this year is in Iowa and we are really not interested in visiting Iowa (laugh). No offense meant to all you midwesterners it's just not on my must visit vacation cities!

All the more reason to go, you will stay for the whole meeting and not go out. (laugh) Although, you could go storm chasing or cow tipping.(rock2)

All the more reason to go' date=' you will stay for the whole meeting and not go out. (laugh) Although, you could go storm chasing or cow tipping.(rock2)[/quote']

You are correct I would not miss the lectures like I did with the beautiful Seattle weather on Sunday. Storm chasing and cow tipping just don't provide enough temptation! (laugh) Perhaps I could find a nice corn maze to explore!

The mermaids are a little bizarre and hokey! I love it!

God job represent'n the club!!!!

Yeah the mermaids were amusing. It was difficult to keep a straight face and not come up with a smart *** comment when they got my exhibitor pass but I refrained!

I went to MACNA last year and am going again this year. It depends on if you are trying to make a vacation out of it or not. It will be 3 busy days of fish geeking :) We are flying in on Thursday and flying home on Monday. I'm not that interested in Iowa either and am not really doing any sightseeing either.

Looks like Seamax won't be happening again!

I just saw this on another forum. Looks like no seamax next year

Hi all,

I want to thank everyone who has responded with such kind and encouraging words. I also want to thank you for being true to the hobby with all your support and enthusiasm over this past year. I have never encountered such a cohesive group of hobbyists spanning such a wide area before and it has been my honor to serve you every step of the way.

As such, it breaks my heart to infom all of you that SEA-MAX will not likely repeat itself again. We brought everything we had to offer but evidently I failed in some regard. I believe the show was executed well, however the numbers did not support it. We organilzed over 50 different exhibitors from all over the United States to come to Seattle in hopes of reaching out to the hobbyist community here in the Pacific Northwest. We were met with attendance numbers that were just too low to justify a repeat event. I am greatly sorry.

to rebut those who did not go for whatever reason:

1) I make no appologies for the timing of our event. Out of this ONE TIME opportunity in your life, if you chose weather over SEA-MAX, then I haven't much to say except we hope to see you at MAX in California some day. Rain or Shine, that venue does extremely well.

2) I make no appologies for the cost of our event. We are not a flea market. (sorry for the harshness of my tone, but surely there are financial realities of which I need not explain in intricate detail) We are far cheaper than most expos, tradeshows and/or conferences.

3) I do deeply appologize to everyone who had a vested interest in the continuation of SEA-MAX in Seattle. (vendor/exhibitor/attendee/staff/volunteer)

I had mentioned many months ago that it is not my decision whether SEA-MAX would be a continuing event or not, but rather the many clients that I serve. Unfortunately those clients were let down this past weekend by the masses.

Once again, THANK YOU to all who attended/exhibited/supported and/or otherwise participated in the Seattle Marine Aquarium Expo of 2011. I will never forget you. My heart breaks that this didn't work out as we had hoped but we still love the city of Seattle nonetheless. I have made many new friends in this venture so it is certainly not without its benefits. I cherish those of you who helped every step of the way. Please keep in touch.

We will of course see many of you at the next Marine Aquarium Expo here in Southern California March 30 through April1, 2012 at the OC Fair & Event Center:

www.MarineAquariumExpo.com

That's too bad:(

But, as an organizer of large scale events, I know these things sometimes take a few years to get going...making out like a bandit(financially) rarely happens the first year.

I see this as an opportunity to interested parties:

PNWMAS could hold it's own conference right here in Portland.

All that really needs to be done is:

secure venue(easy)

secure hotel(cakewalk)

convince vendors to attend...or crazy hobbiests...(we have like 10 local reef shops!)

advertise!

plus a few minor odds and ends...

That's too bad:(

But, as an organizer of large scale events, I know these things sometimes take a few years to get going...making out like a bandit(financially) rarely happens the first year.

I see this as an opportunity to interested parties:

PNWMAS could hold it's own conference right here in Portland.

All that really needs to be done is:

secure venue(easy)

secure hotel(cakewalk)

convince vendors to attend...or crazy hobbiests...(we have like 10 local reef shops!)

advertise!

plus a few minor odds and ends...

I was thinking the same thing. It sounds like Roy made a few contacts at the meeting and Michael has done a great job too as the vendor relations person. I think we have a pretty good following here and it would be cheaper to hold in Portland. I know there was something similar here in the past where Steve Tyree was here.

I know there was something similar here in the past where Steve Tyree was here.

And it was a financial loser for him and his organizers for the same reason....lack of attendance.

It's really hard to say why the PNW can't draw like other parts of the country do. Perhaps it's our lower population densities.....or that our population centers are just spread out.....or there just isn't as many dedicated reefers here. I do know that I go to Reefstock each year held in Denver......and they get over 500 for a one day event.

If a conference didn't work for Seattle, a similar conference certainly won't work here in an even smaller metro area. A boutique conference might work here though......one with a few speakers, and a few vendors. After Tyree's CFM up here....plus Seamax.....it might be difficult to convince vendors with limited conference dollars to come here instead of other proven events. Perhaps our area should be trying for a Reefstock type of event.....rather than a MACNA type of event. Every successful recurring conference that I've attended (and that's many across the country) all started small and built up a following and reputation over several years.

As Mandinga suggested.....it isn't terribly hard to organize something like this....but, it does take money......and someone or some club has to make that investment (and hope to recoup it). I'm not sure our club(s) or our local reefing population is ready to run with the big boys quite yet.

One more thing....if a little sunny weather really was an attendance drag, that really speaks volumes about our reefing population (for better or worse). I guess I shouldn't talk though.....I spent that beautiful Saturday in a poker room. But I did come out $1500 richer.....and I'm currently out of the hobby (which is why I didn't attend).

I was really hoping for better news out of Seattle.

One suggestion....I understand that our club is considering bringing Jake Adams in town as a speaker next month. He not only is a fantastic speaker.....he is the organizer for Reefstock. It's a golden opportunity to pick his brain if our club really wants to know the details and feasibility of putting on a boutique conference.

One suggestion....I understand that our club is considering bringing Jake Adams in town as a speaker next month. He not only is a fantastic speaker.....he is the organizer for Reefstock. It's a golden opportunity to pick his brain if our club really wants to know the details and feasibility of putting on a boutique conference.

Yeah I wasn't thinking of anything on the level of Seamax. You do have a good point Steve. I'm not sure what the issue is with attendance in the northwest but I was surprised at how few people showed up on Sunday. I don't think Jake Adams is coming next month after all.

Yeah I wasn't thinking of anything on the level of Seamax. You do have a good point Steve. I'm not sure what the issue is with attendance in the northwest but I was surprised at how few people showed up on Sunday. I don't think Jake Adams is coming next month after all.

Well that's unfortunate......keep Jake in mind if you ever need information on creating a small tradeshow. He is extremely well connected in the industry..... with speakers as well as vendors. Sundays seem always to be poorly attended......even at a MACNA type event. I'm guessing that's the reason for quite a few Fri/Sat or Sat only events.

Well that's unfortunate......keep Jake in mind if you ever need information on creating a small tradeshow. He is extremely well connected in the industry..... with speakers as well as vendors. Sundays seem always to be poorly attended......even at a MACNA type event. I'm guessing that's the reason for quite a few Fri/Sat or Sat only events.

Beth asked Roy about Jake Adams this weekend and I guess he has not responded. You bring up a good point about Sunday. Summer is just not a good time to have these type shows in the Pacific NW compared to other places. Having lived in Texas there was never the mentality that I must be outdoors every sunny day but here you just never know when you're going to get another one. Sounds like you did really well at the poker table. You must play higher stakes than I do!

Steve makes great points about these events. Timing is key, but we also should have realistic expectations for attendance.

The events I help organize are small(150-300 people) boutique style events. Some keys for attendance in a niche industry are to keep the costs down and the fun up!

Currently I am negotiating with a hotel near the airport. Our event has zero budget dollars to spend; but can usually secure 1500+sf for next to nothing. We are able to guarantee room occupancy, which offsets the cost for the hotel. It is key to be flexible on location, and pick a non busy season.

Keeping costs down is a surefire way to boost attendance...especially if people are on a budget and want to spend their money On purchases, not on admission.

I'm not sure what type of rent pnwmas would want to do, but it may be a different model altogether compared to seamax or MACNA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I usually play the 2/5 or the 5/10 no limit games at Spirit Mountain. Last Saturday was mostly 2/5.....but' date=' it was a very active table.[/quote']

Wow, that is a lot of money for the 2/5 game. I have played it a few times. It's so much better as far as making money until somebody makes a bonehead move and sucks out on you anyway! (laugh)

Steve makes great points about these events. Timing is key, but we also should have realistic expectations for attendance.

The events I help organize are small(150-300 people) boutique style events. Some keys for attendance in a niche industry are to keep the costs down and the fun up!

Currently I am negotiating with a hotel near the airport. Our event has zero budget dollars to spend; but can usually secure 1500+sf for next to nothing. We are able to guarantee room occupancy, which offsets the cost for the hotel. It is key to be flexible on location, and pick a non busy season.

Keeping costs down is a surefire way to boost attendance...especially if people are on a budget and want to spend their money On purchases, not on admission.

I'm not sure what type of rent pnwmas would want to do, but it may be a different model altogether compared to seamax or MACNA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well Isaac if you wanted to look into getting started you have my support!

Archived