750 Gallon Reef, 1200 Gallon System, Join the Craziness!

oxx155

Loving the idea of an L shaped sump.

Garrett showed me pics of the build, the sump is too pretty to hide...show sump?

That's a beast of a pistol shrimp right there. Very cool.

With the lack of mh's are you going to run a chiller?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Once the sumps are all in next week I will get some pics and post them up, from what I have seen so far I am super impressed with the build and its truly a tank of a system. Here's hoping the leak test goes well.

I am upgrading to 18 LED lights and will still run a chiller (just in case of warm summers in the future), but I am sure it will have a pretty easy job.

All I can say is wow...(drooler) I hope this is up and running by next spring when you host the barbecue (hint hint) and yes you are (nutty)(nutty)(nutty) but you are in the right place for that!(clap)(clap)

I don't think it will have many corals, but fish a plenty, and I am sure I will find an excuse to host the party again, LOL

[language filter], now thats a tank stand/setup/room! I like the surround material, I put up a lot of that in our commercial bldg and its not that easy to work with, looks like a really nice job! You'll be able to clean from floor to ceiling, cant wait to see the tank in place.

Pics of the 96x24x24 sump, part 1 of the L. Starts off with a section for all the drains to "drain" into, then flow over 9 socks, into the Protein Skimmer section, then into a 36x24x24 refugium, then into the bulk head area to flow into the next part of the sump.

P9190159.jpg

P9190160.jpg

P9190161.jpg

Next I have my aquascape prototype on a 4'x8' sheet of plywood, which is basically the size of the tank (add 12" to each side). I am not sure this will be the final result, but I like that there is plenty of room for the fish to live and swim and lots of room for corals, even possibly have different sections of the tank for different types of corals.

P9190162.jpg

P9190163.jpg

P9190164.jpg

P9190165.jpg

P9190166.jpg

P9190167.jpg

I also have another bucket and a half of rock that I will use for a captive fuge area (if I said it right), basically a darkened area full of live rock for pods and other goodies to grow safe from any predators, and hopefully flowing to the return pump to go back in the tank. I had a lot of success doing this in the previous system with a 90 gallon tank.

P9190168.jpg

Dude, your sump is bigger than the tank I'm looking at right now to upgrade to...

Your last tank was amazing as it was Doug. I can't wait to see this one setup.

Thanks, it should be fun. By the way I just put up some tanks in the classified section, maybe making it easier for you to upgrade :)

only 9 filter socks? That thing is going to be epic. Hoepfully members will get free admission to the springfield aquarium next time you host a meeting. The rockwork prototype looks really nice!

I thought 6, then was like why not 9! LOL

I really did laugh pretty hard about the Springfield Aquarium, I hope to have something everyone can enjoy.

The pics don't do the rockwork justice, it really looks so much better in person, and I am blown away at how much room I have, it will probably change slightly when it finally gets in the tank.

I personally would go with having a U.V. sterlizer on your new tank. I have one on my Fish Mostly tank.

I like you said.. It can't hurt.

But maybe there is a benefit for not having one if its a Reef tank only. That I wouldnt know.

I have described to this thread, and I have been enjoying it!

Tammy

I have heard mixed feelings, thoughts, and facts about with or without. I really like the fact that it can kill harmful bacteria, but I wonder if that outweighs the possible good bacteria it can kill. I've also heard that running it just during night can be more beneficial than all day.

Just confusing.

So I am not a salt expert but we know that UV kills indescriminently. It kills good bad and neutral. In fact 120 Watts is really strong and would probably kill copepods, rotiders, etc. I probably wouldn't use it, but you cloud install it and not turn it on in case you do want it (maybe if you get an ich break out or something)?

i would go though and install one myself. it will kill bactiria and algie in the water that flows though it and the good bactiria is "sticky" and mostly stays on/in the rock and sand. it is a good preventive measure. since we installed one on our tank, we only lost a six line wrasse that decided to go carpet surfing. as far as copapods, there is a chance for them to go though but your tank is big enough along with the sump, they will be in more from wrasses and such...IMO and what i have resurched/experienced

i would go though and install one myself. it will kill bactiria and algie in the water that flows though it and the good bactiria is "sticky" and mostly stays on/in the rock and sand. it is a good preventive measure. since we installed one on our tank' date=' we only lost a six line wrasse that decided to go carpet surfing. as far as copapods, there is a chance for them to go though but your tank is big enough along with the sump, they will be in more from wrasses and such...IMO and what i have resurched/experienced[/quote']

I somewhat agree. I ran 114 watts on my previous system and it didn't seem to hurt the pod population. In fact I had two Mandarins, two Copperband Butterflys, and numerous wrasses that were all very fat and happy, so obviously something was going right.

So I am not a salt expert but we know that UV kills indescriminently. It kills good bad and neutral. In fact 120 Watts is really strong and would probably kill copepods' date=' rotiders, etc. I probably wouldn't use it, but you cloud install it and not turn it on in case you do want it (maybe if you get an ich break out or something)?[/quote']

I imagine I will install one and if I feel I don't like it I can always turn it off and when I do need it turn it back on. We'll see, I guess testing is in my future.

wow that thing is going to be insane! Think it will be ready for meeting time around the same time next year?

It will be running and it will be full of fish and coral, may not be great looking, but the system itself should be a site to see. I definitely plan on hosting the meeting again. Maybe by then I will know enough about the LED's that I could show off their abilities in a clinic format for those that aren't sure yet.

Here is something I could use help with - Cleaner Crew Stocking List - How many and what?

Blue Leg Reef Hermits

Turbo Snails

Cerith Snails

Peppermint Shrimp

Cleaner Shrimp

Banded Coral Shrimp

Sand Sifting Starfish

Linkia Starfish

Tiger Tail or Sand Sifting Cucumbers

Fighting Conchs

Pinchushion Urchins

Here is something I could use help with - Cleaner Crew Stocking List - How many and what?

Blue Leg Reef Hermits 200

Turbo Snails 0

Cerith Snails 100

Peppermint Shrimp 6

Cleaner Shrimp 4

Banded Coral Shrimp 1

Sand Sifting Starfish 4

Linkia Starfish 2

Tiger Tail or Sand Sifting Cucumbers 6

Fighting Conchs 15

Pinchushion Urchins 3

Really have no idea. I would add some butterscotch snails too along with nassarius snails

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk