gone and left parents to care for tank

GuitarGuy

i left for 3weeks and left my parents to care for my 30gallon saltwater tank and i get back and have cyano everywere, my anemone is dying, brittle star lost its tenticles and rippied apart and dies, toadstool isnt perked up and is looking color,mass and is shrivling. fish are fine all snails are now dead. any idea its getting worse. im saving money for a bigger tank but idk if i can affort to wait 8weeks and i dont have enought to buy other than tank and sump

i did probly a 40% water change. they say they did them but they said they never put any of the additives in the tank so that could be why the fish are fine. lots of dead worms though could be a spike from them. i ran out of testing stuff though so i need to go down and have it tested at the petstore. i am for sure getting a bigger tank though as soon as possable.

no, nothing metal has fallen into the tank. i think im going to buy a tank already setup off craigslist this weekend or something. give my fish and coral an iodine dip and put them into the new tank and see if they get any better. i just dont think i can wait long enough for a new one to cyle and then ill just break down the tank. recure everything to get the cyano off and put it in the new tank if thats a good idea? iv only been in this for a year so im still somewhat new to this

no' date=' nothing metal has fallen into the tank. i think im going to buy a tank already setup off craigslist this weekend or something. give my fish and coral an iodine dip and put them into the new tank and see if they get any better. i just dont think i can wait long enough for a new one to cyle and then ill just break down the tank. recure everything to get the cyano off and put it in the new tank if thats a good idea? iv only been in this for a year so im still somewhat new to this[/quote']

If you look at setup look at my biocube.. Shameless plug... But sorry for your loss.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

i left for 3weeks and left my parents to care for my 30gallon saltwater tank and i get back and have cyano everywere' date=' my anemone is dying, brittle star lost its tenticles and rippied apart and dies, toadstool isnt perked up and is looking color,mass and is shrivling. fish are fine all snails are now dead. any idea its getting worse. im saving money for a bigger tank but idk if i can affort to wait 8weeks and i dont have enought to buy other than tank and sump[/quote']

Parents! Jees!!(nutty)DOH!

My guess is they likely overfed the tank too while you were gone. It's a common issue with people who are inexperienced. The fish look hungry and keep eating so they keep feeding. At the Pioneer school tank there was a huge cyano outbreak and we found out instead of a pinch of food they were giving an entire handful in the 40 breeder DOH! There was also algae all over the tank.

I don't think that is the only issue but it is likely contributing to the water quality. Perhaps throw a few hermits in there, try to vacuum out the cyano and increase the flow in the tank.

Also were they topping off the water and if so with what? Make sure they didn't do what my brother did once and use saltwater to top off. That's why you should check the salinity. If it is high then do a water change with a more dilute saltwater combination and add more fw.

I'd move everything still alive to either a new tank or rubbermaid tub(s) (used a beer cooler once in a pinch for a couple weeks, it was great too.) If you lost all those worms and tiny inverts who knows how many are in there rotting that you can't see. How long were you gone? Could be salinity problem, low alkalinity, overfeeding, heater fail, plus sometimes people don't know you can't spray air fresheners or use some chemicals near the tank, nor should you put your hands in if they are yellow with nicotine or have chemicals (even some soap) residue. So many possibilities. I'd move the survivers into the new tank and let the old one do a cycle for a while, and then test it by putting something in the old tank... trying to think of what would be a good test subject... xenia? Pulses when all is good, croaks when it's not. Toadstool frag might be good cuz they close up and shrink when things are bad but tend to not actually die. Plus there are an awful lot of them around, they drop frags like mad.

Anyway, good luck, glad you got home when you did!

Kate

Archived