Reefnjunkie's 400 gallon inwall

reefnjunkie

Well I guess I can say its official and I can there fore start a new build thread-(clap)

I am sure it will probablly be my last-(sad)(laugh)

Some know I have been working crazy the last month+ remodeling my family room in order to accomplish 2 things;

1.Give the wife what she has wanted since we bought the home years ago-and thats a NEW FAMILY ROOM-(wife) I guess the 'ol 70's natural Pine wood look was not doing it for her-(whistle)

and 2nd me having an inwall reef tank which is something I have talked to her about since we started dating back in the late 80's-(nutty)

Before I get going to far I must throw a few props out to a few that have helped tremendously (Wegotjs)and continue to help(Wanareef) as this is an ongoing project.

1st I want to thank Wegotjs-(icon)he put up with me during the remodel and did not cuss to much (censored) even after my mistakes and delays. Jon offered up his sheetrock skills(Bow) to help me keep costs down(highfive)-Granted I think he owns as much in corals as I do now or maybe its safer to say he owns my corals, and how I now have large frags-(scratch)

I need to show a few pics of the before room , but I'll keep it to just a few walls

Before I forget (since she may see this) I must apologize that it has taken me 10+ years to finally get to the family room-DOH!, (she says it only happened because I wanted a bigger tank-(plotting))

Here is the lovely look the Mrs. did not care for (At least I removed the Purple, Orange, and Gold shag carpet that was in each room when we moved in, plus the yellow flormica counter tops and burnt Orange tile that was throughout the house)-:p

Well here we go......(rock2)

AHHH the retro look;

Before6.jpg

This is the wall that will house the future 400 gallon

Before4.jpg

Before5.jpg

Say good bye to that look;

AfterPineWallsRemoved10.jpg

AfterPineWallsRemoved2.jpg

AfterPineWallsRemoved6.jpg

I plan to have a fish room that will be a section of the garage that I frame out and although it wont be nearly as nice as some of the fish rooms I have seen it will still be sweet.

Well its a bigger project that I realized but at least I can say

ITS ON-(yahoo)

Congrats getting it started now . Im pretty sure ur fish room will look pretty good

I am sure it'll be nice but compared to Dan's and Steve's it will have a lot of competition

This one's gonna be fun (popcorn)

The builds are the fun part

This is gonna be awesome' date=' plus you oughta get something for advertising Direct TV. lol[/quote']

I had to plug them, I was gonna see about some fish funds for the free plugs (laugh)

Finally' date=' it's funny how your tv remains on the same spot during the remodel.[/quote']

I never even noticed after 13-14 hour days I thought I was just watching the same show-the screen saver or the reboot pic after cutting the power

Looking good!! Allthough as mancaves go' date=' it was looking pritty good as is :) You saving any of that T-n-G wood? someone may be able to build a nice stand with it :)[/quote']

I was gonna save it but the way the room was there was not a lot of good full sheets-It all ended up going to the recyclers-(sad)

Looking good Brad! Direct TV sucks!

Dont be hatin Kim-(nono)

No direcTv is actually the best I have had all providers. Comcast and Dish network SUCK!!(laugh)

Back on track the progress looks great Brad. Can't wait to see it all done.

I cant wait either-(clap) and I agree I have had the other providers too but these guys seem to be a little better IME

I could not find a pic of the wall that will house the tank except for the one with this guys mug in it

Before;

BeforeFramingForFishTank2.jpg

AfterFramedForFishTank2.jpg

I had to frame it myself since I messed up on the dates and had the drop box dropped a week early-I sent a text to Jon confirming sheetrock work for that Thursday and he replied back " you said it was next week" Uh I guess I was a little excited-DOH!

Wanareef was gonna help with framing since I had not done it before but since I was a week early he could not make it over-It went ok, except for the fact of having to move an electrical outlet 3 x (the same outlet) I guess I enjoyed it so much I just did not want the fun to end

The width is right and the height is about 12" over so I can acess the fron of the tank from the inside-I did not put a beam on the bottom since there will only be 3.5" of the front of the tank resting on the frame and the tank stand will carry the bulk of the weight-I did double up on the 2x4's but did not have a pic of that

AfterFramedForFishTank3.jpg

I will also add a 50 amp sub panel to the garage that will run everything

Jon was a trooper like I said-when I removed the wood stove vent (going with a pellet stove) Jon and I sheet rocked the cieling only to find I messed up on some wirinig so we had to tear it all down and re-do it-(flame)

There went 2 extra hours-Thanks for being cool about that one Jon(clap)

Before;

RemovingWoodStove2.jpg

and after (the 2nd time)

AfterRemovingWoodstove2.jpg

Today Charles came by and helped out with the stand, most of it anyway. After seeing Steves stand I changed my plans a bit.

Here is the stand nearly finished-It really drives home the size this thing will be-(naughty)

IMG_2867.jpg.

I think it was Kim asking about where all the rock I am hoarding is, well its been in this tub for the last 2+ months just getting ready to go in when its time

IMG_2866.jpg

I'll need to post a few more finished pics of the room (just because I am so pleased with how it came together) and then this coming weekend I will be starting on building the new 400 gallon-or should I say I will start "helping" with the build of the new tank(whistle)

72x48x27 403 gallons

Well been busy building the tank and trying to figure what we are gonna do for trim.

Just another plug for Direct TV and the room before the trim-it sure is a nice change getting away from the knotty pine

here is the Direct TV plug

IMG_2872.jpg

this was gonna be the future spot for the inwall but the wife is not letting me do it until I do the trim work-(laugh);

IMG_2873.jpg

And a few randoms-new window (good bye single pane uninsulated POS), new pellet stove-well everything is new I guess-DOH!

IMG_2874.jpg

This is the ceiling work Jon did-its called hand croquet or something like that(scratch)-man that was some hard work

IMG_2876.jpg

OK and onto the tank sump and new frag tank (did I mention you need to use a little imagination)

Here is the tank minus the top and bottom-(see both sides and the front and back);

IMG_2878.jpg

Here is the top, bottom as well the frag tank and sump (behind the 450lbs of live rock)-(drooler)

IMG_2879.jpg

And lets not forget the work table AKA my stand;

IMG_2880.jpg

Well ok, it take a little time (a lot actually) routering the edges. This Thursday is an actual day to start gluing-maybe by Sunday I'll have a full fledged tank that I can put water in-(clap)

Here is the backside of the Family Room where the tank will go if I can finish the trim work-DOH!

IMG_2881.jpg

Remember use your imagination-(scratch)

The actual "fish room" will be quite a project and will be an ongoing project and I cant wait for that to be done before setting this up. I will need to tear all the old sheet rock down, move the pull down ladder for the attic and then hang a new ceiling, walls and then add the sub panel THEN I can move the tank in its place and START

Looking sweet! Can't wait to see the tank setup in the wall. Get that trim going!!!

Man I hear ya-I talked to her today and said "just waiting for you to choose the trim ya want"

The tank looks amazing!:p

I realy like the ceiling... Who is this Jon, and does he take frags?(naughty)

Oh he takes or will be taking frags-(laugh)

So the tank behind the door? Better make sure someone doesn't open the door too quick and shatter your tank.

Door opens into the family room from the garage and their will be a door stop, but the main tank sits in the garage and will be viewable from the Family Room

I likw the celing work!! I'm going to halfto look into how it's done :)

I think its actually called hand broquet or something like that, and looked like a pain in the shoulder-the wifes is very happy with it-Hell I was fine with the room the way it was, I'm simple/easy.

Well tomorrow is confirmed, the gluing begins, I hope to have something to update here soon (thats tank related)

LOL I just saw the update. I guess I was too busy being flooded with classified ads and searches for cheap live rock!(laugh)

This is going to be amazing when it is set up. Thanks for showing me where you are hoarding all the live rock! I have a rubbermaid tub like that too so watch out!

LOL I just saw the update. I guess I was too busy being flooded with classified ads and searches for cheap live rock!(laugh)

This is going to be amazing when it is set up. Thanks for showing me where you are hoarding all the live rock! I have a rubbermaid tub like that too so watch out!

I don have room for anymore, Finches was just a chance at upgrading some pieces-I still have about 250-300 lbs in my temp tank-I think I am good on rock-But I'll need corals soon (clap)

I don have room for anymore' date=' Finches was just a chance at upgrading some pieces-I still have about 250-300 lbs in my temp tank-I think I am good on rock-But I'll need corals soon (clap)[/quote']

I got some furry zoa frags you can have! (laugh) Share the bryopsis!

I think its actually called hand broquet or something like that, and looked like a pain in the shoulder-the wifes is very happy with it-Hell I was fine with the room the way it was, I'm simple/easy.

I hear ya Brad, we(that always means me)had to put up all new blinds, paint/wallpaper border & chair rail molding downstairs because my wife said it looked like it was furnished in "contemporary Brady Bunch" I love the Brady Bunch I mumbled to myself (while I was working)

Tank build looks great!