HELP! Skimmer not working properly!

cellowithgills

I have a different skimmer, but after the power is cycled, i have to blow air into the airline to get the bubbles going. Once it is going it works great, but it doesn't want start correctly. It has been this way since I bought it brand new. I read in some other forums that some skimmers do this, especially if they have been modded.

I have a different skimmer' date=' but after the power is cycled, i have to blow air into the airline to get the bubbles going. Once it is going it works great, but it doesn't want start correctly. It has been this way since I bought it brand new. I read in some other forums that some skimmers do this, especially if they have been modded.[/quote']

It does seem to have a hard time clearing the air line of water at the start up, but I haven't had to help it along yet.

I let it run last night and it seems to be working, but there's still large bubbles going through the chamber.

I have to blow in the venturi on my skimmer to get it restarted sometimes too.

Micah how long have you had it running? I don't think you've had it longer than a few days, and there is a break in period especially if you or the previous owner cleaned it with vinegar. Every time i clean my skimmer, which i do by soaking it in vinegar, i get large bubbles collecting under the bubble plate which then rise and kill the foam head. This lasts a day or 2, then it stops and runs like a champ. Give it thru the weekend and report back to us, if its still having troubles i'll come over and see if we can put our heads together and figure it out :D

i get large bubbles collecting under the bubble plate which then rise and kill the foam head.

You just explained exactly what's going on. I had it set up about 20 minutes before I posted DOH!. I've didn't really have to deal with a break in period with my Octopus so I think I over reacted.

Archived