Coldwater tank for inside my house.

AquaticEngineer

I picked up a tank that measures 18x26x18 and is made of 1" acrylic. Has a coast to coast overflow already and 2 schedule 80 bulkheads installed......................for $35 :D

Heres the quick pics that were posted on CL

3n23k73p65O35X05S4b6tdc62b2b023a61f1c.jpg

3k93m03o85W55U15S0b6te3549587bf7e18fa.jpg

I'm planning on making it viewable from the long side that doesn't have bulkheads, and the short side, then using the spray foam to make a background that incorporates lots of empty barnicles for my Grunt Sculpin. Should be pretty sweet, and its the perfect size for inside the house. I think I'm going to highlight some of the really cool stuff like the Sarcastic Fringehead and the Grunt Sculpin.

• 7 months later...

Wow, been a while since I updated this here (whistle)

Picked up my stand today, still need to get the black acrylic cut to cover the two visible sides and the cover pieces for the filtration area of the tank. Stand was a custom job by a guy from Vancouver who came out and took measurements for me to make sure the mini fridge and chiller would fit underneath in the stand inside of the footprint of the tank. It had to be open on the two wall facing sides to allow for ventilation of the fridge and chiller, and I still may get the acrylic side pieces for the stand done with louvers cut in them for vents.

2012-03-049511-53-2995546.jpg

2012-03-049511-53-1895612.jpg

Did some test fitting and checked the routes for the plumbing. Still needs to be skinned in acrylic, but you get the idea ;)

IMG_20120306_001730.jpg

IMG_20120306_001745.jpg

IMG_20120306_001809.jpg

IMG_20120306_001828.jpg

I'm guessing the little dorm fridge holds the ATO water?

The beautiful thing about a coldwater tank is that you have little to no evaporation since the water temp is lower than the surrounding outside air temp. So its just to house the doser that you see in the last picture and the associated foods I will be feeding through it. Mainly live phytoplankton and tigriopus californicus that I grow out myself, and suspended mysis shrimp for the larger animals like the pipefish, seahorses, lumpsuckers, etc.

I usually keep my frozen cubed food in there since it has a freezer compartment as well.

Usually just holds the doser and beer HA HA HA

Occasionally it has soda in there as well ;)

Hadn't thought of that' date=' but you're right, there would be almost no evaporation. Some day when I have time, I want to take a shot at doing a cold water pico tidepool tank. Do you think that would be possible? I'm guessing it would need a sump?[/quote']

The one I just made doesn't have a sump ;) We can come up with something for you I'm sure :)

It needs to be in order to prevent the tank condensating on the outside...Just think of a cold glass of water on a hot day; -)

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

Yup exactly.

The only other ways around condensation are dual paned glass tanks, or having your tank in an environment that you can keep the inside air temp at a constant and the humidity at a constant. If you can control those two variables and the temperature of your tank water, then you can control condensation.

Archived