fish recommendations?

J-Dog

Hey guys, I was wanting to start adding more fish into my tank, but don't know what kind I want. Maybe u guys could recommend a few of your favorites. I'm still new to the hobby, so I don't know what is out there. Right now I have 2 clowns, a blue damsel, a diamond goby, and a cleaner shrimp. My tank is 65 gallons and I want it to be a SPS reef. I've had a few fish die on me a few months ago (2 coral beauty, a goby, and a carpenter wrasse) and I've been a afraid to add more until my parameters were right. Everything looks good now, so I'm ready to add. What do u guys think?

There's a lot of nice colorful reef safe wrasses like the Mccosker's and solar. The melanarus does a great job of keeping pests off the rocks but tends to be pretty aggressive. I also love my Midas Blenny. Beautiful fish to watch. They are jumpers though so you have to make sure your tank is covered.

My Linneatus is my favorite right now but those are expensive.

There's a lot of nice colorful reef safe wrasses like the Mccosker's and solar. The melanarus does a great job of keeping pests off the rocks but tends to be pretty aggressive. I also love my Midas Blenny. Beautiful fish to watch. They are jumpers though so you have to make sure your tank is covered.

My Linneatus is my favorite right now but those are expensive.

Those are some great looking fish! Thanks for taking the time to tell me about them.....I can see u like wrasses (clap). I heard the McCosker's flash there colors around a female, so would it be wise to get 1 of each to see that happen? I am sure that something u mentioned will be added to my tank, thanks again.

If you try to stick with the less aggressive fish you i think you will be happier at the end. Once you get them in the tank will be pretty hard to take them out. I learned it the hard way with some damsel fish.DOH!

Yes, I want fish that aren't aggressive. My damsel has been pretty good about getting along with the other fish, except when I tried some green chromii that starved to death, cuz he wouldn't let them eat.

Those are some great looking fish! Thanks for taking the time to tell me about them.....I can see u like wrasses (clap). I heard the McCosker's flash there colors around a female' date=' so would it be wise to get 1 of each to see that happen? I am sure that something u mentioned will be added to my tank, thanks again.[/quote']

Yes if you have a female they will tend to flash more and the nice thing about wrasses and they seem to get along well. My sps tank has a linneatus, melanarus, some type of fairy wrasse, leopard wrasse and we just bought a potter's wrasse (hard to keep sometimes but this one is already eating). Oh yeah the flame fairy wrasse too. Tim at Westside has quite the selection of fish right now. The mystery wrasses are also nice but they can eat inverts. we have one in the other tank.

The mandarins are nice too. If you go through ORA the green spotted ones typically do well and will eat frozen food but it is still recommended to have an established tank with a good pod population.

Yes' date=' I want fish that aren't aggressive. My damsel has been pretty good about getting along with the other fish, except when I tried some green chromii that starved to death, cuz he wouldn't let them eat.[/quote']

I suggest you take your damsel fish out before you get other fish. They tend to bother the newer fish in the tank. You just gave me the example about the chromes fish.

Yes if you have a female they will tend to flash more and the nice thing about wrasses and they seem to get along well. My sps tank has a linneatus, melanarus, some type of fairy wrasse, leopard wrasse and we just bought a potter's wrasse (hard to keep sometimes but this one is already eating). Oh yeah the flame fairy wrasse too. Tim at Westside has quite the selection of fish right now. The mystery wrasses are also nice but they can eat inverts. we have one in the other tank.

The mandarins are nice too. If you go through ORA the green spotted ones typically do well and will eat frozen food but it is still recommended to have an established tank with a good pod population.

Potters wrasse hard to keep? I thought the same thing until i got mine,three days later it started to eat anything I would put in the tank. Before that he was just picking at the rocks.(pods)

I suggest you take your damsel fish out before you get other fish. They tend to bother the newer fish in the tank. You just gave me the example about the chromes fish.

That's easier said than done. I've tried taking him out multiple times, but with no luck. He was so scared after one attempt, he went into hiding for over a week. I thought he was dead, since I couldn't find him anywhere. Then he just popped up again like nothing happened. It's still a mystery to me (scratch)

I had two damsels and it took me hours to take them out. i didn't have corals at that time so i emptied most of the water out of the tank and i still had a hard time to get them out. I was so frustrated that day.(flame)

Hi,

I have a 65g mixed reef and I'm happy with whats in mine (still want to add more.) I have the following: six line wrasse, mated pair of false perculas, mated pair of bangi cardinals, yellow tang, flame angel, fox face, and 6 chromis. This is a established open aquascaped tank with overkill on filtration so my nitrates keep between 0-15ppm. My next add will be a larger wrasse. I just tried a larger blue head (yea I know kinda of risky) and he was awesome. He got alone with everyone, ate great, but died at day 6. So I'm thinking about a large Melanarus Wrasse or leopard wrasse for my next inmate. Definitely get that damsel out of the tank. I had one who would pick on any fish of any size. Google the coke bottle trap for fish it works great.

Best of luck.

Ryan-

I'd like to thank everyone for their input, but it looks like we are getting off track. I wanted to get fish recommendations, but we somehow got on the damsel subject, and now no one is recommending there favorite fish anymore. I have a trap I will use to try and catch the damsel, but my clowns always seem to go in before the damsel does. I will keep trying and hopefully it works this time.

Keep telling me your fish recommendations, cuz every time I read about one and look them up, the fish are beautiful! I can't wait to get some new additions (clap)

I'd like to thank everyone for their input, but it looks like we are getting off track. I wanted to get fish recommendations, but we somehow got on the damsel subject, and now no one is recommending there favorite fish anymore. I have a trap I will use to try and catch the damsel, but my clowns always seem to go in before the damsel does. I will keep trying and hopefully it works this time.

Keep telling me your fish recommendations, cuz every time I read about one and look them up, the fish are beautiful! I can't wait to get some new additions (clap)

OOPS! My bad, I starter with the damsel thing. i like the tail-spot blenny they look cool and have a nice character as well as the flame hawk fish. I just added mine not long ago and it seams to get along with all the creatures in the tank including the fire shrimp.

44_-_LennyS.JPG

Favorite fish of all time would have to be the labouti fairy wrasse. Really hard to find most of the time and usually cost around 200 bucks, but they are gorgeous. Can't go wrong with a tank full of fairy and flasher wrasses. Loved my mystery wrasse I had but it picked on my McCoskers and almost killed him so it had to go. You just have to be cautious with the Pseudocheilinus family of wrasses cause they can eat inverts and can get pretty aggressive toward other wrasses.

I love my mystery wrasse and the price has come down lately. :) I really like my blue tang, but I think a 65 is a little small for one. My pistol shrimp goby pair is one of my favorites, but they will burry corals on the sand bed and possibly cause a rock collapse. :( I have read that the mystery wrasse can become aggressive, but mine has been fine so far.

If you get a candy cane pistol shrimp it wont be as destructive. There are a lot of really cool shrimp gobys you can pair up with the pistol shrimp. Check out the Yasha goby and high fin goby; of course there is the watchman goby buy they are not as colorful.

one fish that i have absolutely loved is the midas blenny. they are super hardy (believe me, this guy has been rescued from the carpet etc multiple times) and i have had a bunch of ich outbreaks and he has never shown a spot!. excellent fish. a jumper, so cover up the top, and they get a little nippy. i also love yellow tangs, also very hardy. my advice would be to get more little fish than large ones. the tangs are going to eat and poop... A LOT. also love my christmas wrasse (a model citizen), my engineer gobies, and my fire shrimp.

Looks like lots of people love wrasses, but not so much on the Tangs......Is there something wrong with tangs? Are all tangs compatible in the same tank or will they fight each other?

Looks like lots of people love wrasses' date=' but not so much on the Tangs......Is there something wrong with tangs? Are all tangs compatible in the same tank or will they fight each other?[/quote']

People love tangs Jdog. It's just Tangs like a lot of room and can get a pretty good size so a bigger system is usually recommended. Some people will get them when they are smaller and then get rid of them when they get big enough. They are great algae eaters.

Looks like lots of people love wrasses' date=' but not so much on the Tangs......Is there something wrong with tangs? Are all tangs compatible in the same tank or will they fight each other?[/quote']

Tangs are the best!!! The problem with tangs is that they do fight and can inflict serious damage due to their weapon. Tangs also get too large for your current system IMO. Lastly they get sick easily, most notably Ick.

P.S. One thing I have noticed about tangs is that they need to eat a lot!!! If you under feed a clownfish it simply won't grow as quickly, this is not true with tangs who will continue to grow and become paper thin. :(

Archived