FRAG PLUGS REACTION TO GLUE

titus'reef

I bought some frag plugs and first I notices the glue doesn't stick on when it's wet. I thought hmmm... that's weird! Than I tried to see if the glue sticks on the plug when it is dry and it did. A few days later one of my nice frags from Tim was missing from the frag plug. I found it on the bubble coral beneath its original location. I think the frag plugs have some kind of reaction to the glue. I don't know why but it looks like there are oxides on both side where the glue was.

I hope this will not add unwanted chemicals to the tank.

Is there anyone experiencing anything like this?

Here is where the frag was glued to the epoxy.

attachment.php?attachmentid=11517&d=1309244869

attachment.php?attachmentid=11516&d=1309244857

attachment.php?attachmentid=11515&d=1309244834

attachment.php?attachmentid=11518&d=1309244884

post-6472-14186778707_thumb.jpg

post-6472-141867787073_thumb.jpg

post-6472-141867787076_thumb.jpg

post-6472-141867787079_thumb.jpg

What kind of glue are you using? I have had this happen before with many different types of plugs, and those are Mr. S's plugs, nothing in them that would harm your tanks.

And yes the glue always sticks better when the plugs are drier. And the plug will stick better to that location if you cut the tip of the plug off and make it more flat.

The chemical reaction that polymerizes (hardens) the glue is catalyzed by water. So if you put the glue on something wet its much less likely to stick. I usually use a paper towel to touch the surface where the glue is going to be on the plug and the coral itself.

That discoloration is strange. I've never seen anything like that. I have some of the TFT frag rocks, but have never put glue on them. I'm guessing a few of the frag plugs Ive gotten from Kim are TFT plugs and I have remounted some and never noticed that. I can also say that the frags were stuck pretty well when I removed them.

The frags were glued dry and than I places them into the tank. They came off by themselves. If there is bacteria than why does it grow only where the glue is place? I believe there is something more than bacteria. It looks like oxidations to me. I am using BSI ice-gel. That's the only brand I ever used and never saw anything like it. The glue has been there for only about one week, maybe less.

It may not be bacteria. I just notice it under most glue spots whether on frag plugs or live rock. It seems to pop up after a minimum of a week or so of something being glued down which is why I always theorized that it was a bacteria or something similar. It could be some form of oxidation, not sure. Smell it though :)

In my experience' date=' the discoloration taht you are experiencing is likely some form of bacteria. It's completely normal and will occur under any glue spot if given enough time. I think it's some form of anarobic bacteria. It seems to be harmless.[/quote']

+1... never had any issues because of it. and from the responce, we have all had the glue release before so that we could see it oujrselfs. look at the issues several growouts have had with glueing frags/corals.

Archived