Salt Brand

Reefer503

Hi all, I've been getting my gear together and planning out my installation.... newbie to salt. There are so many brands of salt out there, I was wondering what is the consensus on what people think the best salt mix is for a reef aquarium.

Any posts and information of why you think one is better than another would be appreciated. From what I've read, once you pick a brand, you should stick to it and I'm guessing some of you out there with many years doing this have experimented with different salt mixes.

Thanks

I, along with a lot of people, use Kent. Its affordable, most all the lfs's stock it and its a good stable (at least in my experience) salt. Theres a thread that goes into detail, and theres even a poll i think, about different salts.

Edit: it took some serious diggin but heres the thread

http://www.pnwmas.org/forums/showthread.php?23888-What-type-of-Salt-do-you-think-is-best

Thank you to those who chimed in and thanks to ReefSafari or whomever bumped the Salt poll from last year. It seems that Kent salt mix is used most in our area and I know that it seems to be more readily available at the LFS...which could definitely be a plus if I need salt on short notice.

Most of them seem to be priced around $50/175-200gal bucket.

One thing I find interesting is that if you look at salt polls and salt threads on larger "national or global" forums, it seems as though hardly anyone uses Kent. But here in the NW most of us use it. I wonder if that is availability or if we just know better.

I started out using Kent, only because my LFS sold it. I recently switched to Red Sea coral pro, since I started adding SPS into my tank. This salt has tons of good stuff like alk, calcium, and magnesium.....so when u do water changes, u don't have to dose right after, since it keeps your parameters higher than most other salts.

• 6 months later...

Archived