Hello--yet ANOTHER intro

Sol

Hi all,

Just wanted to introduce myself and my aquarium. My name is Sol, and I'm a student studying at Reed College here in Portland. I have had a 29 gallon softy tank for about 6 months now, and decided it was time to go a step further into the hobby, moving into stonies and eventually SPS. I was moving out to go to college, and it seemed like a good time for this transition. This decision was finalized when I was fortunate enough to come accross a used 90 gallon long (5' X 18" X 18") for sale.

Well, fast forward about two months and way too many dollars. My tank is coming to the end of its cycle, and I'm battling a serious hair algae bloom. Pictures to come soon.

Anyway, now that I'm coming close to ready for corals, I thought I'd meet some of the hobbyists in this part of the world. I look forward to meeting you all.

-Sol

PS, is it OK just to show up the pnwmas meetings? I saw there was one next week, but wanted to know if I need to somehow register before just showing up. Thanks much for any input.

Well, fast forward about two months and way too many dollars. My tank is coming to the end of its cycle, and I'm battling a serious hair algae bloom. Pictures to come soon.

Anyway, now that I'm coming close to ready for corals, I thought I'd meet some of the hobbyists in this part of the world. I look forward to meeting you all.

-Sol

PS, is it OK just to show up the pnwmas meetings? I saw there was one next week, but wanted to know if I need to somehow register before just showing up. Thanks much for any input.

Welcome... I look forward to your pictures- even if it's a hair algae garden.:D

Please, just show up at the meeting- you'd be welcome. Be bold and introduce yourself to those you meet- Reefers can be shy folk.

Tank will be mixed reef, but SPS dominated--I'll be new to stoney corals so I'll start slow, but torts are the corals I find most beautiful and that's where I'd really like to be headed. Also some interesting micros and other LPS should find their way into this tank.

As for fish, I plan to stock heavily, and have a huge skimmer in preperation for it (an ATI bubblemaster, a new skimmer to the market, basically a bubble king clone). I also might get an H&S if I find the bubblemaster isn't powerful enough.

I have a topic discussing fish lists here

Thanks for the warm welcome guys, and hopefully I'll see some number of you on March 18!

-Sol

OK, a picture of the tank in all its hair algae glory. Don't laugh (laugh)

reeftankshot.jpg

And I'm not sure why I took this photo, but here's some of the gunk the skimmer pulls out of the (Unstocked!) system:

skimmergunk.jpg

-Sol

Thanks for the compliments guys. I tried to aquascape this tank in such a way that there was a lot of swimming room for fish, and a lot of room for large coral growth.

I am physically removing lots of the algae. I'm also running my strong skimmer, and phosban, and cheato in the fuge, so I'm not sure how the hair stays alive...

Ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, and phosphates are all 0. SG is 1.025. The skimmer pulls out the amount gunk shown (about 2 measure cups, or a pint) every other day.

-Sol

Edit: R-3, sorry we posted at the same moment so I didn't get to answer your questions. The tank is braceless, and has starphire glass on the front and sides. It's 1/2" glass all around. I'm not sure who made it; I got it used.

Hope to meet y'all at the metting.

welcome abunch of great folks here and a little FYI your na,pho will always show zero when having a massive algae growth im betting its in your make-up or top off water if using RO might need to change filters but sounds like everything else is on the right track and you might change flake foods or cut feeding in half till algae prob is under control.

Hey welcome! Tank looks like its coming along, great tank BTW. Starphire, ATI skimmer and all!! Sweet!

Miles

Don't forget the Tek t-5 lighting and the Tunze streams ;)

I'm hoping that the hair algae will just go away on its own. Wishful thinking maybe.

Thanks for the compliments all, and I hope to meet some of you on the 18th.

-Sol

I know its a topic of debate, but I still feel a seahare does a much much better job of chowing hair algae vs a blenny. I think Turbos also do a good job, astreas etc etc dont seem to touch it much.

Welcome aboard~!

I agree. Nothing tops a seahare for hair algae consumption. Only problem is, when the hair algae is gone you have to sell/give away the seahare to someone with an algea problem. They need the algea to survive.

Jay

I dont think Lawnmowers eat hair algae. Ive had lots of people try it and none of them had come back to tell me how well there LMB did cleaning up the algae. Im sure some are different than others as with any individual.

I did find that seahares dont take to nori well, so they truely do need some sort of algae in the tank to survive. I wonder if they would eat cheato?