Oregon Coast Aquarium trip

Summer BBQ

Eugene Meetings

Future Speakers

Hope to see you there.

Sand exchange

Thanks for the info Jay.

I am looking forward to the meeting

Would anyone be interested in bringing 1/2 cup of their live sand at the meeting that we will mix all together in order to increase biodiversity in our tanks and share back. If you just want to share your sand without taking any back that would be fine too. I am just looking into fertilizing my sand bed which is now in its infancy, and in the past this has been the most rewarding way to do it. I have seen all sorts of pods, worms, sea stars, snails and other critters suddenly appearing in my tank after doing this multiple time with other reefers and never got any problem or undesirable creatures in the tank (that I know of)

Of course, and this is probably commom sense to all but If you have concerns about any bad "contaminants" currently in your sand or tank, you might want to wait until all is normal before sharing your sand (at least with me).

Would it be OK to just bring some new dry sand? I have my tank up with some water in it, and about 5 lbs of new, dry sand. I have been blowing a decaying piece of seafood around for about two weeks now. I am getting 50 lbs of rock from SeanF on 3/10 (ordered before he went to so.cal and sitting damp in his store until I pick it up tomorrow(clap) I'm so excited!).

I don't have a lot of diversity yet (who knows what may show up on my rock...) If I put in a cup of new sand, can I take a cup of the mix? If anyone is not OK with this, I'll just wait until I have something better to offer.

Or if you think it would be better to have the rock cycle first, I can wait for another sand swap in April, May, June... Whenever.

Cheers :)

dsoz' date=' I have two tanks, with different types of rock so most likely some different stuff living in each, I can bring a cup from each to cover ya[/quote']

Thanks- you really make a noob feel welcomed. (clap) Do you think that it would be ok to add LS while the tank is still in its first cycle?

you wouldn't get so many pods, but you would get some nice bacteria that would really give the cycle a boost, and some nice starts to things that might just show up after the rock cycles.

I've got tons of love for the noobs, it helps that some of my favorite corals are the easy ones that grow like weeds because i amost always have frags to give away too! (as well as foods, inverts and sponges, since i'm a hitch-hicker sponge fan).

How far along is your tank anyway?

Thanks oldbrownies.

That is most generous of you. I will remember that when I am also ready to populate my tank! But first let's get that live sand do its wonders !

Dsoz. You might want to keep your sand for now and wait until you see the light after the tunnel..(laugh)

Philippe

Thanks oldbrownies.

That is most generous of you. I will remember that when I am also ready to populate my tank! But first let's get that live sand do its wonders !

Dsoz. You might want to keep your sand for now and wait until you see the light after the tunnel..(laugh)

Philippe

Thanks, I've usually got some nice giant bali xenia and mushrooms i'll give out for free, if your looking for something for the tank, some of the "less desireable zoos" too... And stomatellas to start breeding populations, as well as tiny live shrimp for food, they reproduce like crazy in my overflow and sump and fish love em as a treat

Giant Bali Xenia, that would be nice, and I'll definitely be in the market for any kind of Zoos. I used to have about 20 different one and a full section of my tank just covered with it. I plan to do the same with the new tank. So any Zoos lover think of me when you get ready to frag a few polyps.;)

So is anyone going to bring sand??? I can bring some but I only have sand that is in the middle of my live rock cycle. Not a lot of diversity (starting to get diatoms).

I was also hoping to get some diversity as well.

dsoz :)