Anyone kept a marine beta?

city hunter

The girlfriend has been wanting one for awhile and I do like them, and have considered one a option for my tank upgrade.

Anyone actually kept one, and how do they do in a reef? Are there any real issues? They seem to get to a decent size so I was wondering how save inverts would be.

I just got mine the day before yesterday. They are absolutely stunning.

While I obviously can't tell you much since I've only had mine for a short time, the main thing is that before buying one make sure that it is eating. They can be very hard to get to eat. But once they are, they are a very hardy fish. Also make sure that you have several caves in your tank where it can hide it. They are slow moving, so if you have a lot of flow in your tank they won't like it, and due to that you might need to spot feed it.

They also have very good eyesight. They will notice your face and turn to look at you directly.

Here's mine:

imag0250g.jpg

imag0258h.jpg

Good luck!

I had one in my 65g mixed for over a year. He never picked on corals. It's a beautiful fish and a great conversation piece. Yes, they can eat anything that fits into their mouth, mine never did. They are apart of the grouper family. I got rid of him because they do not like bright lights and will hide until the MH's turn off. I had over 100 lbs. of rock in this tank with a sweet cave for the fish to chill in. So I never really got to see him unless I watched him during the one hour when only my atenics were on.

Ryan

Archived