LED Light Group Buy!!!

Ok so I have recently been in contact with a fellow reefer who has designed and had his own LED fixtures manufactured. What started out as a hobby for him is quickly snowballing with the growing interest in the light he has made. He had built several test runs, and this is the end product he ended up with...

A LED fixture housing 55 pcs of Genuine Bridgelux 3w LED running at 2 watt ( a special bin for the blues and whites but the blues are 453nm and the whites are 6500K)

60 degree LED ( these are not add on optics, the LED is 60 degree )

2 power cords and switches for independent control of blues and whites.

Splash shield on front. Heatsinks inside. Housed inside of a unit measuring 15 3/4" wide, 8 1/4" deep, and 2 1/4" tall. Unit also includes a hanging kit.

1 year warranty

Housings come in either Black or a Cream White (I have not seen the white ones yet personally)

Over 250 PAR at 24" and this has been confirmed by Reef LED Lights (who will soon be carrying this light, and sell it in the $400 range). PAR grows significantly higher as you get closer to it, obviously haha.

In the week I have been running this light, I have been VERY impressed with the quality and reaction I am getting from my corals. I have had a few corals that over the past 6 months or so have not opened up or looked happy at all...some misc zoos, tyree green polyped toadstool, and one of my favias. Within 2 days of being under this light, they had opened up more than I had seen in a long time (were previously under 150w halide). Same water, same everything, just different light.

Also I had originally thought this was the reefkoi unit when I first started talking to him, because the housing is the exact same housing. He told me that they do use the same housing, but all of the internals were very different. The reefkoi uses 119 1w LEDs, has no heatsink, and does not come with a warranty to my knowledge. So I did a little field test, went to a friends place who does have one of the reefkoi lights, and set them side by side. The look is pretty similar. Where the reefkoi looked a little bit closer to a 20k look (or 14k depending on the bulb) my unit looked to be closer to a 12-14k (depending on the bulb). Light output was close, giving the nudge to my unit for being a bit brighter to the eye. Light spread was tough to tell, the tanks were only 12" deep. At home I usually have it hung in the middle of a 4' tank, and get good light all across the tank.

When I asked him about the side to side comparison, this is what he sent me: "

A visual test is hard side by side, the illumination is evident but the spectrum and PAR is not. I assure you the ReefKoi is not up to PAR with these units, not with 1 watt LEDs of Epistar brand. The light was tested side by side with the Evolution by a respected Cree LED distributor whop also sells ReefKois. What he said was ReefKoi was below my light. That my light was between AI SOL and Reef Koi. He just placed a large order. The price will be going up soon to stabilize the market and not undercut my distributors. The prices I have before were intro prices. Interest is mounting. I have a distributor in France that just bought one for eval to sell in France for 450 Euros. "

I personally have not ran a PAR meter on them to test, so I can only go off of what I have been told and by my visual eye-test.

Anyways, customer service has been outstanding. The guy who has made these really has a passion for it, and the word is starting to spread quick on them. I have sent 20 emails back and forth and he usually replies within an hour or two every time. I have also talked with him on the phone, he really seems to know his stuff, and has put a lot of the grunt work in testing and working with these to get them where he likes. These lights right now are his second generation, and is already planning some very cool stuff for the next gen, but they won't be out for some time still.

OK sorry for the book there, I just wanted to cover most of the stuff I know about them now. Now for some PICTURES!!!!

1312252017_photobucket_75432_.jpg

1312252017_photobucket_75433_.jpg

1312252017_photobucket_75434_.jpg

2011-06-07_08-20-25_749.jpg

1312252017_photobucket_75436_.jpg

This was my first comparison, comparing the LED vs my 150w DE Sunpod (with a 14k bulb that really looks closer to 10k for some reason):

1312252017_photobucket_75430_.jpg

just blues on the led

1312252017_photobucket_75428_.jpg

1312252017_photobucket_75431_.jpg

both blues and whites

1312252017_photobucket_75429_.jpg

Just skylight light at around 10am

1312252017_photobucket_74498_.jpg

Same time with LED over it

1312252017_photobucket_74499_.jpg

As far as pricing goes, if we can get ten units, the price is going to be $285 each shipped to me at my place (I can make a portland run to distribute further from there, or wherever most people want to meet).

If we cant get a group of ten going, the price ends up being closer to $300. Still a heck of a deal in my eyes, considering you are getting PAR output of over a 400w halide for only running at 120w (including fans), and you wont have to replace bulbs once a year!

Anyways let me know if anyone wants in on this, I would prefer to not have to front all the money to get ten, then worry about selling them from there. I will only be buying one more for now. So I guess I will start a list of units that people want. He has some in stock right now, and will also be getting in a new shipment within about 2 weeks. Also he will be raising his prices soon, so we really need to get the order in within the next couple of days. So if people jump on this quick, we can get them here sooner and before the prices go up!

BUYERS:

Jase - jadams7 - 1 LED unit

Emerald525 - 1 LED unit - PAID via Paypal

Danik - 1 LED unit

Gabe - 2 LED units - PAID via Paypal

batchelor - 2 LED units

Now that I see a picture that is the one I bought at OAIB. This is a deal' date=' if I hadn't just bought 3.DOH![/quote']

Are yours the single watt leds or do they have 3w leds? I have not seen anything but single watt leds outside of the ones I have found that this guy had custom built.

Jay is this the same one that Roger just put over his 40 breeder. I have been on the fence with LEDs but that's a really good price. I would be interested.

Yep, Roger was the other one that got one of these with me! I will put you down for one.

If anyone wants to come have a look at mine, check it out in person, play with it, whatever just let me know.

No actually mine sound more like the 1w reefkoi style. Either way your price is great!

Oh yea! let me know how you like that light, the ones I have seen look pretty good, and give corals a real good 'pop'.

Do you think 2 would work well on a 120? (2'x4') If so' date=' I might be in.[/quote']

I would be pretty confident with 2 over a 120. I have 1 over a 4' wide, about 22-23" deep tank right now and am getting really good results. I dont have any SPS, but everything else I have is looking much better than it did under 150w lighting.

I can vouch for these lites. They rock the house. With just the actinics I could sell anyone watermelon zoos and you would think they are the coolest zoos you have ever seen. LOL. This is a great deal and the guy who designed them has been very helpful and supportive.

I'm totally interested' date=' the only thing missing is a dimable feature, is that something that can be added later?[/quote']

I am not sure how you would go about dimming these ones, they are looking to add that feature into one of their future models though, but who knows how long that will be, and how much the price will go up with the added features. Let me know if you are in for these or want to wait.

Looks like you guys are going to fill up this group buy pretty quick. Is there someone around Clackamas or Portland that has one of these that would not mind if some of us or I come take a look in person? Pictures for this type of thing just don't show what they really look like in person. I was thinking of getting in on this but I think I am going to go with a DIY fixture. I saw Reefnjunkie's new frag tank LED setup that thing is sweet that is what I think i might go with.

Alright crew, here is what I am thinking...

I have been in contact with the guy who has these lights, and he has just enough for us to put in our order right now and get them shipped out to us here soon. If we decide to wait a bit, he has a couple week wait until the next shipment gets to him. Also there is no guarantee that the price will not go up with said new shipment. My vote says we just put the order in, get us our lights, and call it good. I will try to get him to knock a few bucks off since we have half of our 10 person order, but no guarantees there, as the demand for these is pretty high, and he is selling them off pretty quick. Anyways I need to either put the order in today, or we will have to wait probably a few weeks to get the next shipment. I will give this a few hours, and we can hopefully get enough responses to have our decision by this afternoon.

Let me know what everyone wants to do!

I am cool with ordering now, seems like the interest has kinda leveled out. I will need to know the cost. I am deffinately in at $285... If the closer to $300 is more like $340 or something, that could put me out.(sad) Let me know.

Thanks Gabe

Archived