Diamond Goby question

J-Dog

Does anyone know if I need to directly feed my new Diamond Goby? Will he survive by just sifting the substrate or does he need to eat other foods? I feed my fish mysis and flakes, but they pretty much eat everything, so I don't think the Goby will get any leftovers. Another problem is anytime I get near the tank, he runs into his cave and hides. Should I just squirt some food into his cave? Someone please help (scratch)

Depends on how old the tank is? Older tanks will be better for him. I fed mine sinking pellets. So he could get some food. You can switch to that instead of flake if you want. Just give him some time to adjust to you. He should start to know you are the master of the food.

How long have you had the goby? If it is new give it a couple days to settle in. It should start eating once it adjusts to its new home.

He's been sifting my substrate since day one, but I just recently cleaned my sand with a syphon, so I don't know if there is anything in it for him to eat. I don't want him to starve, but how do I know if he's getting enough to eat? And I don't want to start spot feeding fish, so maybe sinking pellets might be my best bet.

I have two in my 90g and they always clean my sand and on top of that they never miss feeding time. My father's loves feeding time and gets quite a bit of food. He doubled in size in just 3 months from eating.

Mitchell is right just give him some time to settle into his new home. Mine are very photogenic now

Pellets is the way to go with diamond gobies. Also I bury a frozen mysis shrimp cube in the sand every once in a while. It is alot of fun to watch the fish dig out the shrimp.

Sounds like a good idea, but wouldn't my CUC find the buried food too? I can already see my nassarius snails eating the entire cube before the goby got any lol

Ive had mine for a couple years, he eats whatever, but mostly sifts all day. He likes the pieces of Nori that the tangs tear off and let fall. On occasion if I move a rock or somthing he goes nuts for what ever mess is under it.

The key is finding one that is not crazy and wont jump. LOL.

Archived