Howdy from a new reefer

JeffP

Just wanted to introduce myself and say hello. I just picked up about 45 lbs of LR the other day and and patiently waiting for things to balance out. I'd appreciate some comments on my rock distribution - like should I make the trip back out to Saltwater Fantaseas for more :) I'm sure they'd love to see me come back in for another few pounds!

All comments appreciated - good & constructive!

DSC_0835.jpg

DSC_0857.jpg

Thanks.

Welcome! I like the rock layout its nice and open which will give you lots of room for growth. Don't think I would add anymore. A little advice on it though, make sure that it is secure and will not fall over if you go to mount a frag or a snail gets crazy.

looks good.....any more info on your system? size of tank and sump' date=' lighting, filtration, etc.[/quote']

Thank is 60G, Sump - honestly I'm not sure the size (I bought it from someone who had to get out of the hobby due to work, got one hell of a deal) - but I'll include a picture of under the tank. I Do know I've got an Americle skimmer that first goes through a 100 micron sock for filtration. For lighting it's running 4 actinics, 2 10k MH and some moon lighting LEDs for the late show.

MollyMilo144.jpg

Yes, I deliberately left a good amount of swim space, and for growth. Any other opinions for this noob?

Thanks for looking!

Looks like a good setup. You might want to keep your eye out for a better/bigger skimmer. The one that you have now will limit that amount of life you can add to your tank. I've seen some good skimmers forsale in the Classified section.

Rich

Looks like a good setup. You might want to keep your eye out for a better/bigger skimmer. The one that you have now will limit that amount of life you can add to your tank. I've seen some good skimmers forsale in the Classified section.

Rich

Will do. How would I gauge it's effectiveness? If it's always nasty upgrade?

Do you have excess algae, how are you Nitrate and Phosphate levels? These are good ways to see how good your skimmer is doing and taking out the crap. I also like to see how fast the skimmer cup gets filler with garbage and the quality its pulling out. I have a DIY skimmer and I can fill the cup (about a 4 or 5 cups) in less then a week with coffee color garbage, I can also adjust it to give me tea colored or very dark. I like a skimmer that allows you to adjust the output, that way you decide what you get out of it, most skimmers its just a matter of adjusting the water level in the device.

Rich

Do you have excess algae, how are you Nitrate and Phosphate levels? These are good ways to see how good your skimmer is doing and taking out the crap. I also like to see how fast the skimmer cup gets filler with garbage and the quality its pulling out. I have a DIY skimmer and I can fill the cup (about a 4 or 5 cups) in less then a week with coffee color garbage, I can also adjust it to give me tea colored or very dark. I like a skimmer that allows you to adjust the output, that way you decide what you get out of it, most skimmers its just a matter of adjusting the water level in the device.

Rich

My ammonia is currently under 0.25 and nitrites are under 0.1. Just did the test :)

My skimmer is taking out crud that's a little nastier looking than condensed chicken noodle soup. And so far not too much actually. My rock was very clean and colorful as you can tell by the pics. So far I see very little/almost no algae - but then again, the rock's only been in there since Saturday morning.

Yeah its too earlier to tell anyway, get some fish and corals in there and then start watching the skimmer. You have a while, thats why I was suggesting to keep and eye out for a used one. Reefcentral.com is great place to look for reviews on skimmers and also to find some used ones.

Rich

Welcome to PNWMAS!!

Tank looks good. What kinds of fish or corals, etc are you planning on putting in your tank? I would add a couple more pieces of tonga maybe one in front and another one on the right hand side.

Thanks! I actually have a couple of pieces of Fiji branch that are in there now to help fill out the right hand side/middle a bit more.

I absolutely LOVE the look of Zoas, so I know I plan on finding some of those once my parameters are correct. (plotting) I also like the colorful hards that are floating around, so I think I'll get some of those to complement the softies.

As far as fish, I promised my ex-wife I'd get a couple of clowns and name them after our dogs (she took them), so I'd imagine I'd want something for them to host in. I also really want to try and pair up a goby and a shrimp to see how they interact. Wishful thinking I know, but it's the thrill of seeing these two animals working together that keeps me excited!

Welcome. Looks great. I love the look of a new tank. So much potential!Skimmate should start looking like dark green pea soup when you have more stuff in there.

Yeah, it's getting a little nastier now...

So I read on Reef Central that I can expect to see tons of bugs and other pods fooling around in the tank at night, I checked last night and saw nothing :( Should I be concerned?

Welcome to the site. The bugs will come' date=' it takes some time for it to happen. Looks like you've got a great start to your new obession. Nice rock, where'd you get it?[/quote']

Got it from Saltwater Fanat-seas. He said that his was pales in comparison to what normally comes in, it was pretty picked through by the time I was there apparently. I might make the trip out to grab a couple more "finishing" pieces this week... [language filter], had I known this hobby would make me this obsessive this early in the game I would of never started :)