NEED RODI TONIGHT please help

akambience

Huge thank you to Grassi, Topher, and bluecheese for your late night assistance, advice and support.

So what happened?

This has been a terrible night; starting with a typical water change and after only 10 minutes our fish were on their sides or belly up. Emergency water tests were all perfect. So my wife and I scrambled to set up our QT tank using the old water form our WC. Within 20 minutes we lost half our fish and the rest were thoroughly stressed, swimming sideways and gill pumping. All of our coral were closed and looking pissed. The water that was used in the water change came in a used 6 gallon jug from my LFS (name to be withheld until I can confirm or deny negligence on my behalf and rule out any other possible explanations or suspicions). Not until after realizing what had happened, did I reveal the culprit, the new jug. Credit owed to my beautiful wife who very much surprised me by preemptively tasting the jug water to confirm contamination. -This woman never ceases to amaze me. The water jug smelled(and tasted) terrible. Perhaps chlorine, perhaps something worse. When I bought the jug, they filled it up with salt water for a free fill and obviously didn't check to see if 1) it was empty or 2) clean. My entire tank smells like chemicals, and I fear a complete crash. The main tank was drained and refilled with new salt water from Grassi to hopefully scavenge the 70lbs of LR. The QT tank has a skimmer and canister filter on loan from Toph, and my surviving inhabitants look as if they will survive the night. (it is 3am so we are almost half there)

More details to come, I'll be at that LFS when they open their doors in the morning. hopefully we can figure out what was exactly in those jugs, and assess the long term damage. I offer again many thanks for the help.

There are a few people who will be getting Christmas cards from us this year.

Huge thank you to Grassi, Topher, and bluecheese for your late night assistance, advice and support....

There are a few people who will be getting Christmas cards from us this year.

I'm tempted to send them Christmas cards for helping you out too! The generosity of people on this forum never ceases to amaze me. I hope you figure out exactly what happened and get some justice for your losses. What ended up dieing and surviving (corals too)?

GL picking up the pieces and getting it put back together.

Update:

Pets on Broadway. Talked to the manager this morning, told him the story, let him smell/taste the jug. He took responsibility, apologized, pledged to replace livestock that died, and to set us up with all the RODI/Salt we needed for the inevitable massive water changes, he also kinda offered to replace the LR if its also shot. It all appears in all accounts that it was an honest and simple mistake of not rinsing out a very dirty jug of water. -A water jug fulled with cleaning chemicals- ...It turned out to be a mistake that trashed my entire tank, but the willing-ness of the management to help out was outstanding. Hopefully it's not going to be like a Katrina/FEMA ordeal but I'm optimistic and we'll see in the coming weeks. Lessons learned across the board.

Most of everything seems to be still alive this morning, the Chromis (surprisingly) are chipper and about, both the Skunk shrimp are also pretty active. Some of the mushrooms are still pretty irritated, the Xenia is whiltered but slowly moving, some of the button polyps and zoas are still looking pretty pissed half are open the half are shut pretty tight. The Nephthea looks the worst along with the smaller Xenia frags. The Babylon snails are very vulgar about the BB of the QT tank. Also surprisingly, the Seriatopora birdsnest also appears alive, but I don't have very mush experience with SPS.

I'm not sure that major pet-corporations would offer to take responsibility like this and help return our tank to the original state. I'm not sure that certain LFSs around here would be as compassionate, but I am very impressed with the genuine understanding and compassion of the fish manager Rob and the GM Joe. It was the modus operandi of these guys to make things right. ...You don't see that very much these days. And it is very much appreciated.

More updates to come.

Huge thank you to Grassi, Topher, and bluecheese for your late night assistance, advice and support.

WAY cool that these members would help you out and so quickly. All of you get some rep from me!!

Good luck on the recovery of you tank man. Scary stuff.

Update:

Most of everything seems to be still alive this morning, the Chromis (surprisingly) are chipper and about, both the Skunk shrimp are also pretty active. Some of the mushrooms are still pretty irritated, the Xenia is whiltered but slowly moving, some of the button polyps and zoas are still looking pretty pissed half are open the half are shut pretty tight. The Nephthea looks the worst along with the smaller Xenia frags. The Babylon snails are very vulgar about the BB of the QT tank. Also surprisingly, the Seriatopora birdsnest also appears alive, but I don't have very mush experience with SPS.

Maybe my magic cocktail of garlic, vitamins, amino, iodine, carbon, gfo and secret sauce worked lol

Pets on Broadway

This is Joe Morton, the GM from Pets on Broadway. I’d like to thank Tristan for being so great in his response to this whole situation. He has been extremely gracious and I really appreciate that he has given us the chance to make this right. As Tristan said above: we made a mistake. We try hard to avoid them, but they happen. Here are a couple of things we have learned and what we are going to do differently from now on:

• Saving a few dollars on equipment isn’t always a good investment. We found what we thought was a good source of inexpensive water jugs which we sold at near-cost to our customers. As we have just found out, this wasn’t the right move. From now on we will be getting our jugs from a different source. They cost a little more, but it will help us avoid anything like this happening again.

• Trust, but verify. The jugs were supposed to be food-safe. We took the company at its word. While it is necessary to have a certain level of trust for our suppliers, we will be diligent about verifying to the best of our ability the safety of our products. That may seem like a no-brainer, but most products would require lab tests to absolutely ensure safety. What we CAN do is smell-test and disinfect every container of ours we sent out of the store.

Rob, the fish room manager, has visited Tristan’s house to check up on the tank. He predicts a full recovery. We’re giving Tristan all the RODI he needs to flush and refill his tank. We’re replacing everything he lost, and then some. We’ve committed to sticking with him until we get him back up and running, hopefully even better than before.

I am amazed by the community at PNWMAS. Reading through this post I’m blown away by the responses of the members. I can think of very few groups who would rush to help a stranger. To hear Tristan talk about the outpouring of support really made me believe in the power of this site.

If anyone has any questions about this incident or suggestions on how we can improve, please don’t hesitate to contact either Rob or me (Joe) directly. We would love to hear from you!

Pets on Broadway – 503.282.5824

Joe Morton – jmorton@petsonbroadway.com

Joe, it's great to hear from you on the forum about the issue. I know a few local shops that would not even come close to the support you have given, let alone publicly post a reply and talk about it. I hope to see you sponsor the forum some day.

Wow, what great responses from everyone. Good job to the people that helped and good job to Pets on Broadway for stepping up and doing the right thing. Stuff happens, and when you handle it like an adult, it tends to work out for the best.

Wow' date=' what great responses from everyone. Good job to the people that helped and good job to Pets on Broadway for stepping up and doing the right thing. Stuff happens, and when you handle it like an adult, it tends to work out for the best.[/quote']

+1^ I agree thanks to all that supported Tristan . That's awesome I wish I could of helped and way to step up pets on broadway awesome

This is Joe Morton, the GM from Pets on Broadway. I’d like to thank Tristan for being so great in his response to this whole situation. He has been extremely gracious and I really appreciate that he has given us the chance to make this right. As Tristan said above: we made a mistake. We try hard to avoid them, but they happen. Here are a couple of things we have learned and what we are going to do differently from now on:

• Saving a few dollars on equipment isn’t always a good investment. We found what we thought was a good source of inexpensive water jugs which we sold at near-cost to our customers. As we have just found out, this wasn’t the right move. From now on we will be getting our jugs from a different source. They cost a little more, but it will help us avoid anything like this happening again.

• Trust, but verify. The jugs were supposed to be food-safe. We took the company at its word. While it is necessary to have a certain level of trust for our suppliers, we will be diligent about verifying to the best of our ability the safety of our products. That may seem like a no-brainer, but most products would require lab tests to absolutely ensure safety. What we CAN do is smell-test and disinfect every container of ours we sent out of the store.

Rob, the fish room manager, has visited Tristan’s house to check up on the tank. He predicts a full recovery. We’re giving Tristan all the RODI he needs to flush and refill his tank. We’re replacing everything he lost, and then some. We’ve committed to sticking with him until we get him back up and running, hopefully even better than before.

I am amazed by the community at PNWMAS. Reading through this post I’m blown away by the responses of the members. I can think of very few groups who would rush to help a stranger. To hear Tristan talk about the outpouring of support really made me believe in the power of this site.

If anyone has any questions about this incident or suggestions on how we can improve, please don’t hesitate to contact either Rob or me (Joe) directly. We would love to hear from you!

Pets on Broadway – 503.282.5824

Joe Morton – jmorton@petsonbroadway.com

this is good to read! LFS need to know that people will spend the extra money and by local as long as the customer service is there. you want us to spend our money and by local to support you? Then all we ask in return is that you treat us as a local customer. This is a great example of this.

• 2 weeks later...

Update from the crash:

Update from the crash:

The staff at Pets on Broadway figured out that the jugs were previously used to store cherry syrup. To prep them for aquarium use, they got rinsed with bleach; however, my jug was never emptied. Some cherry syrup, some bleach, topped off with saltwater. An honest mistake and the management have been wonderful about the whole situation.

Our tank was torn down; the critters and remaining fish went into an Ikea tub for a week and the LR was put into a holding tank. I learned how hard it is to maintain parameters with such a small volume of water. A true challenge. You guys with Nanocubes are nuts. Pets on Broadway provided us with an endless supply of water to get our tank going again, so the LR was thoroughly rinsed. The sand got scrubbed, as well as the tank, sump, skimmer, and everything in it. One full week later, the tank was refilled and LR replaced. Pets on Broadway gave us some LS and LR rubble to seed any of the bacteria that may have died. We slowly began returning our remaining inhabitants to the tank throughout the weekend.

I’m impressed with the resilience of some of these creatures. We lost only a few crabs and snails during the whole reintroduction ordeal. Corals are all doing well and the remaining fish seem thrilled to be out of the tub. We are now waiting for the tank to stabilize, we have not yet seen any cycling spikes, which has been a comfort and a surprise. The skimmer started producing a nice dark skimmate at about three to four days in and the cleaner shrimp released their eggs on the full moon; then promptly molted. Rob at Pets on Broadway and I have concurred that replacement fish will be introduced in a week or two to make sure that the major cycling has taken its course and stabilized.

Survivors: Two Blue/green Chromis, two Cleaner Skunk shrimp, 5 headed Candycane coral, a bunch of Xenia(maybe pompom?), a small handful of Mushrooms(Actinodiscus), Kenya Tree(Capnella), Caulifower (Cladiella), some small Zoa frags, two heads of Hammerhead coral, Birdsnest frag, an unidentified Acropra frag, a Nephthea frag, a variety of Button polyps(Protopalythoa sp.) a giant feather duster/tube worm, and about two dozen crabs and snails. Most of these guys were pretty closed up and looking unhappy while in the QT, but they are all looking great after going back into the display tank.

Another huge thank you to Alex, Philip, and Chris, (Grassi, Bluecheese, and Topher) and Smann for ensuring that the majority if what did survive, did. Without their late-night support, there would have been many more dead critters.

Somewhat starting over means a new post-crash thread; coming soon.

Here are some pictures of the tear down, and consequential destruction of our living room for a week.

LR from a freshly drained tank. The smell combination of Chlorine and LR is a smell I wish never to smell again.

IMAG0540.jpg

More exposed LR before it was put into new saltwater from Alex. Around about 1am.

IMAG0541.jpg

A line of 3 'dunking' buckets was used to best rinse off all the LR. It worked pretty well. The first bucket was pretty dirty after all the rock went through the line.

IMAG0548.jpgIMAG0547.jpg

Clean tank, clean sand, clean rock, clean sump.

IMAG0546.jpgIMAG0554.jpg

A sparkling sump. I was so proud. IMAG0551.jpgIMAG0552.jpg

Archived