Looking for Southdown-Live Sand and Caulerpa

bluecheese

New to the PNWMAS and just starting my tank after waiting and waiting for the last 2 years.

Anyone knows where to find Southdown in the Portland Area? I used to buy it at HD in North Carolina, but could not find it here.

Also if anyone has some live sand and Caulerpa to give away, that would be great.

Needless to say once the tank is ready, any generous frag gifts will be received with a celebration. (clap)

Thanks

Thanks H20 I'll take the Caulerpa.

For the sand, Anyone you recommend in the SW area? I went to Aquaticus and they were almost clueless about it. I have heard of upscales but have not checked them out yet.

I am going to need quite a bit to make a 5 inch deep sand bed in my 200 Gal. Would online prices be much cheaper? Has anyone done the comparison? I'd rather help the local LFS if it is comparable.

Not sure what Upscales has for sand but they have some of the most amazing corals that you will see anywhere. I got my sand from Saltwater Fantaseas over in NE Portland, the prices were not to bad. If you go to the Sponsor area in the forums you can find the LFS with contact info, give them a call and they can help you find sand.

As for the Caulerpa you will need to come by and get it but I have plenty, its from my Lagoon tank so it grows like crazy.

Rich

Welcome to you from another newbie...

have you tried Chaeto instead of calurpa? It does not have the problem of going sexual (or is it asexual???) and dying off killing your tank.

Upscales is great! Nice store, and good corals

Waves is also in SW, really close to upscales (one freeway exit away). I like it also.

Both are really clean and have good stock. Waves is a little smaller, and has fewer tanks than upscales. I got some chaeto from waves two weekends ago, and am really happy with it- Joel took it out of the refugium for his display tank for me rather than sell me a smaller bunch that was in his stock that is for sale. That made me feel like he was giving me special treatment. :)

Cheers :)

Thanks dsoz!

I have not tried the Chaeto, I have just heard of it, but have not done my homework on it yet. I have used Caulerpa in my fuge in the past and it really worked well for me, I used to just keep an extra tank with Macro algae and critters only that would serve as quarantine/aclimation tank. Would anyone elaborate on the reasons for going Cheato vs Caulerpa?

Rich, regarding the sand, Fanta seas does not have anymore southdown, they refered me to Advanced in Salem. I could not get through to Advanced on the phone so I am not sure how much they charge. And not sure I have the time to go down there either. Dr Foster and Smith sells a 30lb bag for $22.99 + $10 for shipping. Maybe the way to go?

• 2 weeks later...

Bluecheese- why are you so blue? Fish tanks always relax me...

Joel at Waves has aragonite sand for $1/lb but it is dry. You can get some live sand starter (about a cup) from almost any LFS if you ask. (SW fanta-seas offered me some at the March meeting). Also SeanF from Ciclids&Salt said he would bring a bunch of sand from one of his old tanks (still wet and "alive") to give out to people at the meeting as well. (no I am not getting paid to advertise for the sponsors, but it would be nice.)

Calurpa has the disadvantage that if it gets nutrient poor, it will think that it is dying. When macro's are in a dying off cycle they will do things to help preserve their genetic material. One way to do this is to "go sexual" and make gametes. The gametes will then be carried by the currents to other places on the reef that may have more nutrients. The big drawbact to this is often the parent puts all of its energy in making gametes, so it dies. This creates two polution sources (the gametes themselves, and the dead parent mass) that will really foul your tank. Some people have had their tanks crash with calurpa. The other downside with Calurpa is if you do want to get rid of it, it is nearly impossible (unless you have a tang to eat it all). The "root" tenderals (not true roots) will stay on the rock and sproout new shoots that will grow like crazy.

Chaeto does not do the whole sexual thing. Therefore, as it grows it will take nutrients out of the water, and you take it out of your sump/refuge. Simple.

Hope this helps with the calurpa/chaeto delema. I'd go with Chaeto myself.

OK thanks dsoz that makes sense. I guess the key to prevent Cal from going sexual is to keep the nitrates on the edge. I'll check with H20Cool if he plans to bring either Chaeto or Calurpa at the meeting. I'll give a shot at Chaeto and see how I like it. I have found Calurpa to be very good at doing what it is supposed to do and it has a strong buffering/mopping effect with regard to nitrates, or maybe my skimmer is just very efficient!

I bought the sand from Ryan at Advanced, it was actually a sweet deal and he gave me a break too. Very nice people.

Austin at Fanta Seas has offered live sand from any of his tanks for Sunday. I'd like samples from as many different systems as possible. If we can just pool all the samples into one bucket , mix them up , everyone can go back home with a good diverse mix of bacteria, pods and surprises (naughty) .

Blue is everywhere, blue sky, blue moon, blue sea, blue berry, and even blue cheese , yes Dsoz life is blue tiful :eek: Don't go barfing now!:p