Reef Noob

jabrbox

Hi all, my wife and I picked up a 125g salt water with everything live in it, sand, rock, cora etc. And thanks to Emerald pointing it out to me, we also have a Euchid Worm that needs to go. We have had salt fish tanks before but new to everything else. This has been a cool place to get to know about the hobby and so far everyone has been friendly. I do have a couple of questions that may sound silly, but I am going to aske them anyways because i dont know....

a) My lighting, 6 total 48" GLO T5 bulbs, 3 blue, 1 really bright white and 2 dull white, they directy attached to the wood canopy lid, should I install relectors? If there is not enough room for 6 reflectors which bulbs would I remove to not impact the tanks habitat and normal routine?

b) should I have lids covering the top of the tank between the top and the lights in the canopy?

c) LONG GREEN ALGAE - how to get rid of it? When I got the tank it was swamped with it now there are just small areas that have it, looks dirty.

d) how and where to get a moonlight effect?

e) what is the hard reddish grime on the side of my tank above the sand, that doesnt want to scrape off ery easily?

I am sure that i have several more questions, but this forum seems very knowlegable, and thanks to those of you that I have already spoken with since being here.

A) I would install reflectors for sure. You should have room, as the clip on reflectors are not much wider than the base that holds the T5.

B) No you do not need lids. Keep it open for gas exchange and heat issues.

C) sounds like hair algae. A good clean up crew of hermit crabs and snails, along with water changes using RO/DI water will help a lot. Also some fish will eat it.

D) google search for LED moon lights

E) would need to see it but kinda sounds like Coraline algae

Clip on reflectors? Can you recomend somewhere that sells them, the LFS around me said all they have are the large silver ones, that would require pulling the lights out and re-installing, and their about 3" wide. Thanks Finch

First of all, welcome to the forum. No question is silly. The more you ask, the more you can provide a safe, habitable, and thriving, place for your watery friends.

A) I agree, yes on reflectors and I would be hesitant to take any T-5s out of your setup until you can ensure you get the wattage to gallon ratio that you need for your inhabitance. How old are your lights? Are they High Output?

B) Lids may be necessary if you have any jumpers (Diamond Gobies and the like). If you don’t have any critters that are known to carpet surf, then I also recommend going without to decrease heat and promote gas exchange.

C) Yes, sounds like Green Hair Algae (GHA). Be aggressive with cleaning it, scrubbing rocks with a toothbrush and a syphon right on top of the brush to prevent spreading it. There are lots of methods out there for GHA removal; you’ll probably want to look into running some Granular Ferric Oxide to reduce any phosphates in your tank and try and starve it out. If you have significant phosphate levels, you may also consider running a phosphate reactor. Typical Phosphate control will aid in your battle; quality RODI water and be sure not to be overfeeding. There are also an array of crabs and snails that like to eat GHA.

a. Yellow Tangs I believe, but I have never had one.

b. Lawnmower/Sailfin/Algae Blennys.

c. A Seahare I have heard will devour the stuff, but also very hard to keep. I would ask around before considering that one.

d. Furthermore, explain to any LFS your issue involving GHA and point at the inverts, and they should set you up with what you need. http://reefcleaners.org/ is also a great resource.

D) Moonlights. Most commonly used are blue LEDs, usually single LEDs scattered across your lighting fixture. The ripple effect is from a single light source, so single bulbs usually yield better rippling then say a blue LED rope light. (although that works too) Most of the time these LEDs are built into your fixture. For a cheap DIY method, you can go to any hardware store, buy a blue LED nightlight, rip off whatever decorative design it comes with thereby exposing the LED, and run an extension cord into your hood, while fastening it to something solid.

E) We would need to see a picture but, yes it does sound like Coralline algae.

Welcome aboard. There are lots of very knowledgeable and friendly people here.

Very good information, thank you for the detailed answers, I really appreciate it. I will get some pics up soon, along with some of the worm, it sounded like he was not a good addition to the tank. I will start looking for some reflectors, i saw that Eugenereef had some not sure if they are the clip on type, I bet it wil make a huge difference in the apearance. I dont know how old the bulbs are the guy i got the setup from said that they were a few months old (?) the ones that I can read say GLO HO T5, the duller white ones I cant read the entire end because of the ballast clip I can only see the GLO. Thank again for welcome and responses.

Those glo bulbs are not the best. If you replace them all with giessmann or ATI you will see a huge difference. I see you are in Tigard. Go into Upscales in Tualatin and have them recommend some bulbs for you. I would go 3 blue and 3 white or something like that. Sounds like your two dull white bulbs are probably old bulbs.

Welcome to the forum and the hobby!

I would definantly add reflectors to your lights. It will increase your light output and in this hobby good strong lighting is one of the keys to a solid tank.

As far as having a lid you will get mixed answers there. I say if you have a hood over you tank and dont have any jumping fish you should pull it off to help shed heat and gas exchange.On my Bio cube I kept the lid on but that was strickly for protection from the kids and toys. I also got a jawfish a few weeks ago and they are jumpers, expensive ones at that. So the lid stays on for me.

I am sure any question you have can be answered by the great members here.

Archived