It might be time.........

Michael7979

I was frustrated with my filefish tank for a while, but then after having a bunch of non fish people over who prefer it to the sps tank it totally changed my perspective. Tried steering them to the nice tank without success. Yes these visitors like valonia, red cyano is pretty on white sand, and they always prefer the softies over the sps in the other tanks. Purple clove polyps and blue palythoa they like better than any rainbow acan or acro. Majano's? Not a problem. Hmm.

Made me think that I should try and appreciate with the mind of a beginner rather than struggle and judge only by what fellow hobbyists might think. Because first off it's in my house not theirs and 2nd it's not realistic to expect a tank I feed 4-5 times a day to be problem free, and in that tank the fish come first. Now I think it's my favorite tank. Moved all the ricordea and sofies in there I could, added more macros, and I have a tank that needs no supplements, few watts, just food, skimmer dumps, and of course a weekly water change and cleaning.

Not saying you should have a tank like mine, but maybe don't let a little algae or other weedy invaders take away your enjoyment of the rest of the tank.

I have to admit it is extremely challenging to see the cyano as pretty. (:

Kate

Should have a sales thread up soon.

I have someone coming to look at the fish soon to see if they can take all/any. After the fish are gone I will move ahead.

Bummer, Hate to see you do it but I understand sometimes a guy just needs a break.

I was frustrated with my filefish tank for a while, but then after having a bunch of non fish people over who prefer it to the sps tank it totally changed my perspective. Tried steering them to the nice tank without success. Yes these visitors like valonia, red cyano is pretty on white sand, and they always prefer the softies over the sps in the other tanks. Purple clove polyps and blue palythoa they like better than any rainbow acan or acro. Majano's? Not a problem. Hmm.

Made me think that I should try and appreciate with the mind of a beginner rather than struggle and judge only by what fellow hobbyists might think. Because first off it's in my house not theirs and 2nd it's not realistic to expect a tank I feed 4-5 times a day to be problem free, and in that tank the fish come first. Now I think it's my favorite tank. Moved all the ricordea and sofies in there I could, added more macros, and I have a tank that needs no supplements, few watts, just food, skimmer dumps, and of course a weekly water change and cleaning.

Not saying you should have a tank like mine, but maybe don't let a little algae or other weedy invaders take away your enjoyment of the rest of the tank.

I have to admit it is extremely challenging to see the cyano as pretty. (:

Kate

I love this post. Sometimes we really should appreciate with the mind of a beginner.

Wow Mike. Go with your feelings. I went with zoos only so that made the transition a litte easier. On the flip side, you have my cell number and this is definitely the season to play disk golf. You get the drift!!! Remember, I am now retired so time schedule is not an issue.

Wow Mike. Go with your feelings. I went with zoos only so that made the transition a litte easier. On the flip side' date=' you have my cell number and this is definitely the season to play disk golf. You get the drift!!! Remember, I am now retired so time schedule is not an issue.[/quote']

Yeah I should get out for "golf" more. I'll call ya!

(who knows there might be a down grade (plotting) - thinking about some FW (ie DISCUS) to keep a tank around)

Just can't do anything until the fish have homes. That will be the hardest job and so it will be the first one undertaken.

Just so everyone knows I'm taking care of the fish first.

Then after that is taken care of I will start selling off the other equipment/corals that I no longer wish to keep.

So please be patient... the fish are big and will need LARGER tanks to house them. (150g minimum) And those are not very popular these days it seems.

OMG, no wonder i havn't heard from you in awhile! (sad)

Not sure of the details involved with your decision, but can only offer my own story as a rebuttal:

Over the memorial weekend I got really snarled up with SEA-MAX organizational issues, dealing with clients, preping equipment, etc. etc.....

I Currently have my 300-gallon reef setup in garage, full of livestock and running at 100% capacity, awaiting a near-future move into the house after some retrofitting.

Scene:

Doing routine maintenance one night, feeding, changing filter sock, checking parameters, and topping off with RO/DI.....(phone call comes in/distraction)

Flash forward to next morning (7 am):

waving good bye to wife as she heads off to work...

"honey, why is there water coming out from under the garage door?"

OH MY FREAKIN'.....(scary)

Flash Backs ensue:

- Last memory: toping off water (manually from 300 gallong RO/DI reservior)

IMG_0020.jpg

- New memory: Staring at snot-like water; basically now a 300 gallon Freshwater tank (Total destruction /estimated loss: $5k in livestock/incl. some coral colonies over 10 years old)

- Reaction: absolutely numb

- Decisive Action: place emergency call to local shop/aquarium service.

1) I have no water to make up saltwater (all drained)

2) I can't bear to see (much less remove) creatures I've taken care of for years.

- Aftermath:

Now a 300-gallon liverock display tank (with a couple hardy tangs who somehow managed to survive) that is it.

- Lesson: None (absolute carelessness and incompetency)

- Corrective Action: remove direct plumbing from reservoir to display

- Moving Forward: This is probably the most important point of my entire story:

The successes in life are not what defines you, but how you react in the most challenging of circumstances and overwhelming duress.

Given one man's humble observations: This hobby means more to you than you think.

you will be back. So...walk away for awhile, if you must, but return to what you love.

Do yourself a favor: Sell the cat / keep the protein skimmer :)

KA

OMG, no wonder i havn't heard from you in awhile! (sad)

Not sure of the details involved with your decision, but can only offer my own story as a rebuttal:

Over the memorial weekend I got really snarled up with SEA-MAX organizational issues, dealing with clients, preping equipment, etc. etc.....

I Currently have my 300-gallon reef setup in garage, full of livestock and running at 100% capacity, awaiting a near-future move into the house after some retrofitting.

Scene:

Doing routine maintenance one night, feeding, changing filter sock, checking parameters, and topping off with RO/DI.....(phone call comes in/distraction)

Flash forward to next morning (7 am):

waving good bye to wife as she heads off to work...

"honey, why is there water coming out from under the garage door?"

OH MY FREAKIN'.....(scary)

Flash Backs ensue:

- Last memory: toping off water (manually from 300 gallong RO/DI reservior)

IMG_0020.jpg

- New memory: Staring at snot-like water; basically now a 300 gallon Freshwater tank (Total destruction /estimated loss: $5k in livestock/incl. some coral colonies over 10 years old)

- Reaction: absolutely numb

- Decisive Action: place emergency call to local shop/aquarium service.

1) I have no water to make up saltwater (all drained)

2) I can't bear to see (much less remove) creatures I've taken care of for years.

- Aftermath:

Now a 300-gallon liverock display tank (with a couple hardy tangs who somehow managed to survive) that is it.

- Lesson: None (absolute carelessness and incompetency)

- Corrective Action: remove direct plumbing from reservoir to display

- Moving Forward: This is probably the most important point of my entire story:

The successes in life are not what defines you, but how you react in the most challenging of circumstances and overwhelming duress.

Given one man's humble observations: This hobby means more to you than you think.

you will be back. So...walk away for awhile, if you must, but return to what you love.

Do yourself a favor: Sell the cat / keep the protein skimmer :)

KA

Great story and advice

Archived