It might be time.........

Michael7979

Thinking it is time that I left this hobby! (scratch)

Not sure if a break is enough or if it should be for good. (plotting)

I'm going to take my planned vacation and make up my mind. So there is a real good possiblilty that I will have a sales thread going up around the middle of the month.

if I may ask... why? whats up

My goal is/was to have a tank that I would rate a 7-8 on a scale of 1 to 10. (I know I'll never be perfect and I also know my limits)

But things being as they are the tank sets at a 3-4 and I do not see it getting better anytime soon.

Life is always changing........ and I believe it is telling/forcing me and my family to change along with it.

Dang Michael cant believe I missed this thread! sure hope you change your mind but if not I can understand things change. You certainly have been a real asset to this club and forum especially the time you have put in as PR officer. If I remember correct you were one of the first members I met back in '08 when I joined!

Steve

huh???? you're leaving because of the rating? Rating according to whom? Heck.. every tank is a 10. Except for mine.. it needs a cleaning. :( But seriously... stay with the hobby because you enjoy it and not because you feel your tank is not equal to others. If you are happy with what you see, then that's a 10. But if it is time commitment, I understand. Can help automate your tank if you need to. the only downside is you get lazy like me. :(

Wow, I go away to Vegas and come back to this?DOH! Don't get discouraged Michael. Sometimes a little input from the club can help. I know people were very helpful in the advice for our sps tank.

This hobby can be expensive but very rewarding.

Do what you need to do but your contributions to this club have been greatly appreciated.

I don't post much, but I do hope your break rewards you, maybe you will come back with a sense of refreshment. Theres no reason you cant start up a tank later on down the road. I do also agree with maybe trying a smaller tank for awhile. I have always been a large tank guy but for 3 1/2 years all I had was a 40 breeder, it was cheap and easy to take care of. maybe just try leather corals and mushrooms for awhile. not so labor intensive. good luck Whatever you decide.

huh???? you're leaving because of the rating? Rating according to whom? Heck.. every tank is a 10. Except for mine.. it needs a cleaning. :( But seriously... stay with the hobby because you enjoy it and not because you feel your tank is not equal to others. If you are happy with what you see' date=' then that's a 10. But if it is time commitment, I understand. Can help automate your tank if you need to. the only downside is you get lazy like me. :([/quote']

It's my rating. And that's why I am not happy with it now. I do enjoy the hobby but if I can not do it justice, then I should step away.

I'll make up my mind while on vacation.......

oh man Mike, i sure hope you don't quit! After having my SPS tank crash i was on the verge, I stepped away from the tank for a couple weeks. Decided to take it to LPS instead and couldn't be happier. Maybe just need a change of scenery so to speak.

I can't believe I missed this thread until now. That would be a huge loss to this club if you left. I really appreciated your hospitality at the May meeting. It was so nice to have you take me around and point out faces behind the screen names. I really hope your vacation changes your mind. I can see how this hobby can get a bit overwhelming. Although since I'm so new, the only thing that is bumming me out currently, is that I am running out of room to put coral.(laugh) Have a good trip:)

I've burned myself out on gaming by trying to do too much or putting too much time and energy into every little miniscule improvement that I could make. Maybe specializing or focusing on a niche would give you the satisfaction you are looking for. Consider focusing on inhabitants of a specific area or tuning down the SPS to just focus on a few specific species. Goals are awesome and worthwhile, but if they are too big then it can just burn you out.

I hope you sort things out it would be a great loss to the club and the hobby I myself have contemplated getting out of the business and just being a hobbyist so I kinda know ware your coming with things getting more stressful with low sales but hang in there bro.

sorry to hear this, i am sure that the decision you make will be what is best for you. It takes much more character to admit flaw than it does to ignore. It all comes down to what you enjoy and take out of the hobby, and that is a question worth asking.

• 3 weeks later...

I have spoken to quite a few that have left the hobby behind and everyone of them finds that they enjoy looking at tanks much more without having one than previous. The one who stand out the most, or is the happiest, ditched SW for FW and hasn't looked back. He says he loves looking at SW tanks but is constantly reminded of the time, money, and frustration it caused him. He also said that having a SW tank mostly taught him that all of this stuff belongs in the ocean and not in someone's tank waiting for a mistake so it can die.

I know I've already had a few corals and two sixline wrasses die, and it really bums me out. For one, I feel responsible for their demises(even though one of the sixlines jumped out), and for two, I don't have a ton of disposable income to be spending if these $20-40 items only last a month or two. It's really fun to see the stuff that makes it start growing though. It's just a lot of work and I always feel like my tank's armageddon is just around the corner.

Archived