Feeding the fish ?

kknight

I have 2 damsels, 2 clowns , sheeper head goby, fireshrimp and emerald crab in a 55 gallon tank . I am feeding every other day. I want to get some blue/green chromis and I read to feed them several times throughout the day. I don't want to over feed the other fish so how do I do this ? Do the chromis eat more of the food ?

I am by no means an expert, but I do have two blue/green chromis. For the last year, I have fed once a day, and they are both fat & happy. The one thing I have noticed is that the larger chromis tends to bully the smaller one, forcing it to hide in a cave most of the time. I'm concidering removing the small one.

Depends a lot on what your feeding. Pellet, flake, frozen brine or mysis? I have three blue green chromis, 1 clown, 1 algae blenny, in a 75 gal. They like the frozen brine. I feed them 1 cube every other day. But I have copepods breeding in the tank that the chromis seem to like to snack on.

Thank you for the help: I am feeding Brine, Mysis and sometimes silverslides. So seems like I just keep doing what I'm doing. I did get 3 chromis and my blue damsel is pushing them into the corner. I knew at some point I would have to get rid of him, guess now is the time. I'm hoping the LFS will take him.

We should get medals for catching damsels... Its no easy feat. I should have known when I bought them, the LFS told me that they would buy them back "IF" I caught them. ...I didn't know what they were chuckling about but I later learned the true nature of these little critters.

I had 5, caught the blue devil right off the bat with just the net. The other damsels im sure were laughing at me... 4 hours later, I had called a different LFS for advice. They helped me create and deploy the mighty "damsel trap." Caught one more. 3 hours after that, I had called in my buddy for an extra set of hands, wound up stripping down the whole tank. all the LR was in a tub. Using eggcrate, three nets and a few Jedi mind tricks, it still took My wife, my buddy and me, an hour to catch the remaining dominoes in an empty tank.

We wish you the best of luck.

I have 5 hours into trying to get him. Half of the LR is in the sump . Tried 1/2 cube of food then the other 1/2 . Tried silverslide. I want that medal because I am going to win:) I think the LFS will take him back with no credit but I can't just flush the poor naughty guy that I was so proud to have kept alive. I need to quit for tonight I am stressing all the other fish out.

I feed my fish 3 to 4 times a day, just smaller amounts. I make my own food which is a combination of many different things all blended together.

If you can feed often in small amounts I think it is better especially for the corals.

To catch the damsel try making a fish trap, or for the next week or so put the fish food in the net and feed that way. When the damsel gets attracted to the net things become much easier.

Archived