What kind of camera and best priced place to buy it?

reefgeek84

Well they aren't reef related because I am in LA now but couldn't resist playing with my new toy from my 7th floor hotel room overlooking the city. I didn't clean the glass on my tanks before I left for LA so I do have any in tank shot but should have some good shots from the wholesalers when I get back.

Keep in mind we are about 20 or more miles outside of dowtown LA where these buildings in the photo were taken. I had to shrink them down a lot so that people weren't downloading the pics forever.

LA_skyline_fromhotel.jpg

And the same shot basically at night

LA_at_night1.jpg

Here is a sunset shot if you look in the lower right corner you see the same buildings without being zoomed in.

LA_sunset.jpg

One more of a different part of the city at night.

LA_at_night2.jpg

And finally a shot of one of the fountains at our hotel visable from the room.

room_view1.jpg

I like it. I am by no means a photographer but was able to pick up this camera and with a little reading take some nice shots.

Ohh I forgot to mention that these were shot with my new Nikon D80 with a 70-300mm APO Sigma Lens.

Coming from an inexperienced person. I have a canon powershot 540 and can take some pretty sweet pics of my tank with it but only in certain situations. It has an underwater filter that works fantastic. Heck my picture did pretty well for POTM with a powershot. I have played with the D80 and it is by far SWEET and I know hardly anything but a simple 30 minute instruction from the owner and I was takin some [language filter] good shots that my powershot couldn't get. All in all I would love the D80 but the Powershots are hard to beat for the price. I know I could get that shot with a D80 and some time. With my powershot I don't think so unless the acro was right infront of the glass. Probably a more experienced person could do it but I'd rather not struggle and become an expert at the powershot.

My vote: DSLR - NIKON / POS - Canon Powershot

LOL Well, I will say as I posted to reefgeek already, I have the S3 IS Canon and Its nice but somewhere in between the macro and full zoom I cant get a solid focus, its a new cam and I hope to overcome it, my last pic in my link below shows a pic in the back of my tank with the camera, but of course we are talking about a $400 camera compared to a 700-900 camera plus a lens that rsnge from 500 for a pile to 1500 for something very nice (canon pricing) and I just wasn't willing to pay that. The camera does everything I need it to do for my family and does a good job so far on the tank, hopefully soon I can get some nice pics of the tank with it.

More you spend the better versatility/pics you will get, period.

Here is my first attempt to a close up in the back of the tank, this was shot from about 60" away and I had just dosed kalk unfortunately.

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n184/nyleswright/Reef%20Tank/bluetort.jpg

It really comes down to what you want to do with the camera. Point and Shoot cameras are nice and you can get some nice shots with them but they are definately not as versatile as a Digital SLR camera. So just balance how much you want to spend versus what you want to do with it. I have heard that the Nikon D40 DSLR is also a very nice camera at a fraction of the price of the D80. Most of the reason why I bought a D80 is mostly for non tank related pictures. That and I figure I won't need to buy another camera for a long time. Not to say that they won't come out with a newer camera with more features but this one will do everything I want and more.

Why the camera doesn't matter

Great pictures can be taken with any camera. Look at the pictures taken 100 years ago, with primitive technology. The art of photography is matching, the camera, the subject and the final display medium. The real advantage of a SLR over a fixed lens point and shoot is that by changing lenses is can be matched to a wider variety of situations. In my opinion, the differences in the pictures earlier in this thread had much more to do with the subjects chosen and the photographer rather than which camera was used.

Here are a couple of links to a sight where a number of these issues are discussed. I used this sight quite a bit, when I recently bought our DSLR. I like there non techno-centric approach.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/notcamera.htm

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/mpmyth.htm