Want to help a newbie???

Emperor1

Good question' date=' so i pulled up the carpet and to my surprise it is cement board on top of 3 2x12's 16" spacing that will run perpendicular to the tank. My current configuration is a 150g tank + 50g sump, puts me at around 1669lbs + all other misc material/equipment, i could be at 2000lbs. Will this still work?[/quote']

that comes out to about 180# psf. maybe some one who is more savy with structural loads can help. does not sound like a lot, since we walk on floors all the time, some weigh of us more than that. but we are talking dead load, which means it is constant, downward pressure 24/7. i looked at a tank earlier where they had to downsize,it was on the 2nd floor, was a 180 (2x2x6), a little heavier than yours, but theirs did not work. i am not savy with structural loads, sorry. here is a load chart it is showing a dead load of 12 psf, you are talking 180. hth

http://www.mcvicker.com/resguide/page013b.htm

• 1 month later...

So after a month of looking around, i have the concept in my mind, but now realize that's it's going to take about 5k, which is ok by me.

So I'd like to go hoodless, hanging an LED from the ceiling and keeping everything invisible. At my 48" lenght and 30"width, i have no room to run things behind the tank (it's going into a cubby hole), so everything will be inside and run through the bottom. I really like the coast to coast and the BeanAnimal setup, but am concerned that the plumbing will be visible at the top of the tank. Is it possible to keep this setup hidden from view?

So after a month of looking around, i have the concept in my mind, but now realize that's it's going to take about 5k, which is ok by me.

So I'd like to go hoodless, hanging an LED from the ceiling and keeping everything invisible. At my 48" lenght and 30"width, i have no room to run things behind the tank (it's going into a cubby hole), so everything will be inside and run through the bottom. I really like the coast to coast and the BeanAnimal setup, but am concerned that the plumbing will be visible at the top of the tank. Is it possible to keep this setup hidden from view?

It is possible to hide the plumbing. Bean Animal uses a sanitary T. You can just as easily substitute a 90 elbow to bring the height down. You could either paint the plumbing black or form a wood cover over all the elbows.

It is possible to hide the plumbing. Bean Animal uses a sanitary T. You can just as easily substitute a 90 elbow to bring the height down. You could either paint the plumbing black or form a wood cover over all the elbows.

Cool. I wasn't sure there was a purpose for the sanitary T, but if the 90 will work.....

Archived