Vodka dosing

cellowithgills

I'm really struggling with this now. It says don't dose unless you know your Nitrate and Phosphate levels. I've got the test kits, and they say my levels are at zero (phosphate test kit is 3 months old, nitrate is about 8 months old). I've got an Algae problem, but it's not normal hair algae, it's like miniature ferns growing in patches all over the tank. I've got hair algae too but my sea hair takes care of it.

Bryopsis is your dark green, fern like algae. Can be a tough fix. Attacking nitrate-phsphate angle may not help. There have stories of benefits of super dosing Magnesium...go from normal levels upwards of 1800...also, supposedly it is the sulfate portion of the magnesium sulfate which is actually killing the bryopsis. Kent makes magnesium with sulfate but it would take a truck load to increase your level to 1800...

Double check me on my bryopsis diagnosis...

DrMerle

You are not old enough to Vodka dose ;)

Tell your parents it's for the good of the fish, and they'll buy just about anything for you. (laugh)(whistle)

Bryopsis is your dark green, fern like algae. Can be a tough fix. Attacking nitrate-phsphate angle may not help. There have stories of benefits of super dosing Magnesium...go from normal levels upwards of 1800...also, supposedly it is the sulfate portion of the magnesium sulfate which is actually killing the bryopsis. Kent makes magnesium with sulfate but it would take a truck load to increase your level to 1800...

Double check me on my bryopsis diagnosis...

DrMerle

It's definitely bryopsis. And I definitely have a problem with my mag being way low right now.

Your nitrate and phosphate could be low because the algae is sucking it up as fast as it enters the water column.

Mimic tangs have eaten bryopsis for me and for friend. They are the juvenile form of the chocolate tang. When young they look like whichever centroypge they are hanging out near, lemonpeel, eibli or halfblack. There is another tang in the hobby that does this mimic thing of the same angels though-the orange shoulder tang. No idea if orange shoulder tangs eat bryopsis, so if you go this route make sure you get the right mimic. The down side to chocolate tangs is they get large and aggressive so are not something you want long term in a 55. Been there done that, rehomed him to a 180.

They are way nicer looking in real life than in pictures.

I had some come back after I got rid of the chocolate tang but it never got to be a problem as of almost 2 years now, and I don't have any herbivore fish in that tank. So it is possible that bryopsis might be a temporary problem that can be resolved some other way. Might be worth adjusting the magnesium and seeing what that does. I would verify that all your test kits are good though, my magnesium test kit lies like a rug.

i had less problems with algae in all my tanks after I started rinsing all my frozen fish food in a brine shrimp net before feeding to get rid of the cloudy water it's frozen in, you might try that if you don't already. Also added a couple macros that grow like mad, so they are probably sucking up all the nitrate and phosphate and since I have no herbivores they flourish. The main macro I added was dragon fire, it's a bright cherry candy red. Looks great, it even flouresces orange. Other people have good luck with a brushy purple macro and it's often available in the club, but that one I usually kill. If you can find macro feast it also can be converted to tropical temps if you go slowly. I first acclimated it to room temps for a week, then moved some of it over. It lived so more will go.

I don't think chaeto and caulerpa are cutting the mustard really compared to these other macros.

Kate

I had a pretty seious and growing bryopsis problem that is now completely gone. The main changes I made were:

Buckled down on doing weekly 10-15% WC and testing alk 3 times a week.

Added 2 arabain cowries

Added an emerald crab (actually watched him picking at the rock with the worst bryopsis, but never saw him directly attacking the biggest patches)

I got the cowries at Upscales, but be very careful as they can be tricky to ID correctly and other species will eat corals (probably worst when starved of vegitation though)

Your nitrate and phosphate could be low because the algae is sucking it up as fast as it enters the water column.

I had some come back after I got rid of the chocolate tang but it never got to be a problem as of almost 2 years now, and I don't have any herbivore fish in that tank. So it is possible that bryopsis might be a temporary problem that can be resolved some other way. Might be worth adjusting the magnesium and seeing what that does. I would verify that all your test kits are good though, my magnesium test kit lies like a rug.

i had less problems with algae in all my tanks after I started rinsing all my frozen fish food in a brine shrimp net before feeding to get rid of the cloudy water it's frozen in, you might try that if you don't already. Also added a couple macros that grow like mad, so they are probably sucking up all the nitrate and phosphate and since I have no herbivores they flourish. The main macro I added was dragon fire, it's a bright cherry candy red. Looks great, it even flouresces orange. Other people have good luck with a brushy purple macro and it's often available in the club, but that one I usually kill.

I don't think chaeto and caulerpa are cutting the mustard really compared to these other macros.

Kate

I've got Chaeto, Caulerpa, and Halimeda. Are you coming down to the may meeting? I'll buy some of that dragon fire off you.

Archived