Protien skimmers

tanktop74

I am on the search for a new cone skimmer for our 150 gal reef.

I want the best bang for the buck and don't want to spend more than $350.

I have been looking at the reef octopus extreme on bulk reef supply.

Who has cone skimmers and which ones seem to be the best?

Thanks!

Beth

I have the Octo extream 1000sss cone on my 60gal. It has the bubble blaster pump. To tell you the truth, I'm not that impressed. Maybe I'm not doing it right...but I doubt it. All the research I did says this skimmer is DA BOMB. But, I've used better. JMO

Dennis

Eshopps snocone skimmers are great. I use a hob eshopps skimmer on my 55 gallon and it's fantastic. They have been tested next to deltec skimmers and in most tests they out perform them. You can see the test if you search eshopps on wetwebmedia.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Bubble blaster by far in my opinion. I have had several sicce powered skimmers and the pumps always gave me troubles.

I have about 200g total but I went with the larger skimmer since I plan to have a heavy bioload, and the xp 3000 is rated for 250g heavy load and 350 moderate. When I was talking to Mike at RS about the SRO skimmers I ran into the same thing as you, and basically went with the 3000 based on how many fish I plan to keep. Give him a call and see what he suggests. I know that he used the SRO xp 5000 on his personal tank.

If you are looking at the super reef octo cones talk to Mike at reef specialty. He can point you in the right direction and his prices are better than anyone. Especially if you deal with him direct.

No need to read any further, just wanted to be certain someone plugged SWC.

I have tried a few mentioned and IMO- SWC BLOWS all of them away-its what I presently use on my 150 SWC 200 (old one) and soon the SWC 1A Extreme on the new tank-

Cones are going to be subjective since the pump really makes the skimmer (IMO) but the concept behind the cone makes sense

Avast makes a nice DIY skimmer kit also-but SWC is where I stay ( or maybe the SRO line)

Oh and Grassi will chime in with the nice 2,000.00 Euro skimmers

and Bubble blaster for sure-Its the one running the SRO Extreme (cone version I believe) 3000 I shot you a link on awhile back-that skimmer rocks too

SWC with the askoll pump. These are the best pumps i've seen/used. I've seen many different Octo's, with and without the BB's and they work, but ever since I got this SWC with Askoll it's like a whole new class of skimmer, and they've been around for a long time. I'm sure there are others that perform on par with these but my pockets aren't deep enough to find out.

Thanks everyone... I think I have narrowed it down to these two skimmers....

http://premiumaquatics.com/aquatic-supplies/CV-SRO-2000INT.html

http://premiumaquatics.com/aquatic-supplies/CV-XP-2000.html

The only difference is one is a cone and the other is not... Oh and $50!! So tell me, is a cone really much better? Gotta justify it to the wife!!!

I think we need a skim off' date=' were every one compairs a days worth of skimate.[/quote']

Too many variables; stocking levels, skimmer location, skimmer maintenance, how often someone does water changes, how dry or wet they skim and calcium levels all effect skim mate production greatly.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Wow Brad thanks for the link.(clap) You made Beth gasp! (I'm not kidding...);) That's a really good price on the first one.

They are gonna be both too small for your growing sps population in 6 months, from what I remember about your tank.

If you have to go cheap I'll throw 2 more options:

Skimz Kone series

The new Powercone series from ATI

You are looking for something that is able to pull at least 1000lph or air. Otherwise close your eyes and pick one, they will all perform good for a few months then you will have to upgrade. You will notice how often you will have to clean the glass and nuisance algae growing more often.

You can get something that works now, or wait and buy something better with a bigger budget and then be good for a few years.

Archived