Scratch Removal Kits or Home Depot?

NoobtoSalt

Sorry, didn't see this thread. been really busy with work and tank projects.

If it is a running tank and you are doing the inside, I would start with 400-1000 (depending upon how deep the scratch is) and work up to about 6000 before it will look completely clear, the water will fill in the small haze after about 6000 but it will still look pretty hazy when it is dry. The Novus products are useless on a running tank except for the outsides. The kits you can purchase are fine, but you can purchase individual sheets of micromesh over at the Rockler woodworking store in Beaverton, so If you only need a few sheets this is the way to go, no shipping. The only thing I would recommend when doing the inside is to use some sort of a foam backer on the paper so you don't put too much pressure with just your fingers making it look kinda streaky.

Great to know local sources of micromesh, since I wore mine out. Seriously hoping i never buy acrylic again but I need a proper frag tank at some point... maybe I will build a glass one but probably not.

I seem to have a knack for getting asterina starfish under the magfloat and giving that combo a few swirls before noticing. I could elaborate on my feelings about that but not in polite company.

Good luck with yours,

Kate

I seem to have a knack for getting asterina starfish under the magfloat and giving that combo a few swirls before noticing. I could elaborate on my feelings about that but not in polite company

Those little suckers can sure scratch acrylic! Having spent so much time and energy building my tank I dont let a magnet cleaner get near it. I clean it by hand using acrylic scraps sharpened on a router. I have to go along and knock off all of the asternias first though, lol.

I did half of my scratches last week. About a month ago i picked up a grain of sand that did a nice number all over the front. I used a 8000 by hand and then finished with a 12000. Mine are still faintly there as I only spent about a hour working them but it was good enough for me. I tried the magnet but didn't like it as well.

Archived