Scratch Removal Kits or Home Depot?

NoobtoSalt

So I've got some scratches on my tank that are bugging me and I am wondering if anyone would recommend a specific kit or just go to home depot and grab some sand paper? I have researched them a bit and it sounds like it will be fine with me doing this with my reef in the tank but wasn't sure if the sand paper at home depot was any different than the expensive little kit they sell for tanks?

Is this tank currently in use? What size is it? Have not seen the stuff at Home Depot. They sell it at Tap Plastics but it is not as fine as the stuff that comes in restoration kits so will leave marks you have to buff out with novus. And considerable elbow grease.

Over the years I have tried to remove scratches from numerous tanks and none of the kits I tried was anywhere near as easy or quick as some people state them to be. Since most kits cost about 35-45 bucks all in, maybe more, and I have been quoted 75 by locals who can do this professionally, it's well worth hiring the job out if the tank is dry. If it's in use it's another ball of wax.

If it is not an expensive tank like my 50 gallon undrilled truvu it's worth just buying a new one and using the old one for a sump or quarantine.

Kate

Can you drain it far enough to use the Novus stuff? I had some scratches on my tank' date=' granted they were on the outside, and it took care of them in 1 coat didn't take me more than 5 min and I had a lot of small scratches.[/quote']

The tank has a lot of small scratches all over. I could drop the water level for some of them but to get the majority of it I would have to drain the tank.

I think the kits go up to 12000 grit, you are not gonna find that at home depot. You need to get a really strong magnet, and start at like 2000 grit and then work your way up to 12000. I think in those kits they have 1200,2000,4000,6000,8000,12000 grit im not for absolutly sure but something like that. I think there are some more success storys on other sites that use up to 2500 grit paper but im not sure.

alright so I found some sandpaper I had here at the house and it seems to do the job to get the scratches out but now I need a much finer paper to get it buffed properly. I checked with home depot and shucks and neither carry anything higher than a 1200 grit. Any suggestions on places in town that have sheets that are 1600-6000 grit?

Jesse i have all the sand paper you need iam in Vancouver Wa. as well so Pm me or here ill PM you right now

Just replied to your pm. I just got off the phone with bob's paintland and they have up to 3000 grit so I'm going to try them out. They only charge .89 per sheet so it's a pretty cheap investment.

Thanks again for the offer.

Keep us posted. I have a few scratches I would like to work on also. If I ever have the tank empty I'll probably run it over to Seahorse and have them do it.

BTW, are you checking what the sandpaper is made from? Some of them have metal which is going to get in the tank.

Keep us posted. I have a few scratches I would like to work on also. If I ever have the tank empty I'll probably run it over to Seahorse and have them do it.

BTW, are you checking what the sandpaper is made from? Some of them have metal which is going to get in the tank.

Doesn't look like the stuff I got has any metals in it. I have it down to the 2000 in a spot in the tank and it still has a haze so I will be rubbing it for awhile. If it doesn't work out I will go back down there and grab the 4000 grit but it was $5 for a smaller sheet.

Archived