Reef Chemistry: Crazy Numbers

cellowithgills

I had a similar issue with Kent but it was their old salt. it killed most of my SPS in the tank. Get a different test kit to validate it and make sure you are mixing your salt mix for a few days as well. I have not had any issues since they made their new formula but you can always get a bad batch of salt. If it is Kent is great at customer service and taking care of it for you as well.

Are you sure you tested correctly, I use elos as well and don't get that high of result with the same Kent salt.

I suggest retesting and making sure all the math is correct first! If you still get a reading that high take it to your nearest LFS to have it tested.

The Mag test was 52 the first half and 13 for the second half. 52-13= 39 and 39x50 is 1950. I will definitely be bringing my water in to a store, 2 days ago it was 2000, I don't think I messed it up twice. It's a new-ish test to me so I always look at the directions when I do it.

By any chance are you using 5ml of water instead of 3ml of water. I say this because I have caught myself using 5ml' date=' as almost all the other ELOS tests use this amount.[/quote']

DOH!DOH!DOH!DOH!DOH!DOH!DOH!DOH!DOH!DOH!DOH!DOH!DOH!DOH!DOH!DOH!

That's exactly what I did! I'm so dumb. I'll test again to see what the really numbers are. Thanks

DOH!DOH!DOH!DOH!DOH!DOH!DOH!DOH!DOH!DOH!DOH!DOH!DOH!DOH!DOH!DOH!

That's exactly what I did! I'm so dumb. I'll test again to see what the really numbers are. Thanks

Im glad that this solved your problem. I dont know why I thought of it. I have read this thread before and never thought twice about it but when you said elos test kit it popped into my brain. Have a good one and happy reefing

I several friends who run their mag that high(1950-2000) regularly, and they have some of the prettiest and cleanest SPS reefs I've seen yet here stateside. But, they didn't raise theirs that high overnight, it took my one buddy almost a year before he ran his that high. One of the side effects is, and this is a good one IMO, they have 0 issues with any nuisance algae such as bryopsis and what-not, and they feed heavier than anyone I've ever met. They both feed on average the equivalent of 2 packs of Rod's food twice daily.

Just a thought.

I suggest raising your mag slowly. add asmall amount daily until you reach your desired level. Then, before you do a water change, test the new water and raise that level to match what you are removing from your tank.

Archived