Photography Stuff

Piero

Just a thread to talk photography...if there already is one that i missed just ignore this one :).

1) I've got a Nikon D50, but sure would like a D80

2) I like nature photography and underwater, but haven't done that in years.

3) I'm obsessed with macro, and even micro work. I'd love to have a D80 hooked up to a stereo-zoom scope on an articulating boom arm with 1x-200x magnification, please.:)

4) I'm thinking about getting the Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro and some kenko tubes and seeing how much magnification i can get without blowing my DOF completely.

5) I want to do a "Nudie-Calendar" (get it, nudie) of sea slug macro work and donate profits to a reef conservation group. I already shot Ms. January and Feb. Picked them both up hangin' out at upscales a couple years ago. heard it here first. :D

6) I have an old Nikon FE that my mother kept in my baby carriage constantly. In fact I think maybe it bonked me in the head a few too many times, it would explain a lot.

Hi Piero john here my wife just got a nikon D80 I'v been try'ing to learn how to use it to take pictures of my tank building efforts. I have trouble with manuels (lack of time) to many other projects.

if you are interested in playing with one I would be happy to meet at a LFS in the area and watch how someone who knows how takes tank pictures. The only lenses we have at the time are a 28-80 1:3.3 to 5.6 and a 75-300mm. I'm not sure eather of these will work. I live in clackamas but enjoy trips to both upscales and waves Just a thought.

That 28-80mm will work fine for most tank shots, I use my 24-85mm F/3.5-4.5 when I'm shooting my tank and I like it.

Me? I've been shooting for as long as I can remember, and have been a loyal Nikon guy for longer than that :) I like shooting aquaria and portraits, with some nature thrown in for variety. I'm using a Nikon D70 and am still happy with it, though the next generation may be enough to make me buy a new body. Right now, I'm experimenting with flash photography in the aquarium... a rocky road (and not the good one like the ice cream)

thanks john, I may take you up on that at some point.

re: using flash, I always noticed that flash work looks wrong for reef shots because we lose the color of our lighting. I'm really worried about having enough light to shoot closer than 1:1, so I've got two 250w DE HQI pendants just for lighting the subject. Hopefully i get the shot before i cook the critters though.

re: using flash' date=' I always noticed that flash work looks wrong for reef shots because we lose the color of our lighting. [/quote']

Well, that's part of the rub isn't it? ;) I have had some success with reduced ambient lighting and oblique flash placement. This pic was shot with flash, and while it is far from perfect I consider it a successful experiment (whistle)

Ok if anyone out there knows about lenses I think I am going to bite the bullet and get myself a Nikon D80. I know I am going to be getting a couple of different lenses with it but I was wondering about the brands. The cheapest lens available for it is the Sigma which I hadn't heard of before the next step they have is a tamaron lens which I have used on a film camera with good results or there is the nikon lenses which are the most expensive. I mean it is only around $100 in difference but if I can save $100 and still get great photos I will say it is worth it but if they just aren't the same quality I will spend the extra and get the best.

Ok if anyone out there knows about lenses I think I am going to bite the bullet and get myself a Nikon D80. I know I am going to be getting a couple of different lenses with it but I was wondering about the brands. The cheapest lens available for it is the Sigma which I hadn't heard of before the next step they have is a tamaron lens which I have used on a film camera with good results or there is the nikon lenses which are the most expensive. I mean it is only around $100 in difference but if I can save $100 and still get great photos I will say it is worth it but if they just aren't the same quality I will spend the extra and get the best.

I LOVE my Tamron macro lens on my D100. It was recommended to me by some very skilled photographers who actually prefer it over the nikkor anyway.....

Why i couldnt begin to tell you....lol

Its a sweet lens :)

The Tamron 90mm macro is a hell of a lens, but it still doesn't measure up to the Nikkor -- though it is half the price. I'd buy the Tamron for Macro work, but for just about every other focal length I'd stick with true blue Nikon lenses (The 14mm Sigma is the only affordable option that doesn't have real problems). Why buy a great body only to cripple it with a cheap lens?

Thom Hogan covers both the Micro-Nikkor and the Tamron here.

Well I did it broke down and ordered the camera. It will be here on Tuesday so then I get to start playing around with it. Found a great deal on it on E-bay and decided to upgrade to a high speed memory card hopefully that wasn't a waste of money but I want to be able to do things with it besides just shooting coral pics although that is how I justified spending the money on the thing in the first place.