Ride Share for tidepool collecting during minus tides in the future.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That first round tidepool is sick!!! It musta had some goodies in it!! What else did you get?
Yeah we forgot to take pics last time when it was like 15-20ft deep, but a lot of sand has been pushed in and it filled up quite a bit. Still like 10 feet deep though. Only place we found purple urchins on the whole trip.

Sweet that was a fun trip!!! How did the other creatures we collected fair. Ie the Surf smelt?

Surf smelt went to Josh's tank and its doing great. He did lose one small green sculpin into the skimmer and it got chewed by the pump, lol.

I moved all my ochre stars into the other tank so that I could put more tube worms into the dislpay and not have them get eaten.

Josh took home a bunch of the green anemones we had at my house yesterday so his tank should be looking baller right now.

But everything else we brought back so far is alive as far as I can see.

What all did we bring back?

Aggregating anemones

Some really cool red algae with feather type leaves.

Limpets

Lined Chitons

Mossy Chitons

hermit crabs

some small 6 legged stars (gray and pink mostly)

tube worms

orange hydroids

Several colors of sculpins (Green, Coralline pink spotted, brown/red)

2 very small clingfish ( one red, one yellow)

a 3" cling fish that is yellow with very tiny red dots

porcelin crabs

Red kelp crab

a coupling small sand burrowing crabs that are white with crazy lines on the shell

I grabbed some orange sponge and a few chunks of some strange encrusting stoney coral.

what else?

I wanna hear this story

So about 5:30 am we are rolling into Tillamook, we hit the speed trap that goes from 55 to 40 to 30 to 25 in about a 1/4 mile. I get on the brakes, but apparently not quick enough.

Red and blues come on, I pull over and put my keys on the dash, up comes this officer with gray hair and a gray mustache carrying a WWII issued 1911.

He tells me I was clocked doing 56 and 49 in a 30mph zone.

Well he hmmmed and hawwwed for a good 3 minutes before asking for my license.

Keep in mind he's staring at these 4 guys at 5:30 in the morning with a bunch of empty Rock Stars, Red Bulls, and packs of smokes laying around the car.

IMG_20110605_083224.jpg

IMG_20110605_105623.jpg

So he talks and talks, and after a lot of "Yes Officer" and "You are correct Officer" he tells me he's going to give me a $200 gift today. At this point we had no idea if he was letting us go, or giving me a ticket.

Then he tells us " I'm gonna let you boys go today because I don't feel like taking on all four of you. But you 3 ( he points to everyone else but me) better keep an eye one this one ( he puts his finger right in my chest) because he aint quite right today"

At that point he lets us go and we proceeded to be absolutely dumb founded by what just happened.(laugh)

My ridiculous string of good luck continued throughout the day, as I blindly netted through kelp several different times in the tide pools and pulled up a yellow Clingfish w/red spots one time, and a 12" Kelp Greenling on another swipe. :D

"My ridiculous string of good luck continued throughout the day, as I blindly netted through kelp several different times in the tide pools and pulled up a yellow Clingfish w/red spots one time, and a 12" Kelp Greenling on another swipe."

Mind you he netted the kelp greenling like 1 min after I was netting in the same spot. And like 5 seconds after he said we scared everthing lets try another spot. And whamo here come a large fish in a net.

so when is the next trip? :) I'm also wanting to try one of these tanks out. I do have a 75g glass setup I will be cleaning out as soon as I move up to a 200ish gallon tank' date=' but frankly I think a 40ish gallon cube would be perfect.[/quote']

Dont do it in the 75 gallon glass, you will regret it. It will sweat like a mofo, and your chiller will run non stop.

Get yourself something customer built from at least 3/4" or 1" acrylic. I got a projuect tank in the works that may be exactly what your looking for ;) Keep in touch and I'll let you know the final price.

Next trip will be scheduled as soon as another low tide corresponds with a sunday. Seems like that is the only time we can get everyone together early enough to make it worth while.

The next good low tide is on the 4th of July weekend, so driving to the beach we decided may not be the best day. It still may happen though depending on the amount of interest, and who can go.

I dont have ac yet but I plan on figuring something out before summer gets too hot.It wsill be in the living room along with my reef, which I will be upgrading to around a 290g soon.

I'm thinking IU would like some type of cube setup, not too large, maybe in the mid 40gallon range.

Do you guys have pictures of your wet dfry setups. Are you using something like bio balls or?

I'd be down to go along and im pretty much free most of the summer.

shaun

The Rally point for the meeting in the morning on Sunday July 3rd will be the Safeway parking off of 185th is nice and open and lit at that time of the moring.

There is also a gas station, Jack in the Box and a Sharis there in case we want to get anything before we leave.

Address for Safeway is:

2177 Northwest 185th., Hillsboro, OR

From there we can all carpool in my Jeep, I have room for me plus 3, and a trailer to haul any gear you want to bring.

All you need to do is contribute on gas to whoever you ride with so it all evens out for everyone :D