Ride Share for tidepool collecting during minus tides in the future.

NEXT TRIP INFO:

Sunday July 3rd:

Oceanside, OR

Low tide: 8:49 AM -1.3

Sunrise: 5:32 AM

So it would probably be the same sort of deal as the last few trips. Gotta get out of town by 4 am to get there at sunrise and then we'd have about 3 solid hours of outgoing tides.

The Rally point for the meeting in the morning on Sunday July 3rd will be the Safeway parking lot off of 185th

There is a gas station, Jack in the Box and a Sharis there in case we want to get anything before we leave.

Address for Safeway is:

2177 Northwest 185th., Hillsboro, OR

From there we can all carpool in my Jeep or with whoever has room and wants to drive. I have room for me plus 3, and a trailer to haul any gear you want to bring.

All you need to do is contribute on gas to whoever you ride with so it all evens out for everyone :D

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I thought I would throw out this idea for anyone who may in the future want to go with me when I go tidepool collecting.

I figure we all have access to the tide tables and know when good times to go would be, so I'll work on posting up times of minus tides and locations of where I'll be going and when. That way there will be multiple times so it can work around peoples lives and schedules.

So if you want to plan to come with me and share on gas, or are thinking about starting a coldwater tank just post up in here and get it going :D

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I may be interested just for the heck of it, and maybe help you stock your tank. I dont have a temperate tank but i'm kinda like a giant 8 year old when it comes to catching critters lol. I think my 7 year old would like it too.

I may be interested just for the heck of it' date=' and maybe help you stock your tank. I dont have a temperate tank but i'm kinda like a giant 8 year old when it comes to catching critters lol. I think my 7 year old would like it too.[/quote']

See thats the kinda think I was hoping for. I'm the same way when it comes to the tide pools and I just want to have people that are equally excited when I find something cool. You can only legally take 10 things per person, per day. So with more people going we can make the most out of the minus tides during our trips :D

You almost have me tempted to tear my reef apart and turn it into a coldwater system.

Muuuuuuhhaahahhah, come over to the Dark Side (devil) Its nice and cool this time of year.

If you would just give me that lobster tank you are selling I would go with you. I would even drive, pay for gas and buy lunch....ahahahahah.

After going to the aquarium this month I am Seriously considering adding a cold water system to my home.

Doug

I am down to go some time I love tidepooling. And once I get this 75 build finished I will do a coldwater garage tank.

If you would just give me that lobster tank you are selling I would go with you. I would even drive, pay for gas and buy lunch....ahahahahah.

After going to the aquarium this month I am Seriously considering adding a cold water system to my home.

Doug

Hey let me know when your ready, I'll keep an eye out for a deal on a lobster tank for you guys (rock2)

I'd go. I like to try out different temperate macros, which nearly always fail but something always takes, and I miss my sea gooseberries (:. Also need a bunch of tiny snail shells for an experiment, and some time on the beach. Kinda hoping to not do this til after this spell of nasty inclement weather passes, if that ever happens!

Kate

Wanted to give a heads up to anyone wanting to go tide pooling.

I have 1 more seat available in my Jeep for the my collecting trip on the Wednesday April 20th. We will be leaving the Portland area around 5am so that we can be near Oceanside by about 7am. Low point for the tide that day is at 9:15 so we should have a good solid 2hrs of the outgoing lowest tides to collect in.

• 1 month later...

Looks like the next tidepool excursion will be Sunday June 5th.

We will be going to the same spot as last time on exposed rocks near Three Arch Rocks National Wildlife Refuge in Oceanside.

There is a low tide of -1.0 at 9:52 am.

Sunrise is at 5:28 AM.

Drunkreefer and myself are planning on leaving town again around 4 am so that we can be there at sunrise and make the most of the outgoing tide until 9:52 am.

If anyone is interested in hitching a ride to go with us, or meeting us there, let me know :D

Does anyone know where to get a cast net, or a throw net, or if you have either of those let me know. I want to try and get some free swimming fish for my tank to go with the rock sculpins I have right now who stay near the bottom. The tank needs more movement.

I think I'm going to go pick up one of those fine mesh trout nets also since my dip net didn't hold up quite so well last time.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, I think I'm going to bring my trailer with me to haul all the gear in this time. We were getting pretty tight on space last time with just 3 guys. This way we can throw all the wet stuff back there also and we can keep just the livestock in the coolers and buckets with the air running to them in the rear hatch.

Also provides more room for coolers with beer if needed ;)