Red Bugs on all SPS

titus'reef

I got red bugs all over my acroporas(10+ colonies). I'm not sure if the millepora and birdsnest have it but how should I deal with it.

I have interceptor and I have used it before, but for some reason my tank is all infested. I don't have the time to take all the SPS out to treat the red bugs.

Any suggestions?

I got red bugs all over my acroporas(10+ colonies). I'm not sure if the millepora and birdsnest have it but how should I deal with it.

I have interceptor and I have used it before, but for some reason my tank is all infested. I don't have the time to take all the SPS out to treat the red bugs.

Any suggestions?

Honestly, if I ever get them again I dont think I will treat the tank-I did it and killed them all , but killing off all the pods was not worth it.

Check these reads out;

http://www.melevsreef.com/redbugs.html

http://www.talkingreef.com/forums/diy-projects/2961-victorias-redbug-treatment.html

good luck

Honestly, if I ever get them again I dont think I will treat the tank-I did it and killed them all , but killing off all the pods was not worth it.

Check these reads out;

http://www.melevsreef.com/redbugs.html

http://www.talkingreef.com/forums/diy-projects/2961-victorias-redbug-treatment.html

good luck

I have to agree with this. Doesn't seem worth it to totally destabilize your tank for something that does little or no harm.

I would never treat my whole tank again either. Really messes things up.

Sounds like you have determined you will not remove them to QT, so you are left with 2 options:

1. Treat the entire tank and suffer the results - but your redbugs will be gone!

2. Don't do anything

I treated my tank with no harm. But I have a 100g sump and 4 tanks connected with a lot of surface. So I didn't kill all my pods population.

I went for a light version applied more times (4) at 1 week interval.

Now I dip the new arrivals with interceptor. I've lost some during the dip, but this is the price to pay.

I also leave them in a QT now. Learned by mistake :)

As Miles (impur) pointed out, if you treat your tank they have to die. Follow the article that reefnjunkie posted.

If you go for treating them in another vessel, then leave the corals in quarantine. As the word says: 40 days at least. So the new born will die in your tank without acros. Millis and seriatopora should be fine in the display

I have only limited experience with the RB's BUT...... I brought a frag (or 2) home from a fellow reefer and ended up with'em on multiple frags on a frag rack and I definatly noticed the unhappyness of my corals on that particular rack. Retracted polyps, stunted growth overall unhappy. I personally can't deal with'em, best to be proactive and avoid an epidemic IMO.

The thing is that I don't have a way of setting a QT. Lack of room and equipment. My corals seem to be fine as of sight now instead some got good color and the growing rate looks okay to me.

I think the best for my situation is to treat the whole tank. But I do have some hermit crabs and 2 fire-shrimp. Are they going to be fine, or I should remove them?

I used a little 2 1/2 gallon tank for treating my rack. Followed the instructions for dipping treatment on melves reef site it took about an hour /or two and rinsed then things were fine. The little tank was full of dead reds. All you need is somthing big enough for the smooth skinned corals to be placed in and a small pump for circulation. I know its easier said than done though. Good luck.

FWIW-my 2 fire/blood shrimp survived-I only had the red bugs on 2-3 of my acros-out of 35+ thats not bad, as most reads sayit is the smooth bodied ones loripes, granulosa etc

That link from live aquaria is interesting-its the only posting/article I have read that says iodine kills them-1 out of many-I'm skeptical purely by the percentages that say iodine does not kill them-

If the tank is only 5 months old pod production should be low so I'd jump on it now vs later.

You have any idea where they came from-

Well,... last time I bought some colonies it was from Westside.Now, I don't want to say it was from him, even though it might be possible. I did dip the corals in Coral Rx but it probably wasn't so effective. My tank it's actually pretty populated with pods.

I wonder... could you QT live rock from the DT in a Brute while you nuke the tank with Interceptor? Then put the LR back in to the DT once the redbugs are gone to re-seed the 'pod population...

One problem with just living with them is that you can't share/sell frags.

Well' date='... last time I bought some colonies it was from Westside.Now, I don't want to say it was from him, even though it might be possible. I did dip the corals in Coral Rx but it probably wasn't so effective. My tank it's actually pretty populated with pods.[/quote']

We dip all our corals before sale it, and all people had bought corals from us never have this problem, I don't understand why you have problem now 6 months later, if there was red bug on corals at the time you purchase with dipping it with coral Rx it will get rid of the bug and you should be able to see it on the corals pretty well so why don't you say something at the time of purchase why now six months later.

Tim

I have been buying from Westside since day 1 of my 1st tank set up (1 3/4 yrs) and have almost one of everything that has come through there SPS wise, and I have NEVER, seen a RB on ANYTHING in that entire store. No one could ever get me to believe that buying somthing from there was the source of RB's.

We dip all our corals before sale it, and all people had bought corals from us never have this problem, I don't understand why you have problem now 6 months later, if there was red bug on corals at the time you purchase with dipping it with coral Rx it will get rid of the bug and you should be able to see it on the corals pretty well so why don't you say something at the time of purchase why now six months later.

Tim

FWIW-my 2 fire/blood shrimp survived-I only had the red bugs on 2-3 of my acros-out of 35+ thats not bad, as most reads sayit is the smooth bodied ones loripes, granulosa etc

That link from live aquaria is interesting-its the only posting/article I have read that says iodine kills them-1 out of many-I'm skeptical purely by the percentages that say iodine does not kill them-

If the tank is only 5 months old pod production should be low so I'd jump on it now vs later.

You have any idea where they came from-

I was just being honest by saying where I bought the last frags from. I am sorry for getting into this kind of conversation. I AM NOT intending to make Tim look bad and I am not saying that his corals have red bugs. Again it was just a speculation. I apologize to everyone, Tim is actually a great guy and i'm sure he wan't to stay in the business for a while, so why wouldn't he deep his corals? I know in fact, some stores sell the corals straight from the ocean full of parasites and don't even care about it.