Some clam-eye candy

ShaunMonahan

Very very nice clam! How big are they? You need to start selling these with your clam hook up.

Back off there John! The clam police have spoken!(nono):p Besides I already asked him to let me know if he decides he wants to part with one!(laugh)

They are beautiful Shaun...(drooler)

I posted first Kim..... It's mine!(laugh). I know it's not for sale. Or is it? Lol. Everything is for sale.(laugh)

LOL wrong! Look at his classifieds for the carpet anemone. Sweet deal for it by the way! LOL you know you're an addict when you are fighting over a clam that isn't even for sale!

rofl

Very very nice clam! How big are they? You need to start selling these with your clam hook up.

From the picture posted you can maybe see there are (2). The halide reflection interferes with the green striped one which is 5.5" and the one clearly pictured is a little larger than 6"

Ahhh, some day perhaps.

That is sweat! It's too bad the tiny ones don't do very well, I would love to get a small one in hopes it would grow into something like that.

Do you have to supplement calcium often???

Smaller than 2" maxima clams are a bit of a challenge to keep. They really seem to become easy at 2" and I cannot answer why this is. I am guessing, but I speculate that once these maxima clams have reached around 2" in size, most of their nutrition is met by photosynthesis instead of phytoplankton, photosynthesis and nitrogen fixing.

I have to supplement daily calcium, yes. I have a calcium reactor but I do not have it online as of now... I use the Brightwell A & B which works very well.

Beautiful clams. I love the gorgonian also. Is that a purple lace?

Thanks and thanks. I am a HUGE fan of photosynthetic gorgonians as they actually live/thrive in captive reefs. This is Gorgonia ventalina from the carribean which is very rare in our hobby - It's a nice bright purple and is always polyped out, day and night, kinda looks fake but it's the real deal.

Last I checked, Live Aquaria sells small frags of this for $110 ea + shipping.... See their website under cultured corals.

I have a really nice 2" frag of it I am going to be trading/selling here soon. You can see it in the last clam pic at the lower right corner'ish of the photo next to a neon polyped tyree toadstool leather.

Man, I need a decent camera as this one just doesn't cut it. I need more MACRO man!

It is a frag.

The large gorgonian has put on about 3/4" in just over 2 months - I do not feed.

I did the frag last week and I want to make sure it bonds to the rubble before posting it FS/FT. I don't know what I want for it - surely not $110, but something spicy to take it's place, hint, hint.

No worries on hijacking, if anyone's guilty of this it's me...

Yes, they ARE.

DSCN1434.jpg

Yeah it looks pretty crowded in there Shaun. I have a nice open sandbed in my new sps tank.(naughty) Quick before Beth throws in another frag rack (laugh)

By the way, Smann says you told him what the large green sps was that was in his tank. I was told it was porites but you said it was something else. I got a frag from Calvin (Kilmca) and was just wondering what it really was.

Yeah it looks pretty crowded in there Shaun.

....The problem with a narrow and shallow small tank. Your ulterior motives are commendable and swaying. I'll think about it some more.

By the way' date=' Smann says you told him what the large green sps was that was in his tank. I was told it was porites but you said it was something else. I got a frag from Calvin (Kilmca) and was just wondering what it really was.[/quote']

Sure, it's Psammocora contigua (the "P" is silent) <-only when I sit! oh no... I am in trouble ;)

It's a very cool coral and these guys would show up from time to time of Fiji LR, usually ugly brown. They can be aggressive like hydophora without the sweepers. Very nice coral and Smann Steve's tank is freak'in gorgeous!

....The problem with a narrow and shallow small tank. Your ulterior motives are commendable and swaying. I'll think about it some more.

Sure, it's Psammocora contigua (the "P" is silent)

It's a very cool coral and these guys would show up from time to time of Fiji LR, usually ugly brown. They can be aggressive like hydophora without the sweepers. Very nice coral and Smann Steve's tank is freak'in gorgeous!

Thanks! Psammacora Contigua! Got it! And no worries, that's pretty tame.. you should see the pms Reefnjunkie sends me LOL! Subliminal message.... think of all the corals you can put in that space vacated by a clam....

Smann's tank is gorgeous!

Yes, they ARE.

DSCN1434.jpg

Isnt that strange though how they totally change color-Top down Green through the side Blue (to me) very nice regardless-I really like the GTD maximas, the ones where they are almost orange. I had a beauty that I murdered when trying to dose vodka.

i realize now vodka belongs in my stomach not my tank (laugh)

Isnt that strange though how they totally change color-Top down Green through the side Blue (to me) very nice regardless-I really like the GTD maximas, the ones where they are almost orange. I had a beauty that I murdered when trying to dose vodka.

i realize now vodka belongs in my stomach not my tank (laugh)

What is/was GTD?

Ah vodka, yes- in stomach is much better than in clam/reef tank. It's funny to hear vodka as a de-nitrate fuel, as going way back denitrators were sold and used grain alcohol like gin. I don't think the bacteria cares either way.